What do you think of Scotland? Good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

I saw a thread by Kobayashi asking americans to state what they think of Canada.....

So being a Scotsman myself I thought why not ask you what you think of Scotland? It doesnt matter if you have or have never been there, I need to know what your thoughts are.

Im proud of my roots. Id wear my kilt with pride for special occasions....I drink my whisky and always instantly think of Scotland (I currently live in London, UK). I simply love the Scottish Highlands too! Beautiful mountains, real friendly people (thats not from me but from my friends who have visited Scotland, actually), lovely pubs. Loads of interesting history including battles against the mighty English all those years ago. Oh and being passionate about football (soccer to Yanks) too especially following the Scottish national team!

Hmmmm Im trying to think of something bad about the country.....Im a bit stuck at this time but Im sure you would come up with something. I dont mind any criticism about Scotland but dont touch anything about football as it will really wind me up!
biggrin.gif

j/k!

Anyway, Id like to hear all your thoughts/re-collections of Scotland.......Och aye ye ken I dae!

dougal

Originally posted by mad1:
The men wear skirts and no UNDERwear and thats REALLY bad!!!!!!!!!!!

makes me mad
mad.gif

very 'ungentlemanly' for the gents, and very bloody scary for the ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Knew you'd be here! Im wearing a kilt right now so here's what underneath it.........

*hears Maddie gasp in amazement at the sight of it*

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

*amazingly gasps in the sake of Douggie*

OMG Douggie......its HUGE!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Im AMAZED!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell, cool colours as well!!!!!!!!!

What an amazing length too!!!!!

JAYSUS!!!!!!!!!!

Im am soooooooo shocked, and amazed Douggie.......

tell me..........................

..........how many other Scotsmen buy a kilt the size u do!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This is all I have to say of Scotland;

it is one incredible place.

Douggie, what on Earth are you doing in MY London when you could (or should) be enjoying your own fine country? Scots don't belong in London... ethnic clensing, you must understand
smile.gif

Ant.

Ah yes...Scotland.

Many of us on this side of the pond have grand romantic notions of Scotland as the land of Bonnie Prince Charlie, William Wallace, men in kilts, and grandiose highlands. If you asked the average American what their impressions of Scotland are, I think you'd get any range of replies from "Braveheart" to Scotch whisky, to haggis to bagpipes. Most of us think that the accents are pretty damn cool as well. There, that's the masses...now for my personal views.
smile.gif

I only got a week to spend in Scotland on my trip, but I really enjoyed everywhere that I visited. I went to Edinburgh first and then over and up to the Western Highlands. I stayed in this tiny village called Glenfinnan and visited Mallaig in the cold and driving rain. My impressions of the Highlands were of mist, rugged beauty, hardy homes, and actually...very friendly folks. Everyone I met was very kind to me, but maybe that's because I was travelling alone and they felt sorry for me. lol. I finished up my trip with a short stay in Glasgow where the highlight of my trip was going to a ceildih. I also did a daytrip to Stirling which was a really charming old town.

As far as the rivalry between Edinburgh and Glasgow...I hope I won't offend you dougal (I don't know which of the two you favor) but I think I prefered Glasgow on the whole. Edinburgh was beautiful and big and historic and I loved the castle and all, but it felt stuffier and more like a tourist trap. Everything seemed a bit too canned...all the souvenir shops selling kilts and haggis, I guess. Not only that but I rarely heard any Scottish accents.
biggrin.gif
Glasgow on the other hand seemed more open and friendly...the people seemed more down-to-earth. I could definitely see myself going back there and trying to get a job in the future. I liked the feel of the place.

So there are my long-winded views and impressions. And if anyone isn't convinced that Scotland is beautiful...

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D32323736728%3A9nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D3232373672898nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D3232373672899nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D32323736728%3B5nua4%3A3fj0mrj

You have a lovely country there, dougal.
smile.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

Should've gone to visit when I had the chance. Argh! Cute boys in kilts [yum] and cute boys with Scottish accents [yum]. I tend to think the Scottish accent is up there with the Irish accent-- definitely cuter than the normal British accent [do I know Brits have more than more accent, yes so what?]

I prefer Irish whiskey to Scottish whiskey. Sorry.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Remembers a whole range of "What do you think of [insert country here]"-threads from a year ago

[This message has been edited by DrTeeth (edited 12-06-2001).]

Sula!

Thanks for your posting....

"Ah yes...Scotland.

Many of us on this side of the pond have grand romantic notions of Scotland as the land of Bonnie Prince Charlie, William Wallace, men in kilts, and grandiose highlands. If you asked the average American what their impressions of Scotland are, I think you'd get any range of replies from "Braveheart" to Scotch whisky, to haggis to bagpipes. Most of us think that the accents are pretty damn cool as well."

Thats true enough.....all thanks to Sean Connery, Braveheart, Ewan McGregor and all that...have made Scotland what it is today...in the eyes of Americans like yourself, a lovely country to visit...

"There, that's the masses...now for my personal views.

I only got a week to spend in Scotland on my trip, but I really enjoyed everywhere that I visited. I went to Edinburgh first and then over and up to the Western Highlands. I stayed in this tiny village called Glenfinnan and visited Mallaig in the cold and driving rain. My impressions of the Highlands were of mist, rugged beauty, hardy homes, and actually...very friendly folks. Everyone I met was very kind to me, but maybe that's because I was travelling alone and they felt sorry for me. lol. I finished up my trip with a short stay in Glasgow where the highlight of my trip was going to a ceildih. I also did a daytrip to Stirling which was a really charming old town."

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay esp. the ceilidh! Hmmm Scottish people are like that when they see some people travelling on their own so they tend to help out....this has been going on for quite a few generations now.....In my opinion, for one week, you did well travelling around Scotland as some people I know only manage to stay in Edinburgh/Glasgow and no further out which I think is wrong...but there you go...

"As far as the rivalry between Edinburgh and Glasgow...I hope I won't offend you dougal (I don't know which of the two you favor) but I think I prefered Glasgow on the whole. Edinburgh was beautiful and big and historic and I loved the castle and all, but it felt stuffier and more like a tourist trap. Everything seemed a bit too canned...all the souvenir shops selling kilts and haggis, I guess. Not only that but I rarely heard any Scottish accents. Glasgow on the other hand seemed more open and friendly...the people seemed more down-to-earth. I could definitely see myself going back there and trying to get a job in the future. I liked the feel of the place."

Thats interesting.....I was born (but not brought up) in Edinburgh and I love the city very much whereas I dont usually go to Glasgow (last time I went there was 2 years ago just after Xmas). You are right about the difference between Edinburgh and Glasgow and no Im not offended at all, I respect your views..... While I am not an expert on Glasgow I can see what you mean....Glasgow, in a nutshell, is really a working class city compared to Edinburgh where it is more expensive to live in and so we sometimes have an image of a middle class sort of city. Hmmm, I for one would choose Edinburgh as they do have beautiful old architecture in the city and does have a good nightlife too with friendly and a lot of trendy pubs there....Glasgow on the other hand does have its good natured people and a very strong accent there compared to Edinburgh's...sometimes its difficult to decipher what the heck they are saying!
biggrin.gif

So there are my long-winded views and impressions. And if anyone isn't convinced that Scotland is beautiful...

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D32323736728%3A9nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D3232373672898nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D3232373672899nua4%3A3fj0mrj

332%3A879523232%7Ffp4%3C%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3D62%3A%3A68b24344926%3D32323736728%3B5nua4%3A3fj0mrj

You have a lovely country there, dougal.

-sula

Those are lovely piccies Sula! they are cool!

Thanks!
smile.gif

dougal

Originally posted by bonovista:
My gorgeous husband is from Scotland, so it has to be a beautiful place.

*sigh* Quit makin' me jealous. Now I want a gorgeous Scottish husband too.
biggrin.gif

All I have to say is-Ewan McGregor
eek.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Originally posted by mad1:
The men wear skirts and no UNDERwear and thats REALLY bad!!!!!!!!!!!

very 'ungentlemanly' for the gents, and very bloody scary for the ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda depends on which man you're talking about maddie. In the case of Mel Gibson, I think skirts and no underwear is just fine.

Kilts are wayyyyyy sexy!

One of my exes was really into Scottish music and history. I know more about Bonnie Prince Charlie, Stirling Brig, William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, etc. than your average American viewer of Braveheart.

I also have a couple of CDs from The Corries...love them.
smile.gif
Just started collecting mp3s from Seven Nations, too.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

i've only been there once, about 15 years ago when i was 6(i plan on being there this spring) but i remember having fun. i father is from renfrew and my mother is from st. johnstone so i can feel it in the blood. gorgeous country from what i can remember, seen and heard. great people as well, some of the most enigmatic interesting people i have met have been scottish(my father included)

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Stuart Adamson of Big Country has been totally missing for 3 weeks. Please pray for him.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Stuart Adamson of Big Country has been totally missing for 3 weeks. Please pray for him.

You serious? Really? OMG! I hope hes ok.....

he is a nice guy.....and a good band at that too...

dougal

crikeys' dougal, i just wrote this piece about the Scottish things that have moved me and Poof!! it vanished. I didn't touch anything, honest mister. It just disappeared, it did!!
So the thumbs up will have to suffice

i love scotland. it's very scenic and has an intresting history. and my hero, madonna, was married there! (my verdicts still out on the scotsman she married...)

you come from a great area, dougal55.

------------------
Happy Hannukah!

"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

Originally posted by madonna's child:
i love scotland. it's very scenic and has an intresting history. and my hero, madonna, was married there! (my verdicts still out on the scotsman she married...)

you come from a great area, dougal55.

Why thank you Madonna's child! Maybe next time you are in Scotland I will treat you to a wee dram (if you like whisky) or something similar....
biggrin.gif
The only snag is that I live in London so that may take a while to meet up!

dougal

I love Scotland- my Great Grandmother was Scottish and such a lovely woman with a thick scottish accent, even though she had lived in Australia for years, anyway I really want to visit the highlands one day and see where she was from
smile.gif

please excuse the smiley- must off clicked the wrong one, should be
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by OzAurora (edited 12-10-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom