what are your thoughts on the statement, "only God can judge me"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I hear this phrase used more and more commonly by people who really have no fear of God whatsoever. This seems to have become the ultimate cop-out. I'm sick of hearing drug dealers, thieves, terrorists, etc. declare that "no man can judge me, only God can judge me." Someone today was just trying to explain to me (no seriously he was), that no one should say anything bad about Tupac Shakur since "no one can judge him except God." And of course this was something that Tupac himself made one of his anthems.

Well i don't totally disagree with the statement 'Only God can judge me' because I believe that ultimately only he can. However, I know what you mean, it is really galling to have objectionable figures use it as a copout and I do NOT see the statement as a valid reason to flaunt the laws/rules/good taste of society and think/say that God will judge u differently.

I tend to use the idea that God is the final judge as a counterbalance against my thoughts on others. Sure I can have my opinions, but remembering this means that, for the most part, they will stay opinions.

You know Wombat, I've wondered this myself. Often when its said like this its in a different context. It's used as an excuse for a behaviour we are responsible for but dont want to own up to. Maybe like this instance with Tupac. Its wrong to use it as a cop out.

If I screw something up, I want to be responsible for it and dont really like to hear another judge me for it. Redemption and working it all out is between the individual and the deity you believe in. Not Joe Bloe from down the road who has an opinion on everything. I dont know, but first and foremost we need to be our own judges.

It's used far too often these days to justify someone's bad behavior. I do believe that in the end, God will have the final say but while you are here on earth, you have to follow God's law AND man's law. If these people who copout with the "God is my only judge" excuse truly believed that, they wouldn't be living lives of crime/drug dealing/murder, etc because they would realize what they were headed for in the afterlife. Personal responsiblity is the key and using God as a copout is weak.

*my own personal opinion

Only God can judge me, but it's still quite possible for someone else's assessment of my behavior to coincide with God's.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I hear this phrase used more and more commonly by people who really have no fear of God whatsoever. This seems to have become the ultimate cop-out. I'm sick of hearing drug dealers, thieves, terrorists, etc. declare that "no man can judge me, only God can judge me." Someone today was just trying to explain to me (no seriously he was), that no one should say anything bad about Tupac Shakur since "no one can judge him except God." And of course this was something that Tupac himself made one of his anthems.

This used to irk me so bad. I can't believe the people who say it! A lot of times, they're people who would turn around and 'judge' you if you weren't within earshot. But I've learned that God will end up judging those people. It just makes me feel a bit more at ease.

It's a cop out...same with people who say, "Hey, it's a free country!" to rationalize wrong things people do.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."
Bonochick's Place

Back
Top Bottom