What About The Other 15 Percent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Why wouldn't people be "comfortable" w/ the idea of a female President?

Anyone here who isn't, please be honest and tell me why then run before I kick your butt :wink:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/13/AR2005091301757.html

"Eighty-five percent of Americans are comfortable with the idea of a female president, according to a Roper poll of 1,004 people conducted last weekend. The poll was commissioned by the White House Project, a nonprofit that works to advance women into leadership positions.

Wilson's organization has partnered with ABC to promote its upcoming series "Commander in Chief," which will feature Geena Davis as president. "So much of our perception of the ability of women to lead is shaped by what we see on films or television," said Wilson."

I hope that show is good, I look forward to it

I'd go out on a limb and say that even out of that 85% some are just saying that in order to convince themselves they ARE comfortable.

I will never understand why our country has never had a woman president,being that we are suppose to be the land of opportunity.
:eyebrow: :ohmy: :|

i think i will see a female president in my lifetime, but i am almost certain the first one will be a Republican.

Irvine511 said:
but i am almost certain the first one will be a Republican.

Interesting...my belief is that given the steps backwards towards a more "1950's hollywood Beaver-esque" society that the neo-cons are trying to head towards I'd take the complete opposite bet. But who knows?

I agree with Irvine. Same holds true for a black president. I say, kill 2 birds with one stone!

As for why neither has happened yet, I don't think its the "man" keeping them both down, its a matter of the right person coming along.

She most likely won't look or speak like Geena Davis:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Interesting...my belief is that given the steps backwards towards a more "1950's hollywood Beaver-esque" society that the neo-cons are trying to head towards I'd take the complete opposite bet. But who knows?

i think that a female conservative would have more credibility in the eyes of the electorate at large -- that, being a conservative, she rose to power through her own merit and not via affirmative action and/or quotas.

i think that's a false perception, but i think it would be the one held by a significant enough percentage of the population.

i hope i'm wrong.

Irvine511 said:

i think that a female conservative would have more credibility in the eyes of the electorate at large -- that, being a conservative, she rose to power through her own merit and not via affirmative action and/or quotas.

i think that's a false perception, but i think it would be the one held by a significant enough percentage of the population.

i hope i'm wrong.

I agree she'd have more percieved credibility to the electorate at large, BUT I just don't think she'd make it past the power politicians within the Republican party in order to get the nod in the primaries. I still think there are too many "good ole boys" still in the party.

I think the real question is WHEN will a qualified woman or african american RUN for president. You can't vote for them if they don't run.

Hehe, I'd vote for ya, U2democrat :wave:!

Anywho, well, gee, I would hope people wouldn't have an issue with a woman president or a president of another race or whatever.

All I'd ask for is that the person was elected because people truly felt they were qualified for the job, and not just because of the superficial stuff.

Angela

As a statistical poll, the thin description used in the news article leave little to project how "the other 15%" would respond.

Perhaps they (men and women) have a simple personal preference that their nations leader be male. Or, I'm sure you will find some that say "they can't drive, why let them run the country" or other such nonsense.

Here's a question: how do you respond to a person who, given the choice between two equally qualified candidates, would always choose the male candidate?

nbcrusader said:
Here's a question: how do you respond to a person who, given the choice between two equally qualified candidates, would always choose the male candidate?

sounds to me like a Sensitivity Weekend is in order.

;)

nbcrusader said:

I'd have to say there could be no reason for them to do that other than they're prejudiced chauvinists of some kind

The 15% are those who regularly call in to unscientific poll 800 numbers to answer "I don't know" to the poll question.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Yes..that's just my personal opinion, I don't understand it if the people are equally qualified

women can be "chauvinists" too

Then how do people decide when the two candidates are equally qualified without being labeled a "chauvinist"?

nbcrusader said:

Then how do people decide when the two candidates are equally qualified without being labeled a "chauvinist"?

you're shifting the question.

you had asked what would happen if someone would automatically prefer a man to a woman.

Irvine511 said:
you're shifting the question.

you had asked what would happen if someone would automatically prefer a man to a woman.

In the context of two equally qualified candidates. It is a no brainer if the woman is more qualified, but people choose the man.

If they are equal, is it still chauvinist to have that preference?

nbcrusader said:

In the context of two equally qualified candidates. It is a no brainer if the woman is more qualified, but people choose the man.

If they are equal, is it still chauvinist to have that preference?

oh, okay, now i understand the question.

well, ideally, the gender of the candidate wouldn't be the determining factor, it would be something else more resume-based, personality-based, etc. however, that X-Factor might be due to gender, though in a more subconscious way. that person might not be the stereotypical chauvinist, but has probably absorb the many misogynistic messages sent out by society in all aspects of culture (as someone who worries about the sexual content of television, i'm sure you'd agree that our perceptions are indeed shaped by the messages we receive not just from the media but from long-entrenched cultural atittudes ... like, men have "leadership qualities" but women are "bossy," men like to "shoot the breeze" but women "gossip," etc.)

Irvine511 said:
(as someone who worries about the sexual content of television, i'm sure you'd agree that our perceptions are indeed shaped by the messages we receive not just from the media but from long-entrenched cultural atittudes ... like, men have "leadership qualities" but women are "bossy," men like to "shoot the breeze" but women "gossip," etc.)

Oooooh, there's a section in my sociology book about this sort of thing! Haven't gotten to that part yet, though.

I can see where you're coming from, though, Irvine. I, too, would hope that if a man and a woman were both equally qualified for a job, that gender still would not play a role either way, but unfortunately, it would not surprise me if it did.

Angela

I believe it's more of a subconscious masculine/feminine issue than sexism. Or it could be overt sexism, of course. Could be twisted chivalry, could be old fashioned.

Speaking generally of course, it's not my particular view on the issue. I say best person regardless, I am comfortable with the idea of a female president, but if given the choice would I subconsciously vote more masculine? It's possible.

I really beleive that this country is more prepared for a black male president 9 times out of 10 over a woman.

Commander In Chief premieres tonight, I will be watching (that and the game)

At least we can have a make believe female President, I am interested to see how they portray it

Back
Top Bottom