What do y'all think of this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
What ARE men thinking when they do/say that kind of thing? Do they honestly think they'll get the girl that way?

Sadly, some of them do. :rolleyes:

I've gotten the horn honking and such that's been described here (yeah, hard to believe, I know :rolleyes: ) but the sweetest attempt at "picking me up" or flirting came when I was grocery shopping and this 70-something man came up to where I was looking at onions and started talking to me about how he likes them with his "baloney sammiches", lmao. He was so cute I almost wished I knew a woman his age to hook him up with! :laugh:

my skin crawls when guys do this. i don't know why they do it, or what they think they're going to get out of it--i don't know of any girl or woman who would respond positively to being leered at and cat called.

i never know how best to react. if i give them any acknowledgement, even negative, they continue to heckle me more. i do not want to engage them in any kind of exchange, so i usually just put my bitch mask on and walk faster to get away from them, to which they often respond with more heckling. i've been called everything from stuck up to uptight to deaf to various obscenities.

yeah, that'll get you in my good books. :rolleyes:

i don't take it as compliment because it's not rooted in respect and certainly doesn't make me feel good about myself. it's humiliating, no matter how i look at it.

:mad:

u2bonogirl said:
Im just going to add that I got freakin groped on my breast by a female ticket collector at a yankee game :grumpy:
Its not just men :madspit:
She just reached out and grabbed me!

Violence is the answer sometimes. If I were you, I would have belted her and then told her boss.

80sU2isBest said:

Violence is the answer sometimes. If I were you, I would have belted her and then told her boss.
I was so shocked it didnt even hit me until I had walked away. Tim didnt see it because he was ahead of me. Then he turned around and saw me looking mad about something.

I think you can compliment someone in a lovely, respectful way. I think if you know and respect someone and what kind of person they are, it's welcomed.

It can be creepy when strangers do it if you can pick up a creepy "vibe" from them. One thing that is definitely beyond creepy-a guy looking at you when he's with his kids :down:

One time when I was working in a store this older guy, he was probably in his 50's and I was in my 20's, took it upon himself to ask me out to dinner because I helped him w/ something. Yes that was creepy. Maybe in his mind me doing my job was somehow "coming on" to him. It definitely wasn't.

I just think most people have a line they don't cross, some people don't seem to. I would look at a guy I found attractive, but I wouldn't say anything other than to myself :wink: If I really got gutsy I might smile

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think you can compliment someone in a lovely, respectful way. I think if you know and respect someone and what kind of person they are, it's welcomed.

I agree, the key word there being "know". I'm sure there are some nice guys that might say to a random girl that she looks nice or pretty and mean it in a nice way, but honestly, what does that say about the guy that the FIRST thing he has to comment on is looks? At least say "hi" and introduce yourself first.

It is the rare sole who simply passes out compliments to spread joy in the lives of other people.

For the situation described, it sounds like some sort of fantasy is crossing into the real world.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Is it possible to tell someone they look pretty or handsome, etc without flirting?

Yes. I've had guy friends compliment me on some outfit I was wearing, and I've complimented them...no flirtation involved.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Is it creepy only when strangers do it?

As stated, it depends on how they say it. If a stranger says it in a way that doesn't come across to me as being all leery and suggestive, I will be flattered and say "Thank you." and life is good. If it does come across that way to me, then yes, it's creepy. They don't know me and yet they're trying to act that way towards me. It's weird.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Is there a double standard with men and women?

I think there can be. But personally, I'd say that whether it's an older guy lusting after a younger girl or an older girl lusting after a younger guy, if there isn't full consent going on and the younger person isn't of legal age, then it's wrong either way.

And yes, it is uber lame when guys think trying to act like cocky jerks is impressive to a girl. Newsflash: it isn't. It just makes you look stupid.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And yes, it is uber lame when guys think trying to act like cocky jerks is impressive to a girl. Newsflash: it isn't. It just makes you look stupid.

Angela

Amen! If only we could get that out to every man around the world.

I guess it depends on the tone/atmosphere, but it would make me extremely uncomfortable.

None of my friends or myself are drop-dead gorgeous, but when older men whistle at us, or offer to give us a ride (yes, that was scary:| ) it freaks me out. I guess it's different cos your friend's not a minor for God's sake (pervs), but I wouldn't blame her for feeling really uncomfortable.

Regardless of whether or not she's a minor...she still looks slightly young enough that they couldn't know whether or not she's legal...it doesn't stop the honks and whistles and comments.

Back
Top Bottom