What is the root of all evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Fall is the root of all evil. Eve put words into God's mouth and Adam just stood there and watched.

Free will. But it is also the root of the goodness capable within us.

Melon

free will and the selfishness that can com eof it. The root of all sin is putting the self above others and God. All greed, longing for power comes from this selfishness and self woship. But it wouldn't be possible without free will. Though free will doesn't actively produce evil, only we do.

Greed for power. Because everything is about power. Religion, politics, economics, everything.

Ignorance, Greed, Money, Power

Religious differences have been at the root of many a battle

Freewill gives us the choice it is not the root of all evil. In what sense is there to live if we are not free to make our own choices. it is what makes us human

At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.

Katey said:
Ignorance, Greed, Money, Power

Religious differences have been at the root of many a battle

Freewill gives us the choice it is not the root of all evil. In what sense is there to live if we are not free to make our own choices. it is what makes us human

The first men did not have money so that's out. You don't have to have power to be evil. You may have the desire to gain power and this desire may cause evil, but then that's greed. Power in itself is not evil. The first men did not have religion either.

If you didn't have free will you couldn't act on this greed. If you take the story of Adam and Eve they wanted something that wasn't theirs. They used their free will to take the apple, no one forced them and no one stopped them even though both forces probably had the power to do so.

NEED. Need for food, money, the basics of life that we take for granted. The people who take advantage of those in need are the harbingers of evil.

QUOTE]The first men did not have money so that's out. You don't have to have power to be evil. You may have the desire to gain power and this desire may cause evil, but then that's greed. Power in itself is not evil. The first men did not have religion either. If you didn't have free will you couldn't act on this greed. If you take the story of Adam and Eve they wanted something that wasn't theirs. They used their free will to take the apple, no one forced them and no one stopped them even though both forces probably had the power to do so.[ [/QUOTE]

What is the root of all evil then, to explain it as free will is to devert from the purpose of it and to make free will sound like a bad thing . When you set a man's mind free you give him power and you open it up to temptation. Simply without the possibility of evil, we would have only one choice: good. Obviously, having only one choice means that there is really no choice at all. And where there is no choice, there is no freedom. In placing the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden, God was saying to humanity: "You are free. You do not have to love and obey me if you don't want to. I will allow you to choose not to." And the existence of that choice is good. Humans were then given the power to make spirtual , ethical and moral choices.

So if it all started over would we fall again, the answer is if given free will yes we would over and over. But I would not want to live in a world without free will.

It's like you get up every morning and you make a choice to do right or to do wrong.. What an awesome gift that is, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Evil comes from no where else then from human beings.

Last edited:
Katey said:
What is the root of all evil then, to explain it as free will is to devert from the purpose of it and to make free will sound like a bad thing.

That's your own personal connotation. Free will is the root of both good and evil, and there are no things of such raw power that cannot be capable of both. You cannot have extreme goodness, without that same device being used for extreme evil, and we should take that into consideration when we develop nanotechnology, because, for all the raw power it harnesses, it will undoubtedly be capable of raw evil.

The minute we evolved from involuntary animal to free-thinking humans is the minute that good and evil was created. We do not view an animal as either good or evil, but, rather, instinctively animal, as a form of self-preservation. Thus, with the evolution of free will became the evolution of the human, and the simultaneous birth of "good" and "evil."

They do not exist separately within human nature.

Melon

no they do not exist seperatly from each other, but free will is not the root of all evil what human beings do with it is. If you are to say free will is the root of all evil and god provided us with free well then what is your message?? Yes with free will came the creation of good or evil I completly agree . I was a little defensive when you simply stated free will the root of all evil.. I wouldnt say that I would say the root of all evil is greed I suppose if I had to put a name to it.

Last edited:
Katey said:
no they do not exist seperatly from each other, but free will is not the root of all evil what human beings do with it is.

You've, essentially, redefined free will. "What humans beings do" is, by definition, "free will."

If you are to say free will is the root of all evil and god provided us with free well then what is your message??

That God created a device capable of both good and evil, and left the decision as to what to do with it up to us.

Melon

You've, essentially, redefined free will. "What humans beings do" is, by definition, "free will."
Actually no I didnt , what was meant is the choice humans make good or evil. Free Will is the ability to do that , not the end result the decision is the end result.

Is that to say that God allowed evil to exist, by giving us free will . Because the evil comes in the decision we make not in the fact that we are allowed to make them

The existence of evil is compatible with the existence of God and God's choice to create creatures with free will. I guess I see it as that rather then the root of all evil

Last edited:
Mother Nature , it is the root of all evil , but it 's also the root of all good , too , it just goes like this , a life circle with all the colors you like and it's your show which begins with birth intro and ends with death outro .

hmm, hard to name just one thing

I would say ignorance
but ignorance wouldn't be a problem if there was no hatred
and there probably would be less hatred if there was no greed and vanity

Back
Top Bottom