Welcome to (G Bush's Homeland Security) America- Now, Get the f*ck out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Return to Sender

When American authorities can shackle, jail, humiliate and deport a plain British tourist, the question has to be asked: What has the U.S. become post-9/11?

By Rosi Hygate
Rosi Hygate, who was raised and educated in Britain, is a naturalized American citizen.

February 1, 2004

After nearly 10 years, my brother John was coming to Los Angeles from England to see me. Our mother had recently died, so it seemed especially important to be together. He would help me celebrate my birthday, then we would travel to Northern California.

John arrived at LAX at 2:45 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon last month. That was as close as he got to seeing me. After inspecting his passport, immigration officials informed him that there was a problem.

About 26 years ago, he was convicted in Britain of cocaine possession. He paid the required fine and never touched drugs again. In fact, he went on to work for more than 20 years for the British government as a prison liaison officer. But that wasn't good enough for the U.S.

Over the two days that followed his arrival, he was searched five times, fingerprinted 10 times and photographed again and again. Not until nearly three hours after he was originally detained was John even allowed to call me. By that time, I was extremely worried. On the phone, he asked me not to speak because he was not permitted to talk long or tell me anything other than that he was being sent back to the U.K. "I'm here and they are sending me back," he said.

Then the call was abruptly terminated. I subsequently found out that he had been handcuffed at the time, and the phone had been pulled away.

I was terrified and confused about what to do. My 58-year-old brother is a diabetic with high blood pressure and a heart condition. He is a solid, law-abiding citizen.

I immediately called a good immigration attorney, assuming things could be quickly resolved. I was shocked by what I learned. In this country, in the post-9/11 era, my brother has no rights, not even the right to go before a judge to plead his case. Nothing could be done. As the attorney said: "This is what immigration lawyers are up against under the Patriot Act."

Government officials testifying last week before the federal commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks described reforms they say have tightened U.S. border security. But it seems like it should be possible to screen out genuine terrorist threats while still allowing tourists from Britain, our closest ally in the Iraq war, to visit family members here.

My brother, I know anecdotally, is not alone in being stopped at the border, and I suspect the problem is bigger than any of us realizes.

After my brother's phone call, I assumed he had been sent home. So the next day, I started calling him in the UK. There was no answer. My brother's daughter and my younger brother had not heard from him either. I was frantic. Was he in a hospital somewhere? Had he been detained?

My travel agent managed to get through to officials at United (the airline he flew in on) and learned that he had been taken to a "facility" in downtown Los Angeles. It was more than 24 hours after he was first taken into custody that we heard he was en route from downtown back to LAX for a 5:30 p.m. flight to London. I asked to speak to him at the airport. My request was denied.

I did not learn the complete story until my brother was once again on British soil. After being detained handcuffed and searched at LAX on Thursday afternoon, he was confined to a fairly comfortable room until 1 a.m. Friday. He was then moved to a jail facility in Los Angeles, where for nine hours he was placed in a holding cell with a sloping stainless steel bench designed to prevent anyone from lying down.

Sometime Friday afternoon he was taken back to LAX in handcuffs, paraded through the airport on legs now swollen from his diabetes and held back until all the other passengers had boarded. He was then walked down the aisle of the plane, still in handcuffs, and placed next to a terrified woman who had to be reassured that he was not dangerous. His passport was confiscated and given to a flight attendant, who kept it until the plane landed in London.

John was told by U.S. officials that if he had arranged for a visa before departing the UK, this whole thing would not have happened. Yet, according to the State Department, England is part of the visa waiver program that allows British citizens to come to the U.S. as tourists without visas.

One immigration officer suggested that John go to the U.S. Embassy in London, get a visa and return to the U.S. John's reply saddens me. He said, "My sister loves your country. I will never set foot in it again."

After an 11-hour flight, his swollen legs made worse by the confinement of a transcontinental flight, John arrived home. The British immigration officer who met him (he had to remain in his seat until all passengers had disembarked) apologized for what had happened, returned his passport and sent him home.

I have lived in the U.S. for 20 years. I became a citizen because I am proud of this country. I am disappointed in the way my country behaved toward my brother.

The British have been staunch allies of the U.S. But from my vantage point, it appears the loyalty goes in just one direction.

The only people safe, it seems, are American-born WASPs.

Of course, that's who wrote and passed the Patriot Act in the first place.

Melon

Definitely, a horrible experience for John.

I know we all want to jump to the "Patriot Act Must Go" conclusion, but is this incident a result of a Patriot Act directive, or a poorly trained or overly cautious immigration official? Too many facts are missing before we can jump to these conclusions.

Rosi Hygate obviously has her own conclusions and is using her family anecdote to further her ideas.

deep said:
But it seems like it should be possible to screen out genuine terrorist threats while still allowing tourists from Britain, our closest ally in the Iraq war, to visit family members here.

Exactly.

And to nbcrusader:

Originally posted by deep
My brother, I know anecdotally, is not alone in being stopped at the border, and I suspect the problem is bigger than any of us realizes.

This person notes that their brother isn't the only one who's been through something along these lines. They're not just using their family anecdote to further some cause. If this weren't happening to other people, then you might be able to blame it on one immigration official acting ridculously. But since it is, well...it certainly at least raises some questions.

Originally posted by deep
John's reply saddens me. He said, "My sister loves your country. I will never set foot in it again."

:tsk:. That's horrible. It's even worse when you consider that not everyone who lives here would have treated him that badly.

This story makes me very sad, and just seems to show that the terrorists have indeed won, for everyone is now suspicious and fearful of each other.

Angela

It saddens me as well if it is indeed a complete and true account of all of the facts.

There have been other stories posted in here over the past year in which over time, facts later revealed the total picture, which changed my opinion on the situation.

I stand with NB on this.

If these aren't all the facts, and it turns out it has nothing to do with the Patriot Acts and it was indeed just one immigration official being overzealous, then I will definitely change my opinion.

But as of now, especially after the part in there mentioning that this man was not the only one who experienced something like this, well...

Angela

Would you come to the same conclusion if the story was about one person suffering abuse at the hands of anti-war protestors, and the writer also "heard other anecdotal" stories of abuse by anti-war protestors?

It sounds like a case of guilty until proven innocent.....

nbcrusader said:
Would you come to the same conclusion if the story was about one person suffering abuse at the hands of anti-war protestors, and the writer also "heard other anecdotal" stories of abuse by anti-war protestors?

It sounds like a case of guilty until proven innocent.....

:up:

if this story is indeed 100% true then it is indeed sad. but i'd rather have a few sad stories of relatives unable to see each other over a misunderstanding with immigration than thousands of stories of people who lost loved ones who were just going to work for the day...

the system is not perfect. no system is perfect for everybody. but i'll take an over-cautious approach to an under-cautious one anyday... but maybe that's just me :shrug:

It's a false comparison. The immigration officials operate under the authority of the government of the United States. When there are several instances of individuals being treated as described in the article, it's reasonable to suspect that it's as a result of a policy they are expected to carry out.

Anti-war protestors, on the other hand, aren't under the control or authority of a government or other institution. Therefore if a person was insulted by an anti-war protestor and heard of other examples of this, it wouldn't suggest that anti-war protestors were expected to act in the way, but rather that some individuals chose of their own free will to act in an insulting manner.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

:up:

if this story is indeed 100% true then it is indeed sad. but i'd rather have a few sad stories of relatives unable to see each other over a misunderstanding with immigration than thousands of stories of people who lost loved ones who were just going to work for the day...

I think it's insulting to the people mentioned in this story to dismiss their experience as merely a "sad story." We're talking about a man who was detained with no explanation for over 24 hours, denied a fair opportunity to inform their family of their whereabouts and then treated in a degrading manner while on a flight back to the UK. We're also talking about a woman who had no idea what had happened to her brother and had concerns about his medical conditions being exacerbated by his treatment.

I wonder if it would be a mere "sad story" if it happened to you?

While I agree that he was treated harshly, I don't think this was a result of the Patriot Act exclusively. This sort of thing happens quite often, and not just in the US. I've read dozens of personal accounts of Americans entering the UK on the visa waiver being grilled by immigration officers, detained in the cells for hours while their journals were being examined and their luggage searched, and then being deported to the US after being allowed only a very brief phone call. Even when you're entering a country legally, your entry is subject to the discretion of the immigration officer on duty.

meegannie said:
While I agree that he was treated harshly, I don't think this was a result of the Patriot Act exclusively. This sort of thing happens quite often, and not just in the US. I've read dozens of personal accounts of Americans entering the UK on the visa waiver being grilled by immigration officers, detained in the cells for hours while their journals were being examined and their luggage searched, and then being deported to the US after being allowed only a very brief phone call. Even when you're entering a country legally, your entry is subject to the discretion of the immigration officer on duty.

