What is your opinion on abortion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:
I am anti-abortion but because I feel there are SO few cases where a woman might feel warrarented....

But who decides what is warrented and what isn't? Does anyone really know what another person is dealing with? As someone noted in the abortion companion thread, what one person might find totally unmanageble, another may have no problem handling. The inverse is also true.

iacrobat said:

Sorry, my fault. What I should have said was: are you really comparing people who feel it is humane to abort a severely retarded fetus, and those who have had an abortion for this reason to Hitler?

Maybe I've got my history all mixed up, but I always believed Hitler was trying to help along the master race, gene pool, and so forth, that it was not an attempt to be humane.

Starsgoblue:

PP?

What I am saying is that it isn't humane. They are essentially making the decision based on the same reasoning Hitler used to do away with "flawed" people. That reasoning is essentially, they are of no use to society, they serve no purpose, they have nothing to offer and no one has anything to offer them. Now his motives were different, yes, he wanted to bring about a master race, but at the end of the day, I see the reasoning for both to be quite similar.

In truth it's the entire notion of playing God in general that is wrong. Aborting a child that is going to be born with defects in the end is no different than aborting one that is found to be perfectly healthy. It is taking on a role of saying who can be born and who can't and then justifying it by saying its the wise, or (in cases such as we are discussing) the humane thing to do.

Carrie

thacraic said:

What I am saying is that it isn't humane. They are essentially making the decision based on the same reasoning Hitler used to do away with "flawed" people. That reasoning is essentially, they are of no use to society, they serve no purpose, they have nothing to offer and no one has anything to offer them. Now his motives were different, yes, he wanted to bring about a master race, but at the end of the day, I see the reasoning for both to be quite similar.

In truth it's the entire notion of playing God in general that is wrong. Aborting a child that is going to be born with defects in the end is no different than aborting one that is found to be perfectly healthy. It is taking on a role of saying who can be born and who can't and then justifying it by saying its the wise, or (in cases such as we are discussing) the humane thing to do.

Carrie

I don't think the reasoning is the same. If I were in that position, I honestly don't know what I'd do. Generally I am against abortion, but think people should be able to choose. What I would consider, and I believe what other people might consider is how the child will be affected, quality of life, etc, and how they themselves will be affected. It is not a question of stepping back and coldly desiding if your child will be of any value to society. I think it is entirely personal.

The motives are essential and they are what marks the differenc between a person making this decision versus a man trying to shape the genetic makeup of a people.

Bad comparison.

Edited to add:

May I also say that I am not sure that it is playing God. Humans obviously have a very significant role in creating the fetus, in creating new life. It really isn't an act of God.

Last edited:
iacrobat,

I don't think its a bad comparison. I have stated why I feel as I do. The reasoning counts as well. The rationale that someone should not come into existence because they are going to be challanged is what? It's making the decision that they don't deserve to live just because of that. That a challanged chilld's life is not worth as much as a healthy child's life is the same mentality that Hitler had. I don't understand how you can't see that?

Yes we have an active roll in creating life. To take a life though? That is in essence is deciding when that life ends. If that isn't playing God what is it?

Take care,

Carrie

I'd like to compliment everyone who has replied to this thread (plus to the current one on the death penalty, and the companion to the abortion thread). Even though all are expressing strongly held and heartfelt opinions, there is virtually no sniping or personal attacks.

Just thought I'd note this. We always hear when a thread goes bad, but these threads are good examples of sensitive issues sensibly discussed.

thacraic said:
iacrobat,

I don't think its a bad comparison. I have stated why I feel as I do. The reasoning counts as well. The rationale that someone should not come into existence because they are going to be challanged is what? It's making the decision that they don't deserve to live just because of that. That a challanged chilld's life is not worth as much as a healthy child's life is the same mentality that Hitler had. I don't understand how you can't see that?

Yes we have an active roll in creating life. To take a life though? That is in essence is deciding when that life ends. If that isn't playing God what is it?

Take care,

Carrie

Ah but when a normal murder is commited, one existing person killing another, you don't see everyone saying "He played God! He played God!", do you? Few people say it in that scenario, and as long as that remains true, you can't use it in this scenario.

thacraic said:
iacrobat,

Take care,

Carrie

I don't think comparing people who have an honest difference of opinion with you to Hitler is needed. Have you ever taken care of a severly disabled person? Not to say you wouldn't if you had to, but if you haven't, you can't possibly know what it is like.

If you believe your view is the ONLY correct one, isn't that acting as if you are god too?

And this spring my siblings and I, after discussing all options with several doctors, made the decision to "pull the plug" on my mom. And she then died. Yes, we decided when her life ended...we knew driving to the hospital that last morning that was the day she would die. Are you going to tell me we had the "same mentality that Hitler had?"

Last edited:
namkcur,

When someone murders someone yes they are deciding when that person lifes ends and they have no right to make that decision. That is why there are laws against murder.

indra,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my dad on Thanksgiving Day 1999 and I still miss him.

I really don't know how to approach this issue of life support, seeing as how it hits so close to home to you. I have to say I think it is a bit different though. I can not see that one making the decision to take someone off of life support is the same as saying someone with severe defects doesn't have a right to even begin life. It is two different scenarios. Maybe I am wrong.

Also, if one has an opinion they usually stand by it? That is the whole point of discourse. I don't see how standing by ones opinion could be taking on the roll of God.

At any rate, you two take care....

Carrie

indra said:
I'd like to compliment everyone who has replied to this thread (plus to the current one on the death penalty, and the companion to the abortion thread). Even though all are expressing strongly held and heartfelt opinions, there is virtually no sniping or personal attacks.

Just thought I'd note this. We always hear when a thread goes bad, but these threads are good examples of sensitive issues sensibly discussed.

:up:

thacraic said:
iacrobat,

Take care,

Carrie

Sorry, I just don't see it.

I don't think people actually measure the value of a child's life against another's.

Implying that killing someone is playing God also implies that when someone dies, it is their time. Is that so?

What I don't understand is how people can say "well I don't believe in abortion but I think everyone should make their own choice". I just don't think that's right. That's basically saying "I believe if you're having an abortion you're murdering, but who am I tell tell anyone not to murder?". That just makes no sense. How can you sit back and say murder should be allowed?

Osama Bin Laden truly believed that what he did on 9/11 was right. Those terrorists truly believed it was ok to murder with all their heart. Does that mean it was right? No. I'm not saying people who are pro-choice are terrorists or anything, I'm just saying murder is murder and it's not just a matter of beliefs!! If an innocent life is intentionally being destroyed It can't be justified no matter what. It sounds close-minded of me but I believe that that's the truth, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, plain and simple.

I'm tired of the "it's my stomach so it's my choice" thing too. I think that's just stupid. Who the heck decided that's how things are? WHY is it ok to kill a completely innocent child just because it's in your stomach? It's a person! How can you WANT TO KILL AN INNOCENT BABY??? That's exactly what abortion is! What ever happened "though shalt not kill"? The Bible doesn't say "Thou shalt kill if it's in thine stomach" or some such BS. Of course I don't expect non-christians to care what the Bible says.

I'm just tired of people treating right and wrong in a totally relative fashion. Our society doesn't work that way. Some people believe it's perfectly fine to do completely destructive things and they believe it with all their heart. Does that mean our society should allow it? Of course not. There's a right and there's a wrong. If you aren't doing the right thing you're doing the wrong thing wheather you believe it or not.

People can do things I believe are wrong but I usually won't care too much just because they're not affecting anyone else. The thing about abortion is you can't get around the fact that it's AT LEAST a potential murder. Period. I don't think that's right under any circumstance, and I don't believe our society should allow it. I believe anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
What I don't understand is how people can say "well I don't believe in abortion but I think everyone should make their own choice". I just don't think that's right. That's basically saying "I believe if you're having an abortion you're murdering, but who am I tell tell anyone not to murder?". That just makes no sense. How can you sit back and say murder should be allowed?

Osama Bin Laden truly believed that what he did on 9/11 was right. Those terrorists truly believed it was ok to murder with all their heart. Does that mean it was right? No. I'm not saying people who are pro-choice are terrorists or anything, I'm just saying murder is murder and it's not just a matter of beliefs!! If an innocent life is intentionally being destroyed It can't be justified no matter what. It sounds close-minded of me but I believe that that's the truth, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, plain and simple.

I'm tired of the "it's my stomach so it's my choice" thing too. I think that's just stupid. Who the heck decided that's how things are? WHY is it ok to kill a completely innocent child just because it's in your stomach? It's a person! How can you WANT TO KILL AN INNOCENT BABY??? That's exactly what abortion is! What ever happened "though shalt not kill"? The Bible doesn't say "Thou shalt kill if it's in thine stomach" or some such BS. Of course I don't expect non-christians to care what the Bible says.

I'm just tired of people treating right and wrong in a totally relative fashion. Our society doesn't work that way. Some people believe it's perfectly fine to do completely destructive things and they believe it with all their heart. Does that mean our society should allow it? Of course not. There's a right and there's a wrong. If you aren't doing the right thing you're doing the wrong thing wheather you believe it or not.

People can do things I believe are wrong but I usually won't care too much just because they're not affecting anyone else. The thing about abortion is you can't get around the fact that it's AT LEAST a potential murder. Period. I don't think that's right under any circumstance, and I don't believe our society should allow it. I believe anyone who disagrees is wrong.

And you can believe whatever you want. But I can too. And I will.

Again, you really think babies are in their mothers stomachs? Perhaps you should read a book on "the facts of life" dear. A baby is not in it's mother's stomach (unless she's eaten it), but in her womb, or more specifically, her uterus.

indra said:

And you can believe whatever you want. But I can too. And I will.

Again, you really think babies are in their mothers stomachs? Perhaps you should read a book on "the facts of life" dear. A baby is not in it's mother's stomach (unless she's eaten it), but in her womb, or more specifically, her uterus.

You know what I mean dude...

And if you believe that abortions are fine then tell me why. Tell me why you believe that either the baby isn't a human, or why you believe that the fact that it's in its mother's WOMB makes it fine for her to kill it. Tell me WHY you believe these things. Don't just tell me you believe it because you feel that way, because that's completely baseless.

Shart does that mean that masturbation is killing children? Those are babies as well? What about menstruation? Those are dead children as well. The point is that people who are for abortion do not see what they are aborting as children, but as potential children. Your belief that a soul/life begins with the sperm and egg attaching to each other is not a scientifically proven fact, it is a belief. No one is for killing children. The difference in opinion is when a fetus becomes a child.

Wow, I read in a book when someone asked Bono, Bono said, "I think it's a woman's choice, definitely."

I am the predicament of a 'surprise' pregnancy myself, and never was I judgmental on the abortion issue. I do not know how I feel on the subject, and even being pregnant right now does not make me any smarter on the subject.
I didn't do this by myself, and I wasn't being 'irresponsible' with my ex-boyfriend and nor am I looking at abortion 'as an easy way out'.
This is my whole life at stake here, and I hate my already made life. My mom had me at 17 and, whew, was it a hard life! I sometimes wish abortion was available to her back then!!!
I'm 26, unwed, uneducated, and I know I'm not going to make a good mother. I'm going to have to live with my uncle, scrape by on my wages, and what about the father? The father has turned his back on me, refusing to accept responsibility.
I am still in the midst of making a decision, and trust me, it's not a sort of decision to make in one day, or one week.
But I'm glad that law isn't in the way.

MissMoo said:
Shart does that mean that masturbation is killing children? Those are babies as well? What about menstruation? Those are dead children as well. The point is that people who are for abortion do not see what they are aborting as children, but as potential children. Your belief that a soul/life begins with the sperm and egg attaching to each other is not a scientifically proven fact, it is a belief. No one is for killing children. The difference in opinion is when a fetus becomes a child.

That's a bogus argument that people have brought up with me a million times. A sperm isn't alive and neither is an egg. A fertilized egg is a growing person at its earliest stage. A sperm is nothing but a sperm and an egg is just an egg, but a baby is way more than just a sperm and an egg.

And no, alot of people who are for abortion see them as living babies, not just potential children. Their excuse isn't that they're not alive but just that it's their choice just because it's in their womb, which I think is an ignorant argument.

xtal said:
Wow, I read in a book when someone asked Bono, Bono said, "I think it's a woman's choice, definitely."

I am the predicament of a 'surprise' pregnancy myself, and never was I judgmental on the abortion issue. I do not know how I feel on the subject, and even being pregnant right now does not make me any smarter on the subject.
I didn't do this by myself, and I wasn't being 'irresponsible' with my ex-boyfriend and nor am I looking at abortion 'as an easy way out'.
This is my whole life at stake here, and I hate my already made life. My mom had me at 17 and, whew, was it a hard life! I sometimes wish abortion was available to her back then!!!
I'm 26, unwed, uneducated, and I know I'm not going to make a good mother. I'm going to have to live with my uncle, scrape by on my wages, and what about the father? The father has turned his back on me, refusing to accept responsibility.
I am still in the midst of making a decision, and trust me, it's not a sort of decision to make in one day, or one week.
But I'm glad that law isn't in the way.

Well, you at least seem to be a thinking person, and that's a big step. Whatever you decide, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. ONLY you know what you face, and ONLY you can make the right decision. I wish you well.

shart1780 said:

You know what I mean dude...

And if you believe that abortions are fine then tell me why. Tell me why you believe that either the baby isn't a human, or why you believe that the fact that it's in its mother's WOMB makes it fine for her to kill it. Tell me WHY you believe these things. Don't just tell me you believe it because you feel that way, because that's completely baseless.

Well, well, well...you can type the word womb! I find it interesting that you want to require women to have the baby, but you seem too squeamish to even type the words womb or uterus. I find that pretty funny.

You really think you know it all, don't you? I believe abortion must remain a legal choice because I know I don't know everything. I don't know what preceisely each and every pregnant woman is dealing with, physically, emotionally, whatever. How in the world can I possibly tell her she MUST continue her pregnancy if it will be destructive in whatever way?

I realize I will seem like a truly horrid person to you for what I write now, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not the fetus is a human or not. I believe abortion must remain a legal option because a pregnancy has a profound effect on each and every woman, and a different profound effect on each and every woman...one that NO ONE else can ever truly understand. You can try to compare being pregnant to anything else, but it doesn't work.

I realize, shart, that it won't make any sense to you, but it does to me. And I trust myself far more than I trust you.

indra said:

Well, well, well...you can type the word womb! I find it interesting that you want to require women to have the baby, but you seem too squeamish to even type the words womb or uterus. I find that pretty funny.

You really think you know it all, don't you? I believe abortion must remain a legal choice because I know I don't know everything. I don't know what preceisely each and every pregnant woman is dealing with, physically, emotionally, whatever. How in the world can I possibly tell her she MUST continue her pregnancy if it will be destructive in whatever way?

I realize I will seem like a truly horrid person to you for what I write now, but it doesn't really matter to me whether or not the fetus is a human or not. I believe abortion must remain a legal option because a pregnancy has a profound effect on each and every woman, and a different profound effect on each and every woman...one that NO ONE else can ever truly understand. You can try to compare being pregnant to anything else, but it doesn't work.

I realize, shart, that it won't make any sense to you, but it does to me. And I trust myself far more than I trust you.

Well, I honestly think I know how it feels to consider keeping an unplanned child more than almost everyone in here. Don't think it only affects the mother.

Shart please stop with these ridiculous and unfounded generalisations. Seriously mate, you dont have a damn clue what anyone in here has been through. You might know your own situation well, and I assume you do anyway, but you cannot compare yourself to the number of others who post in here when you dont even know our real names let alone our stories.

shart1780 said:

Well, I honestly think I know how it feels to consider keeping an unplanned child more than almost everyone in here. Don't think it only affects the mother.

Then I suggest you don't get an abortion. ;)

iacrobat said:

Sorry, I just don't see it.

I don't think people actually measure the value of a child's life against another's.

Implying that killing someone is playing God also implies that when someone dies, it is their time. Is that so?

On your not seeing it.... its cool.. we can agree to disagree.

On measuring the value... i see it as they are. Agree to disagree...

And on the last statement.... That is an excellent point because I do feel that when someone dies God has a reason for it. On the other hand when someone is murdered, there are laws against it, meaning its not right. So my choice of words "playing God" was a poor one maybe. Yet when someone kills another person it is their way of saying, ok now, your time is up. They are making that decision when they have no right to. If they had such a right, there would be no such thing as death row.

Take care,

Carrie (who is really regretting saying "playing God")

MissMoo said:

Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine wall. The wall sheds because an egg has not attached itself to it, so no, menstrual cycles are not monthly miscarriages. Sperm, again no on that.

It is when an egg is fertilized by a sperm and attaches itself to the uterine wall that the life cycle of a human begins. I mean a plant's life begins when a seed planted in the ground is fertilized then germinates. When a seed falls to the ground it may have living cells in it but if its not fertilized it will never begin a life cycle.

It is a proven fact that the human life begins in the same way. Look at any diagram which maps out the human life cycle and you will see a sperm, egg, zygote, embryo, fetus... etc etc.

Science says life begins at conception, it's at which point that a child is considered "human" that, for whatever reason, seems to be in question.

Take care,

Carrie

bonosloveslave said:
My thoughts and prayers are with you xtal, this must be a very heavy load to bear :(

:hug:

Well put, and I would like to second that and send much love to xtal.

Carrie

thacraic said:

On your not seeing it.... its cool.. we can agree to disagree.

On measuring the value... i see it as they are. Agree to disagree...

And on the last statement.... That is an excellent point because I do feel that when someone dies God has a reason for it. On the other hand when someone is murdered, there are laws against it, meaning its not right. So my choice of words "playing God" was a poor one maybe. Yet when someone kills another person it is their way of saying, ok now, your time is up. They are making that decision when they have no right to. If they had such a right, there would be no such thing as death row.

Take care,

Carrie (who is really regretting saying "playing God")

Cool.

On the last point, I could never believe that God has reason for people's death. There is just too much injustice in the world.

Shart,

I said I don't like abortion but believe that women should be able to choose because I am not sure that it is murder. There are also a shitload of people who don't think it is, so that has to be considered as well.

:hug: xtal

indra said:

Well, you at least seem to be a thinking person, and that's a big step. Whatever you decide, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. ONLY you know what you face, and ONLY you can make the right decision. I wish you well.

Thank you, I seem to be a thinking person only because I am constantly thinking!
I have confided in a lot of friends, they do not tell me what to do, nor they do not persuade me to go on one idea. I am thankful for understanding friends and their support. I don't need people telling me what I cannot do and what I can do. I don't want people to try and make my decision for me, that's a thing I know for sure. I went out with my friends tonight for a birthday party and I know I hate being pregnant already. It's so lonely being pregnant and not having a partner. I never felt alone before.
It's scary being in my place. I wouldn't mind if I was married, but I am not. And everywhere I look, I see places with people that can judge, and even if they are not the Almighty Judge, they still take the duty upon themselves. That's what scares me the most.

Back
Top Bottom