We love fur coats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vervex

The Fly
I thought this video was very interesting, but quite shocking. If you don't like to see suffering animals, I recommend you to prepare yourself mentaly before clicking on this link:

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp ?video=fur_farm&Player=wm&speed=_med

(copy/paste this in a new window if by clicking doesn't work : http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=fur_farm&Player=wm&speed=_med)

That's how, in some places, fur coats are made. Of course, it's not a daily practice in America for example, but such things can happen else where. I personally thing it's very sad and disturbing that in the 21th century people can't kill an animal before taking off its skin.

I never liked fur coats, and now I like them even less...
Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
I was asking myself the same question after seeing this... The only different would be that cows are being skinned instead of furry animals. If in the meat industry some cows get cut in pieces alive because they've not being knocked hard enough, I guess it can be done for leather too, yes.

I would never wear a fur coat, I am uncomfortable even wearing faux fur. I cringe when I see people wearing fur, but I wouldn't feel comfortable "accosting" them or anything like that.

But I wear leather so that makes me rather hypocritical

I wear leather, but I just don't like fur. It's also too expensive. If I had the money I'd rather spend it in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul when I'm there.

Leather is a very cool material to wear.

We've always worn other animal's skins as cover, because we don't have cery much insulation ourselves

That being said, I'm not advocating cruel treament of animals.

That's how, in some places, fur coats are made. Of course, it's not a daily practice in America for example, but such things can happen else where. I personally thing it's very sad and disturbing that in the 21th century people can't kill an animal before taking off its skin.

I never liked fur coats, and now I like them even less...
Any thoughts ?

nevermind

For Honor said:
Leather is a very cool material to wear.

We've always worn other animal's skins as cover, because we don't have cery much insulation ourselves

Gore Tex and wool also do a nice job of insulating without slaughtering animals in the process.

The way I see it, wearing a fur coat is no different than wearing leather shoes or eating veal.

The reason I hate it is on account of the fact it's ugly.

anitram said:
The way I see it, wearing a fur coat is no different than wearing leather shoes or eating veal.

The reason I hate it is on account of the fact it's ugly.

i dunno.

i think one difference is that cows are raised for meat and milk and also for leather -- you're getting many different products out of one animal.

the fur industry seems so wasteful, as the animal is killed only for fur, the rest of it disposed of.

fur is way, way ugly though.

vervex said:
you see cows are beind decapitated with knifes being being skilled as slaughtery is not permitted in India.
:scratch: Isn't decapitation a form of slaughter?

The lives of Indian leatherworkers are a miserable lot--their caste is sort of the untouchables of the untouchables due to the negative connotations of working with cow flesh. Unfortunately in rural areas there isn't much else they can do.

randhail said:

Gore Tex and wool also do a nice job of insulating without slaughtering animals in the process.

Very nice argument you bring here :) You don't need to wear leather. Now that we have the choice to wear other products from clothes, unlike our ancestors that couldn't live longer than 40 year old and couldn't even write and communicate properly, why choosing to kill animals ? There's no need. It's only "fasionable", a fashion that is very ugly, where you must kill living beings for looking cool. I don't buy that.

nbcrusader said:

Are there other uses for fur bearing animals that are being missed?

i'm not sure.

i suppose there's no contractiction between wearing leather and eating meat.

but it seems like fur is simply a more wanton destruction of an animal.

There are definitely groups of people, like the Inuit, for example, who make much better use of the entire animal and don't kill them solely for the fur.

anitram said:
There are definitely groups of people, like the Inuit, for example, who make much better use of the entire animal and don't kill them solely for the fur.

Of course. Besides, they can't use really anything else than animal skins if they still live the tradictionnal way, like some of them. But in today's society, it's not a need.

Not a need, just a better material and product. I like animal, I have a goatskin jacket - I might spring for horse at some point.

Animal hides are good, don't want it don't buy it, leave the rest of us out of your crusade.

Back
Top Bottom