I was pulled into secondary security when I visited Canada last November simply because it was my second visit in 6 months. I was diverted from the regular Canada Customs line and sent to another office where a very unfriendly customs agent wanted to know exactly why I was there, where I was staying, who I was visiting and what I did for a living in the US. He asked me each question several times and even wanted the addresses where I would be staying. I even showed him the flyer for the U2 fan event I was attending that weekend but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I finally asked him why I was being interrogated this way when I was traveling with a valid passport and picture ID and he said that my "frequent" visits triggered a secondary screening.

My situation was entirely different than the man in this article and I was probably only detained for maybe 10 minutes but I was really scared, wondering what rights I had and what I would do if they decided to hold me there or send me back to the US.

So yeah, I agree with Meggie that this happens everywhere.

nbcrusader said:

Without trying to speak for Headache, I believe his use of the phrase "sad story" is his expression of outrage.

It clearly was not a strong enough reaction. Headache is way out of line.

headache please...show your outrage...more appropriatley...

:huh:

For example...

:shame: on anyone for judging anothers level of rage or outrage from a post on an internet board.:banghead: :rant: :rant: :censored:

than thousands of stories of people who lost loved ones who were just going to work for the day...

here's two of those stories, which i didn't even call "sad" in my original post, whom i knew personally...

mcwilliams.martin.jpg
maerz.noel.jpg

again... i'd rather have a few very sad stories of relatives unable to see each other over a misunderstanding with immigration than thousands of stories about people who lost loved ones who were just going to work for the day... the kind of stories that are so heartbreakingly sad that they make you question your entire purpose on this earth.

i hope i've expressed my outrage in a more telling, visable matter this time around...

Last edited:
I'd rather we just go after people we have very strong proof of being potentially dangerous. If people overhear threats from someone or a group of people that seem very real and report them, and if a person's baggage, when checked, has some weapons and stuff, then we deal directly with those people.

And it sucks that this happens all over the world, too. It sucks that we're all so freakin' suspicious of each other nowadays simply because of a few cold-hearted creeps' actions.

Also, well put, FizzingWhizzbees. :up:.

Angela

Oh...if it were only just a FEW.

AS I posted in the article written by a former terrorist. Terrorists are supported by Islamists through money even though they may not be the actual terrorists committing the atrocities. Terrorists and the more radical Muslims when they speak of peace, are not really speaking of peace, but waiting until they have the upper hand.

Which is EXACTLY what the President of Malaysia was saying months ago when I was FLamed for being anti-muslim.

Does this man's situation sadden me...yes. Am I mad at the government for taking measures to be more proactive...no. Am I pissed off at Extremists that have caused this situation. Yes.

I hope you all are just as forgiving if another country treats you or another law-abiding American this brutally.

But no...I know you all won't.

Melon

And if Americans were to take 4 planes and drive them into buildings killing people inside of them in the name of whatever.....

yeah...I think I would be consistent enough to understand why their country had increased its security meaures.

And if America was dominated by preachers and a boarderline theocracy that preached peace out one side of its mouth, and cheered for the terrorists out the other.....

And if America had state sponsored papers that encouraged suicide bombings...

Then Yeah...I am pretty sure I would be consistent enough to have a grip on why the security measures had changed.

Again,,,I am sad for this man and his family...it is sad that we continue to point the finger at our governement for trying to protect us. Shame on the people who brought us to this place....

I forgot about that peaceful celebration the hajj....

No reason to feel threatened at all by that as well.

Now we're blaming this on terrorists. Tell me how a British man with a 20 year-old drug conviction (not terrorism, not violent crime, etc.) warrants being mistreated?

We use 9/11 to excuse everything. Is it remotely possible to suggest that this has absolutely nothing to do with 9/11? Because once that specter is brought up, then you're condemned for criticizing any public policy. God forbid...

Melon

well i guess some of us here naive people believe that 9/11 changed everything. maybe some others don't think that way. :shrug: i dunno. the system is far from perfect. it's been just over 2 years since 9/11. the american system it's self isn't perfect, and it's had over 200 years to perfect it's self. before 9/11 we did too little. after 9/11 we're obviously doing too much.

i'm right smack in the middle of it. 5 people from my home town died that day, a relatively low amount compared to other neighborhoods in the new york metro area. i attended 16 different funerals/services in the months that followed... traveling back and forth from new hampshire, where i was attending school at the time. one day i attended 4 services alone. noell maerz... who's one of the men picture in my previous post... he has a young baby boy... born in october of 2001. he never got to see his son.

so yeah... admittedly... we're doing too much. this man should never have been denied enterance to the united states. he is no threat to national secuirty. but again... for the third time... i'd rather have a few mistakes of over-protection while we continue to develop the system then 1 deadly mistake of under-protection. but that's just me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom