What is wrong with the threads in here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FYM is only the reflection of the posters. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If people don't like it? They can try and post new articles themselves.

Melon

we respond to the easy, emotional issues and let the harder, intellectual issues slip away.

(am myself guilty as charged)

probably easy to spit out a gut reaction than compose a fact-based argument when i check FYM whilst at work.

also, more nudity needed.

I for one am somewhat tired of the same arguments and so have been hesitant to post a few discussion as it always goes into Bush bashing and not discussing the merits of the issue. For example

ACLU charging Rumsfeld with torture
Rep. Sam Johnson R-Texas saying he can fly a F-15 over Syria and drop a couple of nukes and no worries
The budget, bankruptcy

And more nudity please :wink:

U2democrat said:
:yes:

nudity is definitely needed.

(psst...irvine....i posted my op/ed)

i know -- i saw and read and liked, and want to give you indepth feedback, but i don't usually have time during the day (work's a bitch, you know?) and we're currently without internet at my house. when is it due? by next week we should be back online and i'll have time (if you want) to respond with more thought at night.

but, at first blush, good work. well argued, and you nicely kept it legal and not about acceptance of homosexuality but about how a ban is unnecessary (and, imho, downright nasty).

maybe we should change roles. lets have the liberals defend bush and the war, and the conservatives oppose the war and bash bush! now that would be interesting!

and whats wrong with FYM? well, all threads kind of end up being the same thing (why bush is a wanker etc.). i admit that i am most certainly responsible of this :huh:

also, i think it is pretty predictable how everyone will respond to everthing. strong conservative opinion is conservative about everythin and liberals always whine about the same things.

if i post that elections are held in baziloonia, bush supporters would jump in and say 'see, its cause of iraq! we did such an awesome thing!' and the liberals would say :up:

stability becomes so predictable

all_i_want said:
maybe we should change roles. lets have the liberals defend bush and the war, and the conservatives oppose the war and bash bush! now that would be interesting!
:lol: That's easy, just call him an irresponsible idiot. :wink:

all_i_want said:
also, i think it is pretty predictable how everyone will respond to everthing. strong conservative opinion is conservative about everythin and liberals always whine about the same things.
This is often the truth of the matter.

all_i_want said:
if i post that elections are held in baziloonia, bush supporters would jump in and say 'see, its cause of iraq! we did such an awesome thing!' and the liberals would say :up:
Under this definition, I'm a liberal. :reject:

:wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
:lol: That's easy, just call him an irresponsible idiot. :wink:

what do you mean? if holding free elections in iraq and spreading freedom is irresponbility, im all for it!! your tax dollars are going to preservation of world peace and to guarantee a safe future for our nation.

:wave:

What's wrong with the threads in here? Depends what your expectation is. Do people expect to have discussions based completely on facts and devoid of personal political stands? Would be hard to do on most of the major topics 'cuz they have to do with religion, politics and social issues.

I think it's become pretty evident that most issues get split under political lines. But that in itself shouldn't be too problematic if during the debates and discussions a good number of complexities on any given issue are touched upon. At least they get aired out and who knows? Even if they provide new insights and illumination to just one person, then it's been worth it.

But i think Dread's getting at (and as all_i_want said) the tendency of so many threads to get polarized and swamped in negativity. That is becoming fairly prevalent and predictable and, hence, boring.

I, for one, am still enjoying many of the debates. I like when people add their sources and links to information that i've never before seen or would've known existed. It's helpful.

U2democrat said:
:yes:

nudity is definitely needed.

mdf865033.jpg

Maybe there should be a list of new topics, if people can come up w/ some that have nothing to do w/ Bush, Christianity, gay marriage, or whatever-if that's what people are tired of. Everytime I think of one like that I figure it will get little interest so I don't bother. I guess if you base threads upon what's in the news the same sort of topics tend to arise. Lately I've enjoyed the more "personal" topics some people have posted, just one example the one about that was something like "all politics aside" - sorry, I can't remember the title. I think it's nice to have some less heated, more lighthearted topics.

~ Not enough pictures of Jude Law

I've been thinking of starting a thread about Africa and answering people's questions about what's going on here and what life is really like. Because it seems to me that there is a lot of ignorance about that part of the world (understandably so, since it is not really in the news except for war and AIDS). But then again, I figure if I post such a thing it will sink and die. Maybe if I put the word "gay" or "Bush" or "Iraq" in it tho.... hmmm. :sexywink:

I would say a little too much of the same news. It's mostly related to the current gay controversy. Considering how emotional an issue this is it's tough to just make it go away. It seems like every day there is news about it. I think this will change. The gubernatorial races are going to be heating up before we know it, and I'm going to be posting plenty of irate notes about Roy Moore and how I'm going to campaign and vote against him. Plus, the Iraq issue has been argued to death. We're never going to all agree on this.

Last edited:
While everyone here listed some good examples of problems here in FYM, it's very difficult to actually bring about any change here because, ultimately, if you want new topics, people are going to have to start them. Conversely, if you want discussion of old topics dropped, it's very hard to do that without a broad consensus from the regulars.

If the mod team got together and said, for example, "Okay, a six-month moratorium on abortion and gay marriage threads" (and we did actually discuss that, though we decided against it), inevitably at least a few people would be unhappy, or at some point someone would decide to start a thread because they just couldn't contain themselves. And then what could the mods do? It puts us in the tough spot of trying to foster healthy debate while at the same time keeping FYM fresh.

I think I can speak for all the mods when I say we're open to suggestion, but I also think that ay major change in FYM will have to come from the regulars--y'all know who you are. :wink:

I'm sure Melon could do a great job fixing them :)

I start w/ small originals and that makes them less blurry, but if you have better software/programs that probably doesn't matter

My concerns are VERY similar to Sula's........

In threads about AIDS......we drift to the morality of prostitution. Threads, these days take a life of their own. But it is easier to argue about the morality of prostitution, and not look to deal with a reasonable plan to help stop the spread of AIDS.

I will confess, some of the threads I started, IE: Nuke the Gay Whales and the Gay Penguin thread prove my point. Look at the number of hits they have, just by the words in the topic. Are the hits up higher than death penalty, Amnesty?

Sula, I would LOVE to see you do a thread, not for DEBATE, but for you to teach us about Africa. I know where you are is in an area being decimated by the disease as well as economic conditions, or at least that is what I am reading. I agree with you, it may fall off the wayside, but if you turn it into a ask a question I will respond, type of thread, I bet it would be a success. I know it would help me, as starting the week after easter I am teaching for 4 weeks about Africa, AIds, THe churches ROLE, and how can we help. First hand information would help, and knowing the number of active people in here, I am sure they would find it beneficial.

all_i_want said:
what do you mean? if holding free elections in iraq and spreading freedom is irresponbility, im all for it!! your tax dollars are going to preservation of world peace and to guarantee a safe future for our nation.

:wave:
Bush bashing is easy if you think about it. Anyone can do it. Just blame every decision he makes on his religion. Just post about how he spends too much time on vacation, and how you're tired of him talking to Jesus. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom