What are they teaching you kids at Notre Dame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Like O2

She wore graaaapes
Originally posted by doctorwho:
What the !X?Q?! is "APA format?"

God, I've been out of high school so long that I don't know. Sniff...
frown.gif

Dr. who ~ if you think I'm still high school age or near it, I'm flattered....it must be my girlish figure!

If you think I'm a high school teacher, you're a little closer. In case you don't know, I'm one of "you"....a 30 something, have loved U2 since the early 80's and saw them in concert for the first time in the 80's, interferencer!

I never even heard of the APA format until grad school.

If I remember right, didn't you get your Master's and Ph.D. from Notre Dame? Ya must have used some stlye guide to write a thesis and disseration. MLA??? Chicago???

Well, that's what APA is...a publication style guide. To be more precise, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.

This small grey book was my bible for two years while I labored away on my thesis. Not one period, comma, colon, semi-colon, space, margin, reference....etc, etc, etc....did I type without first checking my APA book.

Oh no....now that I'm thinking about the APA, I wonder if my APA nightmares will start again.....

"Where does this comma belong?
How many lines after the title?
Indent 4 or 5 spaces?
First names or initials only in a reference?
Does the page number go on the bottom center or upper right?"

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way. Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono - Houston, Texas 4-2-01

There was a guideline, but it was set by the graduate school. And, for me, it was VERY logical. That is, everything made perfect sense, so I barely even consulted the rules when typing. I know that statement sounds pretentious - my apologies. But what I mean is that after reading the rules, nothing stood out as unusual - I was typing it that way anyway. However, I know some students who had considerable trouble.

In any event, both my thesis and dissertation were readily approved with just the simplest of corrections (I think one require a minor change in the table of contents). This is why I didn't know what the APA is.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
In any event, both my thesis and dissertation were readily approved with just the simplest of corrections (I think one require a minor change in the table of contents). This is why I didn't know what the APA is.

Ahhhhhhhhhh you lucky dog.
**crzy begins hyperventilating again just thinking about her graduate advisor**

Bama, can you work football into every post?
wink.gif

------------------
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

... Hmmm.. Ive got nuthin' ta add to this thread... Just wanted to say, "hi".

HI.

Oh! Claire? Ummmm, do you offer psychological counseling????
biggrin.gif

Peace

Back
Top Bottom