Weapons inspections can resume?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

Yesterday, the UN and Iraq striked a deal about the weapons inspections. More news about this you find find here in the Boston Globe , the International Herald Tribune and I think many other newspapers. Great, you'd think, the possibility of war has waned a bit. Well, I think it's unfortunately not the case. Both the IHT as the Boston Globe report that now the USA is rejecting the deal and will probably block "the very inspections which they had been calling for." (from BBC News ).

Sorry?

I mean, weapons inspections can continue again and now the USA wants to block that? Iraq has agreed to all the conditions as set in previous UN resolutions (thus not breaking them). OK, this does mean that some actions/inspections are not permitted (unannounced visits to the 8 presidential palaces), but it's still better than nothing. With the deal that has been agreed upon inspectors will return to Iraq in 2 weeks or so. Should the USA block it and start pushing for its own resolution, inspections can be set back maybe indefinately, should other countries of the Security Council even consider to support yet another resolution.
IMHO, the USA should support these inspections for this moment. While there are some limitations to it (said unannounced visits to presidential palaces) there can be done a lot by the inspections team before they reach those limitations. It is therefore better to support the agreement now and try to get stricter resolutions later, when the inspections team has already inspected most (or all) they can and should inspect. It does not have to be all or nothing (as I think the chance of a nothing is quite high), but you can also reach it one step at a time.

Marty

I've only read some headlines, but I believe the point Bush is trying to make is that there's nothing mentioned about what's going to happen if Saddam kicks them out again. I don't believe Bush (or the US) opposes the inspections but as I said, I haven't really read about it yet.

Yeah, what the US is after, and what this doesn't have, is something to go with if they get kicked out, don't get the access they want etc, the US obviously, wants it to say they can use force. None of that is mentioned, that is what this resolution the US are after is for.

Hello,

Yes, as the articles state, the US wants a new resolution which explicitly says they can use force (war) when Iraq doesn't comply. However, as passing that resolution seems unlikely, should then be the US reaction to block all inspections? I think they can better support the inspections for the moment as it will be at least something. This doesn't mean they may not try to gather support for a harsher resolution in the background, keeping it in hand until it is necessary to push it forward. Why stop at the beginning when you can go halfway (with a prospect of reaching the end)?

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

Yes, as the articles state, the US wants a new resolution which explicitly says they can use force (war) when Iraq doesn't comply. However, as passing that resolution seems unlikely

Imho it's important that there is no explicite mentioning of that automatism in a UN resolution.

If there would be one who would decide if Iraq complies (enough?) You can't write down every eventuality that will happen in a resolution. Every country who feels like it could invade in the Iraq bacause of this Resolution.

If there is no expl. mentioning of that it would have to be debated again in the UN - imho the better choice.

Klaus

It's an evil ploy. They're adhering to the '91 treaty so the US won't invade. They can't fool us, though! Death to all Iraqis! George W Bush is great! All hail Bush!!

Incidentally, if you don't support our esteemed executive officer and commander-in-cheif, you're obviously a fan of Saddam and should be arrested for your un-American activities and sympathies, you dirty communist nazi.

Former Weapons Inspector: Iraqi Pranks Could Hamper Work
(2002-10-02) -- A weapons inspector who worked for the U.N. in Iraq in 1991 said Saddam Hussein used every conceivable method of delaying and foiling his work, including pranks like short-sheeting inspectors' hotel beds.

David Kay told MSNBC he had not seen similar behavior since college. In a phone call this afternoon, Mr. Kay said Saddam and his associates would also...

Super-Glue a small piece of plutonium to the floor and giggle as you try to pick it up.

Offer you mixed nuts from a can, then a "snake" springs out coated in white powder.

Say 'Pull my finger' and then release a small amount of sarin.

With handheld noisemaker, create rapid clicking sounds during Geiger counter scans.

Call the inspection office and ask to speak with "Anne Thracks"

This tactic always works with my kids.

Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it and Laughs)

This sounds like and effective way to keep Iraq in compliance.

Let's have another toothless UN Resolution. Then dabate about it when we find out he will not let us search where we want.

Do you really think limited inspections will where Iraq chooses to let inspectors go will help?

Do you really think he will comply if there is no conseqence for his actions?

Please show me a fact from the past ten years that this man takes the UN seriously.

Dreadsox said:
This tactic always works with my kids.

Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it)
Don't do that!
(Kid does it and Laughs)

Right - doing nothing is no option - but you would not slap your kids to discipline them.

Sadam as a missbehaving kid is an interesting parable anyway.

We are not the Parents of the Iraq - if you could compare anything like that then:
-UN is the Father
-US is the Big Brother
-Iraq is the little Brother (a missbehaving one)

So while the parents love it that the big brother cares about the little one they can't allow to slap him when there are other ways to punish him.

Okay to go back to reality..
..I'd prefer it if we all would care about internatinal laws and would use any other way of showing sadam that he can't do everything.
For that we need support of most countries (including Turkey and France) - we could do a more efficient embargo - more comparable to the Cuba missile crisis.
Be prepared for war but don't give anyone in the world hints that the western world could be the agressor.

Klaus

us3 said:
Saddam, you bad boy!! Time out!! Go to your room!

OK Daddy.........

HEHEHEH I promise I won't violate the rules ever again. I promise.

Back
Top Bottom