Welcome to Narnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The new film version release date is December 9th 2005.

It's gonna be, I think, a big event.

My middle school students are starting the book next week and I am planning to take about 600 of the new students (from all teams) next December to see the film.

-Post your thoughts on the books

-C.S. Lewis

-Links to past films or the new one (there are dozens)

And whatever relates :)

Yep, read them all as a kid. Liked them. It's all allegorical, isn't it, Aslan is allegory for God I think.

Yeah, Aslan is a version of God. The stories are incredible. Lewis was a genius. The Screwtape Letters, of which I'm sure many of you are aware of appeared in the HMTMKMKM video, is one of those books that really changed my view of things.

Did you know Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to go to the same pub and write and read each other's stuff over a few pints? What a sight that would've been!

I love Narnia:drool: I still read the books about once a year and can't wait for the movies. Once of my dreams is to visit the Bird and the Baby at Oxford to have a few pints and maybe get some inspiration from two of the greatest authors of the 20th century.

I still remember my mom buying The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe for me when I was 11 years old and confined to my bed with a nasty case of the flu. I have a great mom!

I read them as a teenager and I'm very much looking to the movies; Tilda Swinton should be amazing as the evil Queen. I liked the books well enough although as with Tolkien I find Lewis' style a tad dry and humourless.

The movies will probably be interesting.

I'm not looking forward to all that "Passion" zeal that's likely going to go along with it. Another movie likely to be ruined...*sigh.*

For the record, I actually liked "The Passion of the Christ."

Melon

Lewis is a genius.

Favorite Narnia book is The Magician's Nephew. The part near the end when Digory asks Aslan to cure his mother and Aslan's eyes fill with tears gets me everytime.

coemgen said:
Did you know Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to go to the same pub and write and read each other's stuff over a few pints? What a sight that would've been!

yeah, Eagle and Child in Oxford...I had lunch and a pint of beer there....i closed my eyes and I could just hear the Inklings (as they were called) bantering.

OK, this thread has made me more interested in C.S. Lewis again. (thanks the iron horse) I found this on a Web site that I guess Lewis' step son put together.

This is where it all began:
Lewis became a Christian: One evening in September, Lewis had a long talk on Christianity with J.R.R. Tolkien (a devout Roman Catholic) and Hugo Dyson. That evening's discussion was important in bringing about the following day's event that Lewis recorded in Surprised by Joy: "When we [Warnie and Jack] set out [by motorcycle to the Whipsnade Zoo] I did not believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did."

I would love to have heard that conversation! Plus, I didn't realize Lewis was born in Northern Ireland. That makes him even cooler.

There's a link in the slices section to a trailer for the new movie. It's amazing. You can tell they have some of the same people from Lord of the Rings helping on this. It's going to be great. The page that brings up the trailer also has a link to footage of the director and the WETA crew working on the film.

I can't wait.:hyper:

I have read and re-read the Chronicles since childhood and still find something new in them every time I go back. It will be interesting to see how a movie turns out.

This is one movie I am definitely looking forward to!

I have the BBC versions, and they are well done (especially liked Tom Baker playing Puddleglum the Marshwiggle!), but they are basically costume dramas. The fantastic beasts are puppets or people in costume. It will be interesting to see talking animals who actually do look like animals, and realistic-looking fauns and centaurs. :)

I don't like how the wardrobe is covered up, and how it looks like it's always a door to Narnia. Hopefully that's just for the trailer or something....

Also, I liked Aslan in the BBC version. He looked so cuddly! :cute:

coemgen said:

I would love to have heard that conversation! Plus, I didn't realize Lewis was born in Northern Ireland. That makes him even cooler.

They have a mural for him in East Belfast and on the centenary of his birth they erected a statue outside a library here for him. I think they also do tours as well, they used to anyway.

The Chronicles of Narnia will always be a favourite of mine. they remind me of that magical time in childhood when you were still young and naive and almost believed in faraway lands and adventures

:up:

and yeah meggie, the BBC version was fabulous. Aslan was spot on :D (although poor lucy had an.....interesting look :D )

bammo2 said:

and yeah meggie, the BBC version was fabulous. Aslan was spot on :D (although poor lucy had an.....interesting look :D )

Have you seen the reunion interview they did? Lucy ended up being the best looking out of all them!

Hmm....you know, I had this book lying in a drawer when I was younger and finally just gave it away without reading it. I may have to now.

meegannie said:
These are the only pictures of the reunion I could find online:

http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1197&PN=1&TPN=7

Though it's not the best picture since her mouth is hanging open!

Thank you for the link! That's a good message board, too.

Oh, and I took the Narnia Personality Quiz; it said I was Lucy! :lol:

As Lucy Pevensie, you may be quite timid and shy, but your heart is in the right place! You make sure you tell the truth, even if it results in embarrassment.

I read on the Narnia site that they aren't "hollywoodizing" the Chronicles, and are trying to stay closer to the book. They also said that the many Christian "allegories" are going to stay.

I think with WETA involved your going to get something great looking on screen, and I love that its done in New Zealand. I'm not sure if Narnia will have as great of writers as Lord of the Rings did, but everthing else seems to be panning out well for the movie.

The trailer looks very colorful!

Back
Top Bottom