What is tolerance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Ted Nugent's statement made me wonder:

What exactly is tolerance? Is it saying "It's fine for you to be that way? I condone it." Or, is it to say "I may not think that you are right, but I won't persecute you for it."?

The more crucial question is...what do you do with those who are "intolerant"? Do you tolerate them?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The more crucial question is...what do you do with those who are "intolerant"? Do you tolerate them?
I guess that depends on your definition of intolerance. If intolerance is simply someone saying "I believe your lifestyle is wrong and I will never condone it", and that's it, of course we need to tolerate that person, because he/she is standing by principles. However, if intolerance is saying "I believe your lifestyle is wrong and therefore I ahte you" and then commits violence against teh person, throw the dude in jail.

Yes, thanks a bunch for giving us that great American product!
wink.gif

Tolerance, to me, is to allow people to live as they want to be as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights, even if you disagree with it personally. This is something the world still has to work on.

Melon

------------------
?Confused by thoughts, we experience duality in life. Unencumbered by ideas, the enlightened see the one reality.? - Hui-neng (638-713)

Tolerance is being able to understand someone else's human condition, once you have that the rest will follow. The problem is being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes and understanding them; that is hard.

Ant.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Or, is it to say "I may not think that you are right, but I won't persecute you for it."?

That one, I think. Just because you are tolerant of the views of others doesn't mean you have to support those views. It is kind of the "live and let live" philosophy.

BTW - lol at Sula...
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Back
Top Bottom