Westboro Baptist aim to preach at Tech funerals - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

I see you don't agree.
Not only that, but I'm tired of all the dead horses being beaten around here. Especially when almost everyone in here showed you how your premise was wrong.

I'm not going to talk about this anymore...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:19 PM
What may be wrong in your view may seem right in the others view point. Maybe it's because of the way we think on our own that we dont get another perspective.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. On April 16, 2007, this nation, through the offices of your military and conspirators therewith took a shot at the servants of God -- your marksman was limp and lame and he had terror all around, so he did a lousy job. But what you get for your trouble is that your God shot at you! The LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children, and he didn't miss. Get this straight -- God sent this South Korean madman to kill 31 of your children at Virginia Tech. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.
I'm sorry, but this is not a perspective that is worth my time. If others wish to follow it, I can't stop them, but something so fueled by hate isn't truly in the name of any God I believe in.

I think it's disgusting that on top of everything these 32 families have been through this week that some (even if it's just one or two) are going to have to deal with this crap at their relatives' funerals. With the composure the student body has shown so far, I have no doubt they will continue to be strong and band together, but it's horribly wrong that they should have to deal with this aggravation on top of the immense loss they're already facing.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I would bring up The Reverand but that will not get us anywhere.
I think you did just bring it up. And you're right, it won't move this thread in any kind of a positive direction. Please leave whatever issues you may have had in another thread in that thread. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:19 AM
These simple minded bigots have a right to speech- just as I am sure principled and upstanding people can act as a guard to distract and distance them (nonviolently of course).
Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
Refugee

this is sick

(i apologize for posting this...i didnt see)
Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #27
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 04:19 PM
ok.....so is this really a church or is this a cult?

I'm a Christian and I am a member of my church which is part of the Baptist General Conference, not Southern Baptist. But....there is NO way in hell my church would EVERY even jokingly say something about doing something that this "church" has done. And to go on saying "godhatesamerica"....that makes me think this is a group of non Americans.....am I right? Please explain this to me.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #28
New Yorker

that Phelps-Roper person----they're from that so called, "church" right?

Is that church the same one that protested the funeral of the gay student that was beaten outside of a bar, a few years ago?? I remember that story....can't remember if his name was Michael or not, that may have been who was mentioned before. Anyway, I remember that specific story and seeing so called "Chrisitians" protesting his funeral.

Again....I ask how old Justin is. The reason I ask is only because some of his posts make me think he's pretty young and may be confused on some understandings of Christianity as a whole. (never mind...I see he's 24.)

God doesn't hate gays, lesbians, murderers, terrorists. He's not happy about any of it, but he doesnt hate them. And anyone that lives their life thinking that and therefore turning hate on someone because that's their understanding....well you're no better than what you're hating.

And just remember...hatered is a horrible thing and hate itself is a loaded word.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:19 AM
That Phelps-Rover whatever is in that cult.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiki

God doesn't hate gays, lesbians, [...] He's not happy about any of it

Says you.
I think Irvine, Ormus and some others here will strongly disagree.
If I believed, I would do so, too. Speaking as a heterosexual.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
God doesn't hate gays, lesbians, murderers, terrorists. He's not happy about any of it, but he doesnt hate them.

i think god's quite happy with me.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
I think god's quite happy with me.
lol good for you! lol I didn't mean that sarcastically either.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:

lol good for you! lol I didn't mean that sarcastically either.

The opposite of sarcasm would be to mean it sincerely, wouldn't it.?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #33
New Yorker

I'm just a bit interested in what this cult would think if this Cho guy turned on them instead of the students and faculty at VT. I mean, what if someone went in to their meeting facility and shot all of them but maybe....2 people.
Then the rest of the world comes reigning down on them at the funerals for them and didn't let their loved ones greive for them.

I just feel that doing something that blattent.....gez whatever backlashes they get if they go through with protesting the funerals, they deserve. I laugh at them, I'd laugh in their faces if I could. I can't believe they really think they're making America any better. If anything, they're making it much worse.
Showing off America at some of it's finest moments--protesting innocent lives funerals? damn.....grow up, stop sharring a brain, and grow a pair...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #34
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
The opposite of sarcasm would be to mean it sincerely, wouldn't it.?

ok-thanks smart ass!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Finally, a victory of sorts over those people. Of course the only true victory would be if this decision sets a precedent regarding their future behavior (obviously Phelps doesn't think so) and what they can get away with, unfortunately I don't think anything can get rid of them for good. I just read in the paper this morning that they are planning to picket the play "Laramie" in MA this month.

It better not be overturned.

BALTIMORE — Members of a fundamentalist Kansas church ordered to pay nearly $11 million in damages to a grieving father smiled as they walked out of the courtroom, vowing that the verdict would not deter them from protesting at military funerals.

Members promised to picket future funerals with placards bearing such slogans as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

"Absolutely, don't you understand this was an act in futility?" said Shirley Phelps-Roper, whose father founded the Westboro Baptist Church.

The group believes that U.S. deaths in the Iraq war are punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. They say they are entitled to protest at funerals under the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.

Albert Snyder sued the Topeka, Kan., church after a protest last year at the funeral of his son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq. He claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

A jury agreed. On Wednesday, the church and three of its leaders Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Phelps-Roper and Rebekah Phelps-Davis were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress. Jurors awarded Snyder $2.9 million in compensatory damages and $8 million in punitive damages.

Snyder, of York, Pa., said he hoped other families would consider suing.

"The goal wasn't about the money, it was to set a precedent so other people could do the same thing," he said.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" show Thursday, Sndyer said that while his son was fighting for freedom for Iraqis, "my son did not fight for hate speech.

"And that's basically what it is," he said of the church's protest. "Everybody's under the impression that the First Amendment gives them the right to do anything, say anything any where, any time. And along with the First Amendment also comes responsibility."

Snyder said that on the day of the funeral, he didn't see the protesters or their signs, only the tops of the signs. "But a lot of people at the church did see it," he said. "And it was splattered all over the newspapers the next day."

It's unclear whether Snyder will be able to collect the damages.

The assets of the church and the defendants are less than a million dollars, mainly in homes, cars and retirement accounts, defense attorney Jonathan Katz said. The church has about 75 members and is funded by tithing.

Craig Trebilcock, one of Snyder's lawyers, had asked jurors to question the truthfulness of the defendants' financial documents, one of which show Phelps-Davis having only $306 in the bank. He noted that Phelps-Davis is a practicing attorney, who could afford to travel to spread the church's message.

"Rebekah Phelps-Davis has $306? She must be using Priceline.com. It doesn't make any sense," Trebilcock said.

The attorney had urged jurors to award damages that would send a message to the church: "Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."

Trebilcock later called the verdict "Judgment Day for the Westboro Baptist Church."

"They're always talking about other people's Judgment Day. Well, this is theirs," he said.

Snyder sobbed when he heard the verdict, while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles.

They are confident the award will be overturned on appeal, Phelps said.

"Oh, it will take about five minutes to get that thing reversed," he said.

Another of Snyder's attorneys, Sean Summers, said he would tirelessly seek payment of the award. "We will chase them forever if it takes that long," he said.

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. Snyder's lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Finally, a victory of sorts over those people. Of course the only true victory would be if this decision sets a precedent regarding their future behavior (obviously Phelps doesn't think so) and what they can get away with, unfortunately I don't think anything can get rid of them for good. I just read in the paper this morning that they are planning to picket the play "Laramie" in MA this month.

It better not be overturned.

BALTIMORE — Members of a fundamentalist Kansas church ordered to pay nearly $11 million in damages to a grieving father smiled as they walked out of the courtroom, vowing that the verdict would not deter them from protesting at military funerals.

Members promised to picket future funerals with placards bearing such slogans as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."

"Absolutely, don't you understand this was an act in futility?" said Shirley Phelps-Roper, whose father founded the Westboro Baptist Church.

The group believes that U.S. deaths in the Iraq war are punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. They say they are entitled to protest at funerals under the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.

Albert Snyder sued the Topeka, Kan., church after a protest last year at the funeral of his son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq. He claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.

A jury agreed. On Wednesday, the church and three of its leaders Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Phelps-Roper and Rebekah Phelps-Davis were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress. Jurors awarded Snyder $2.9 million in compensatory damages and $8 million in punitive damages.

Snyder, of York, Pa., said he hoped other families would consider suing.

"The goal wasn't about the money, it was to set a precedent so other people could do the same thing," he said.

Appearing on NBC's "Today" show Thursday, Sndyer said that while his son was fighting for freedom for Iraqis, "my son did not fight for hate speech.

"And that's basically what it is," he said of the church's protest. "Everybody's under the impression that the First Amendment gives them the right to do anything, say anything any where, any time. And along with the First Amendment also comes responsibility."

Snyder said that on the day of the funeral, he didn't see the protesters or their signs, only the tops of the signs. "But a lot of people at the church did see it," he said. "And it was splattered all over the newspapers the next day."

It's unclear whether Snyder will be able to collect the damages.

The assets of the church and the defendants are less than a million dollars, mainly in homes, cars and retirement accounts, defense attorney Jonathan Katz said. The church has about 75 members and is funded by tithing.

Craig Trebilcock, one of Snyder's lawyers, had asked jurors to question the truthfulness of the defendants' financial documents, one of which show Phelps-Davis having only $306 in the bank. He noted that Phelps-Davis is a practicing attorney, who could afford to travel to spread the church's message.

"Rebekah Phelps-Davis has $306? She must be using Priceline.com. It doesn't make any sense," Trebilcock said.

The attorney had urged jurors to award damages that would send a message to the church: "Do not bring your circus of hate to Maryland again."

Trebilcock later called the verdict "Judgment Day for the Westboro Baptist Church."

"They're always talking about other people's Judgment Day. Well, this is theirs," he said.

Snyder sobbed when he heard the verdict, while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles.

They are confident the award will be overturned on appeal, Phelps said.

"Oh, it will take about five minutes to get that thing reversed," he said.

Another of Snyder's attorneys, Sean Summers, said he would tirelessly seek payment of the award. "We will chase them forever if it takes that long," he said.

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. Snyder's lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.
Those "people", and I use that term loosely, make me sick. The fact that people can say and do those things about other human beings is the height of depravity.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Sorry, meant to edit not quote!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

I heard about this this morning. I'm glad they are being sued. Protesting homosexuality at funerals for people who aren't homosexual? Protesting at funerals is messed up either way. But sheesh.

I'm very glad they didn't come to VT. I don't understand how people can be so heartless.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
\

This is good news for people that have been harrassed indiscrimantly.

I hope the

hateful registered Democrat Fred Phelps pays dearly:

Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Where did you read that he's a registered Democrat, and why would that matter? Hate is hate, and we all know that it knows no political affiliation. All parties are capable of it.