What Is Your Source Of Truth About God?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
In a couple of recent threads, discussions about God were sometimes supported by the Scriptures (the 66 books that comprise the Old and New Testament). Others pointed out that not everyone looks to the Scriptures as their source of Truth.

So, my question is: What is your source of Truth about God?

A very good question.

I believe many are lost looking at the "Letter of the Law"

I think they want more than they need.

To believe the Scriptures are the "exact words of God" puts one in a perilous position.

At some point ration and science may cause them to accept that it is not possible that the earth is only 6000 years old. Noah gathered every species on earth, etc.

I believe the "Spirit of the teachings" are where it is at.

Worrying about eternal life suggest to me that one has not grasped that "Heaven" can be here on earth, with our loved ones, with God's presence radiating in our interactions with others.

What is eternal life? What are we saved from?
If we can not live at peace and with peace, we may need to be saved from ourselves. I do not want to spend an eternity with a self-obsessed person, especially if I am that person.

Simply, the truth of God is in selflessness.

I look around me and from that I try to understand god. I think creation is a reflection of god.

I believe knowing truth about god is impossible, all experiences are subjective. The only truth is that we cannot know it.

Or to deal with the inherent and illogical fear of death, a very human emotion to be sure. But if you think about it what was life like before you were born, its exatly the same for when you die, your concious is totally absent and nothing will ever effect you. That isnt to say that god doesnt exist but just a different way to dealing with ones mortality.

I dont think there is any truth.
I dont think it is contained within a book.
I dont think there are any answers, only questions contained in everything around us.

'Tis a big old world and I dont reckon it 'just happened', I dont think any truth is something us mere humans will ever understand.

the truth is everywhere and nowhere , it is in me , in my brain , somewhere , maybe

we can't go into space , properly , earth is one big messy wild zoo

I agree with Angela Harlem.

I most definitely don't believe the truth to be confined to any book. It is all around us.

some good quotes

Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love. ? 1 John 4:8
Believe in love's infinite journey, for it is your own, for you are love. Love is life. ? Rumi (1207-1273)
Persian, Sufi mystic, poet.
Deep in each one of us there is an inner pull toward some higher form of life, an underlying but insistent urge that prompts us ? like the flower which innately turns toward the sun ? to look toward something greater than ourselves. ? Roberto Assagioli (1888 - 1974)
All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love. Everything is united by it alone. Love is God, and to die means that I, a particle of love, shall return to the general and eternal source. ? Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910), Russian novelist, philosopher.

anitram said:
I agree with Angela Harlem.

I most definitely don't believe the truth to be confined to any book. It is all around us.

So, in essence, Truth can be anything we want it to be? It is all relative?

She didn't say Truth can be anything we want it to. She said she believes there are many sources of Truth.

I remind everyone that no one appreciates having words put in their respective mouths.

Right?

Sorry, that is why I asked a question instead of making a statement. With many sources of Truth, what happens when you have conflicting sources? Is this a matter of finding the greatest common denominator of beliefs?

You can imply all you want with your statements. If you don't want to answer the question or pose another question - that's up to you. Making negative implications of my posts will not further the discussion.

Nbc, I think you're taking what I said far too personally. There was no offence intended and I don't throw insults or seek negative discussions. I certainly don't want to make any discussion into an argument between two inviduals: it should be about the issues, not the individuals.

I want us (FYM) to be able to have a civil and inclusive debate and I feel that when people make blanket "this is the TRUTH" statements, it works to exclude those who disagree from the discussion. I personally reject the idea that there is one "truth" because I believe in respecting everyone's right to find their own "truth."

*Fizz. :)

My heart tells me the truht about God. I am always cautious when people talk to me that they found the thruth about god.

Last edited:
Fair enough :wave:

Given the diversity of beliefs and truths shared on this forum, we all tend to make "this is the truth" type statements. I have no intention of excluding anyone from the discussion.

Common Sense and sanity is the source of truth about god for me.

I'm not going to surrender my sanity by believing that a fictional character is actually a real thing.

Rather than wasting time dwelling over how we got here, I accept that we don't know, and we must live for the moment, the one life we got.

I refuse and feel offended when people say that we are god's children. No way. I am the child of my mum and dad and noone else.

God is not in me. God is just a weak theory some clown developed I believe, and the theory for our existence has been blown dangerously out of proportion.

If god was here, I could see him. I can't see him, so he is not here, therefore god doesn't exist.

I'm not gonna let the death threats in the book of psalms take my pride as an athiest away.

If I am a sinner, I am proud to sin
If I am a devil, I am prud to be the devil.

intedomine said:
God is not in me. God is just a weak theory some clown developed I believe, and the theory for our existence has been blown dangerously out of proportion.

Have you read His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman? One of the main premises of this series is that God is actually a "bad" being. The first person who came to be simply told everyone afterwards that he was god and had created them. A VERY interesting read and my favorite books.

If god was here, I could see him. I can't see him, so he is not here, therefore god doesn't exist.

I can see God, therefore, he does exist. :shrug:

One other question, just out of curiosity, if you are so against the existence of a god, why did you choose a screenname that means "in you, God (i.e. in you, I find God)" or "in you, Lord" ?

Last edited:
intedomine said:

I'm not going to surrender my sanity by believing that a fictional character is actually a real thing.

Rather than wasting time dwelling over how we got here, I accept that we don't know, and we must live for the moment, the one life we got.

I'm not gonna let the death threats in the book of psalms take my pride as an athiest away.

If I am a sinner, I am proud to sin
If I am a devil, I am prud to be the devil.

First of all I would never call an athiest the devil, that's just pure arrogance. And we're all sinners even though some "religious" folk come off as though they aren't or that their sin isn't as bad as others.

But I have a few questions to ask if you don't mind. I'm not judging or preaching here, just curious. Not only do I respect your view, but I do understand it to a point.

But this is what I'm curious about...I'm wondering if you belive in Love? I mean do you believe in that one thing that binds you to certain people, that makes you want to do anything to protect that person, that just makes you a better person, etc.? Be it love for a friend, brother, lover what not...

Here's why I ask, love can't be measured, it can't be proven by science, it can't be seen in a physical form outside of actions.

The other thing I've always been curious of is as an athiest who doesn't belive in an afterlife and believes this is the only time I have what causes you from not completely just doing whatever it is you feel like doing? Besides law or reprucusions(sp?), is there anything else that causes you not to just do whatever your self desires if you can get away with it?

I've only met a few proclaimed atheist and none that I've ever been able to talk to them about, so I'm just curious.

remember , it's all fiction , we all in that fiction , to me jesus , god are real as well as batman , John kerry and daffy duck . like beatles said , its all in your mind .

I can't answer for intedomine, but I used to wonder if I was an atheist until I realised it wasn't really what I thought at all. On your question about love, it is a feeling. Anyone can feel it and most of us do. Like what many say about God and/or their religion. They feel it. Some don't feel a God is there, but love is something they can feel. They can identify with it even though it is not a tangible form. I asked a question or posted a thought on something kind of related in another thread on people who search for God and a way of belief, but can't find it. I dont want to sidetrack the thread, but I feel it all relates back to the themes in all these topics in a way.

As for doing good, choosing not to do 'bad' again I can't answer for intedomine and dont wish to put words in anyone's mouth but aren't most humans inclined this way anyway? Regardless of faith and which path we all take. Sure we all do fall off the horse occasionally, but essentially people strive to be good. Some/many whatever live their life with their beliefs set in place but not always at the forefront of their minds. Even some who devoutly believe dont always base their actions and decisions on a religious or spiritual basis. Some call it consience. Some have it there in the background but it's like a habit, or something you dont really give a lot of concious thought to.

*Thanks also to those who commented on my other post. Also apologies if it was unclear at all. I'll reply if nbc is interested at a later time as it is getting pretty late lol...

nbcrusader said:

So, in essence, Truth can be anything we want it to be? It is all relative?
the truth isn't relative
it can't be

but since none of us know the truth on this one
it wouldn't really matter if it was relative

if my relatives have the truth...the world is in big trouble....:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom