What does Saddam's capture mean for Dean and Dems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I am very interested to see how Dean will attempt to spin this story to his favor. He's running on the instability of Iraq. The country is not stable, but this is huge blow to the insurgents, and thus to Dean's campagin.

Also, what does everybody have to say about the UN now? Did the sanctions do this? No. Bush's will power did it.

One more thing, I found France's statement about the capture very interesting. "It's a major event that should strongly contribute to democracy and stability in Iraq and allow the Iraqis to master their destiny," French President Jacques Chirac said in a statement. Isn't Chirac glad that Saddam was captured? I don't think he is.

Dean's chances of getting elected just took another fall. I'm looking for his spin on this one too. Dean is the candidate that has been outspoken about his opposition to the war which has removed Saddam from power and now has brought him to justice.

I've checked the campaign sites of Clark, Dean, and Kucinich. All of them are extremely pleased with the news and, especially, proud of our troops. They do not feel that this is the final chapter. I don't think anyone does--Bush doesn't either.

a LOT can happen between now and november. Jobs, the economy, may go continue to go up, or, may go back down. Insurgence may stay the same, or it may go back down. There may even be another terrorist attack on US soil in revenge. It ain't over till its over. Personally, I want John Kerry to win. Either that or Clark. Anyone but Bush or Dean

"They do not feel that this is the final chapter."

It certainly is not the final chapter, which keeps Dean's and others electoral chances from going from luke warm to stone cold.

Lieberman....may very well get some positives from this.....

Dreadsox said:
Lieberman....may very well get some positives from this.....

Absolutely. I just went to his site. Good grief! They are partying! Well, not literally, but they are very pleased. Admittedly I have differences with Lieberman as per policy particulars but I respect his honesty and character a great deal.

Bush's will power did it.

Last time I checked it was the US Armed forces and Coalition forces that did it. Anyway, by no means is this a gaurentee that violence will end in Iraq. Troops will continue to be ambushed and killed. As a matter of fact, there was a report on the news yesterday that many Iraqi soldiers were quitting the army for various reasons.

I think the Dems will use this as an excuse to get out of Iraq quicker.

when you put enough troops into a country to look for someone logic dictates that at some point you will find him

this can turn out to be a victory for democracy in Iraq
IMO it would be rather senseless to claim this as a victory for anyone else

WildHoneyAlways said:

Last time I checked it was the US Armed forces and Coalition forces that did it. Anyway, by no means is this a gaurentee that violence will end in Iraq. Troops will continue to be ambushed and killed. As a matter of fact, there was a report on the news yesterday that many Iraqi soldiers were quitting the army for various reasons.

I think the Dems will use this as an excuse to get out of Iraq quicker.

I do too. Bush and Co. are trying to be cautious about this, saying it won't end the violence in Iraq. In one way or another the violence in Iraq will continue to be an issue. No word on how it will play Peoria or any other place at this point. We will simply have to wait.

And once again Bush's handlers didn't want him to field any questions from reporters, something cowboy like may have come out of his mouth when they want him to be humble.

WildHoneyAlways,

Last time I checked, George Bush was the Comander and Chief of the Armed forces.

One can always count on FYM to blame Bush for everything that is wrong with the world and to never give him credit when it is obvious that it is due.

Scarletwine said:
And once again Bush's handlers didn't want him to field any questions from reporters, something cowboy like may have come out of his mouth when they want him to be humble.

So even humility can only come from his handlers?

Lieberman apparently will be coming after Dean very hard tomorrow night on Hardball on MSNBC.

Dean seems to be doing damage control today. He in fact praised Bush and said this is HIS day!

To quote Mr. Lieberman:

[Q]JOSEPH I. LIEBERMAN On the question that we're celebrating today, Howard Dean throughout this campaign has said he wasn't sure that Saddam really represented a threat to us. At one point he said, 'I suppose the Iraqis are better off with Saddam Hussein gone.' I would say this, and this is a choice the voters have to make in the primaries. If Howard Dean had his way, Saddam Hussein would be in power today, not in prison.[/Q]

Its a big hit politically to the Dems, if you say its not, you are in denial. Nothing is over, but its a setback for Dean. This is not to say that Dean supported Saddam but more to say that he supported the fact that Bush had yet to catch him. That is history now, the Dean campaign needs to use another tactic.

trainwreck.jpg

re the dean campaign..;)

I'm very interested in new polls. They are just a barometer of public opinion, but I'd drop dead from shock if this didn't impact them in one way or the other. I don't know how as killings and such are still going on in Iraq and the Baathist party is probably going to go for broke now. Ugh. I'm not pitching my current art project which is a protest of the latest mosque bombing, that Sunni mosque near Baghdad.

Well, I for one intend to vote on many other issues..the economy, AIDS relief, womens' issues, and others. The Iraq issue is just a part of what he stands for.

Not that anything would ever convince me to vote for Bush anyway :D

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well, I for one intend to vote on many other issues..the economy, AIDS relief, womens' issues, and others. The Iraq issue is just a part of what he stands for.

Not that anything would ever convince me to vote for Bush anyway :D

Me either. No one is going out and changing their party registration because of this.

Last edited:
verte76 said:

Me either. No one is going out and changing their party registration because of this.

Very true, but most would say that Dean or whomever will need more than the usual voters to win this time around....

Elvis Presley said:

Very true, but most would say that Dean or whomever will need more than the usual voters to win this time around....

Oh, I'm not saying this will not impact the elections. The diehard Dems are not going to change their party registration to Republican anytime soon. The incumbent usually has the advantage unless they've got *major* screw-ups and problems. The truth of the matter is that no one has a crystal ball. What if, God forbid, there's another terrorist attack on U.S. soil? We have 11 months until the general election, six weeks before the first primary. Hell, if this impacts the primaries enough we might not be talking about "Dean, the Democratic nominee".

[Q]To meet these and other important security challenges, including Iraq, I will bring to bear all the instruments of power that will keep our citizens secure and our nation strong. [/Q]

What the hell does this mean?

[Q]Empowered by the American people, I will work to restore:

The legitimacy that comes from the rule of law;[/Q]

I am confused? What exactly does this mean?

[Q]The credibility that comes from telling the truth;[/Q]

Who has lied? Are you accusing the President? If you are talking about the steps that led to war.....read below, because I believe the intelligence problem is more significant than your people have been briefing you on.

[Q]The knowledge that comes from first-rate intelligence, undiluted by ideology;[/Q]

Mr. Dean, our intelligence agencies were destroyed by EIGHT years of President Clinton's social programs in the FBI and the CIA. He moved to a program of promotion based on the color of ones skin, rather than on the merit of one's work. He pulled agents out of the field in many countries like Iraq and moved this country almost exclusively towards a program of ELECTRONIC INTEL. It has FAILED us.

The Clinton administration led to the exodous of excellent field agents into the private sector leaving this country vulnerable to numerous attacks. Even after the terrorist attacks of the past 12 years, the Democratic administration failed to do anything to correct the problems of our intelligence gathering capabilities, leaving us vulnerable to attack.

So Mr. Dean, before you attack the President and accuse him of using ideology to slant the evidence, I suggest you look at the whole picture....and tell me as a voter, what do you propose to do that President Bush has not done to FIX our intelligence gathering services. They missed 9/11 and apparently they were wrong about WMD in Iraq. I personally am more concerned that we have NOT taken steps to corect this by a third administration.

And Mr. Bush, I would suggest that you are a man of action, but what have you done? Seriously? Are we still flying blind? How am I to believe any intelligence about North Korea or Iran? Have you taken steps to get enough people who speak arabic languages into our intelligence services that we could possibly begin to get through the piles of ELECTRONIC INTEL gatheredd all the time. I want to know what you have done to fix the problems I have read about in the various books detailing the problems that led to 9/11.

[Q]The strength that comes from robust alliances and vigorous diplomacy; [/Q]

Robust alliances with who? The world is a changing place? Alliances change....politics change things....

It definitely sounds like Saddam would be in his palace nice and cozy...and we would be having tea and crumpets with the French.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

Sorry if I am being cranky here.......it is a pretty good speech....I am actually impressed.....however....these are the soundbites that will make the news...

Last edited:
He expands the ideas...in the speech.....however......

He supports almost all of the administrations actions other than Iraq. His examples of foreign policy use are EXACTLY what the US has done for the past 12-14 years other than Iraq.

He does little to define what some of the other sound bites are.

Again...overall....a decent speech.....

Lieberman....was very good on Hardball.:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom