what do you think "free your mind" means?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
I'm not only asking because I'm curious, but also to use against you the next time you let presumptions guide your post
(just thought I'd be honest about that)

I think there are 3 types of posts that will appear here at interf. There are posts made from ignorance of a subject, the poster will attempt to find out what something means, or they are simply curious about other perspectives on a given matter.
There are threads/posts made that attempt to incite a debate or discussion about issue where all sides are given and discussed as to why they think that etc. These are usually good too as ideas are shared, new thoughts are offered and people may be able to 'free their minds'.
The 3rd group are posts or threads where the poster's opinion is already set. Whatever the cause is for that person to reach their conclusions aside, the outcome of their thoughts is decided and debate or discussion can prove fruitless.
I honestly think majority of topics discussed in here are based on opinion alone. Problems arise when people are so determined they are right, all contrary opinions are picked apart or basically brushed off. This is where I think you as a mod have a very hard job here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being steadfast in your beliefs, its a good thing this place is filled with able thinking individuals who stand by what they believe in. But where do you draw the line at what is acceptable and what is not? Apart from everyday common curtesy that we apply to real life situations, you now enter a very grey area.
I dont think anyone has a right really to belittle someone's opinion, or belittle the person themselves. Outright abuse for reasons set out in a healthy debate have no place in any discussion. Insults and derogatory remarks, patronising and the general implication that someone is wrong simply because of a belief should not be tolerated. They should never be posted in the 1st place, but how do you as a mod moderate this? Where does it cross the line of interpretation and become something that is unacceptable behaviour?
Im not criticising you personally at all Slomey, I hope you dont take it as such, its fairly clear what you intend this thread to be. But I know I have been taken out of context before, I dont think I would be the only one. The best solution to this is for everyone to reclarify etc. Everybody has an opinion and everybody has a right to speak theirs. Differing opinions should be tolerated a lot more than they are in many themes of debate in here.

But anyways...I personally fit into all the categories I think. There are some things I cannot change my mind on. Some things I think are great debating material, and others that I may not know a lot about, or simply want to hear different opinions on. I believe there is room for everything in here. It is only a problem when someone tells another they cannot be right based on what they actually think.

FYM- id say it means to give your opinion or view on a subject & be able to debate something with somebody- but not get nasty or have a fight! :D

I dont think any of my posts here have been bad- I've been good :D

I think this is a forum for learning, perhaps more than any other forum on these boards. When I hear "Free Your Mind" I always think of The Matrix, when Morpheus repeated those words over and over. FYM is a place where all kinds of people are giving all kinds of truths, and while you may or may not like them, you can hear them and decide for yourself--without fear of retribution.

(At least I hope that's true.)

Basically, I tend to agree with Angela.
I think "Free your mind" can have certain "active proposals": Free your mind like "Say whatever is on you mind", or like "This place is free, you may say anything you want" (nearly anything) or "See how the other contributors can free your mind".

Oh, and I don?t think we?re constantly high here, so we may be in need for the Lypton Village chillout room. I saw a real hippie!!!

FYM=
Vent your anguish
Display your ignorance
Show off your intellectualism

a free venting forum.

DB9:lol:

At its best, Free Your Mind - the forum, can be a stimulating debate environment supporting the promulgation of a variety of ideas and opinions and the finding of middle ground.

At its worst, it can be a warground for dogmatic angry attacks that accomplish nothing more than the hardening of already ideological ideas and the alienation of those who hold different opinions.

Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the case more often than the former.

sulawesigirl4 said:

At its worst, it can be a warground for dogmatic angry attacks that accomplish nothing more than the hardening of already ideological ideas and the alienation of those who hold different opinions.

Unfortunately, the latter seems to be the case more often than the former.

I feel you, sula.

Maybe we can change that a little. :)

::looks around::

::mumbles::

Now that, uh, ya know. I'm a, uh...well. You know.

I think Sula and Angela got it pretty right so far:yes:
For those who do not agree..do ya WANNA FIGHT about it?;)
thank u-
DB9
:lol:

Angela Harlem said:
[B I dont think anyone has a right really to belittle someone's opinion, or belittle the person themselves. Outright abuse for reasons set out in a healthy debate have no place in any discussion. Insults and derogatory remarks, patronising and the general implication that someone is wrong simply because of a belief should not be tolerated. [/B]

Unfortunately, this type of behavior occurs routinely in this forum. It's always the same cast of characters committing these less than respectful acts. They try to demoralize you or ridicule you for sharing opinions that differ from there very own viewpoints. Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

I enjoy discussing/debating various issues...but I'm not into the over-the-top hyperbole of it all that more often than not lends itself to personal attacks. Hey, I like to mix it up as much as the next guy...I'd just like to think I leave the debate with my dignity and conscience intact. This seems difficult for some of the conservatives in this forum. It seems as though that when the deck is stacked against them they resort to personal attacks, arrogance, or "jokes". (eerily resembles the conservatives approach in Congress these days, btw...maybe that is where you get this attitude from?)

My message is this: Stop using your ability to hide behind your internet persona as an excuse to launch attacks against those who disagree with you. Before you put the finishing touches on a sadistic remark that adds nothing to a debate stop and ask yourself what you are really trying to accomplish with that remark. If you have nothing of substance to add...than pipe down and move on-don't resort to immature rantings.

My advice to those conservatives here who lack people/civil debating skills: Look to diamond. He and I completely disagree on 98% of the topics discussed here...yet he has a way of disagreeing with you that is cordial and unthreatening, i.e. like a true statesman. He knows when he can joke with you and he can tactfully disagree with you without getting personal.

It's not about backing down from your opinion...it's about reaching a new level of maturity in your debating skills. Diamond can make you feel good while at the same time he is stealing your favorite cookie!

Stay above the fray...state your mind...be mature in your dissent...stop hiding behind your personas-that's what Free Your Mind is all about. Agree to disagree...and leave it at that.

Like someone to blame said:
Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

My advice to those conservatives here who lack people/civil debating skills...

umm, now honestly. Do you really truly think this attack on one "group" was called for? Quite frankly, I have seen my share of both conservative and liberal posters stooping to low levels, and singling out the opposite "side" (as you are doing in this case) simply shows your inability to rise above partisanship.

MY LIBERAL FRIENDS..

Yes and I kinda like how Mr Someone and Dr Who discuss topics.
They are both polite AND pretty smart for being Democrats:ohmy:
I even thought of making Dr Who my girlfriend over this;)
DB9
:cool:

Like someone to blame said:

Specifically, this is a problem with the conservative members of this forum (with a few exceptions) who hide behind their internet user names and personally (in most cases) attack their opponent. Bravo! Very mature and adult of you! The last thing I need rounding out my day is dealing with a bunch of arrogant, sarcastic conservatives who fail to understand the meaning of "civil debate."

My message is this: Stop using your ability to hide behind your internet persona as an excuse to launch attacks against those who disagree with you. Before you put the finishing touches on a sadistic remark that adds nothing to a debate stop and ask yourself what you are really trying to accomplish with that remark. joke with you and he can tactfully disagree with you without getting personal.

I am glad we only have this problem around here with " conservative members", or this place would be full of arguements otherwise
:up:

I think this forum should be retitled
"Everything you think,say, do, or feel is wrong."

When replying or posting, don your Kevlar vest and prepare for war.
But you musn't defend yourself and fire back. Thats a no-no!
However, anyone and everyone can say whatever they like to you, no matter how offensive or hurtful it is. :rolleyes:

To avoid being attacked for this reply, I'll also say that I agree with most of the opinions expressed in this thread so far. :)

Just so you know...

diamond said:
a free venting forum.

'Free Your Mind' doesnt mean 'Say whatever you want'.

This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events

The rules are no different here.

Common sense rules + Terms of Agreement.

Not to fear, we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of rules for this lovely abode.

Sicy said:
Common sense rules + Terms of Agreement.

Not to fear, we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of rules for this lovely abode.

Is it going to be like the rules for MONOPOLY?
I just love passing GO:)

That scared me; I was afraid you were going to tell me "we are going to soon be compiling an actual list of Free Your Mind interferencers who should be deleted."

Back
Top Bottom