watch CBC The National tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
they are doing a special on America

how do people around the globe feel about the most powerful nation on the planet?

the CBC is talking to nine other broadcasts to get a "global" perspective

it should be interesting...and slightly controversial...which is always good for the mind! :sexywink:

Oh cool! BBC are also broadcasting this...I think it's being filmed from the War Rooms in London. There are quite a few interesting people being interviewed in London for it. :)

i'm wondering if perhaps PBS will broadcast it here in the states.

or maybe if it's a violation of the patriot act. :|

keep in mind, naysayers, that it will not necessarily be a bad slant on america.

no doubt the french will have choice words though :sexywink:

lol, well I just watched most of the BBC show and it sucked. It could have been really good as they had some excellent people interviewed, like Clare Short, for one. Only they made it completely simplistic and it was just dull as a result. :(

I watched it too, and agree with Fizz. Though I liked the Palestinian guy (I never saw who he was :reject: ) and the guy from Newsweek International. :up:

I think the Palestinian guy was Saeb Erekat (sp?) and he's the chief Palestinian negotiator, or something like that. I saw him speak at a Palestine demo last year too.

I listen to BBC radio at night on pubic radio. They had a segment on this last night. I get bbcAmerica on my cable tv. They are not broadcasting it. That is too bad

America has 5 percent of the world?s population. America uses 40 percent of the world?s resources. What the world thinks of us is important.

exactly, but it seems apparent that people don't care what the rest of the world thinks about you. That was one point brought up last night in a poll, and as is evidenced by ouizy's post above.

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. Canada is one of the biggest supporters of America though a majority do not find Bush favourable. In fact, almost all places do not like Bush.

I was surprised to see Brazil's distrust in america. They were almost on par with the mid-east in some polls!
Of course, Jordan absolutely dispises the U.S.

two areas in which the whole world seemed to agree was:
-That America in arrogant.
-That America military might is misused or that they are a danger to the world.

I forget all the poll results...but they are posted at www.cbc.ca

That America in arrogant

who lil 'ol us???

:sexywink:

America should definitely pull its military out of all the countries we are in policing and keeping the peace.

We should see what happens.

It could be fun.

It could also be a massacre.

Basstrap said:
two areas in which the whole world seemed to agree was:
-That America in arrogant.
-That America military might is misused or that they are a danger to the world.

I forget all the poll results...but they are posted at www.cbc.ca

I agree with this, and I'm even an American. I wish we could learn some humility.

ouizy,
such responses I find very irritating

I'm just posting what the world thinks and you post in such a snide manner. No wonder so many think the U.S is arrogant

lets say it means What Would Melon Do

:wink:
for convienience sake

http://www.cbc.ca/news/america/poll.html

^that's the link to the actual poll, not to CBC's front page.

as far as brazil hating us - should that really be such a shock? perhaps they remember the 80s while we were never aware of them. or they remember the early 90s when we had hidden wars there.

if i was brazilian i'd hate me too.

should we pull out our military from "policing" places in countries in south america?

would it show our humility?

or would we be blamed for allowing chaos to come back?

both?

it's a catch-22 that the US is always involved in.

ouizy said:

who lil 'ol us???

America should definitely pull its military out of all the countries we are in policing and keeping the peace.

We should see what happens.

It could be fun.

It could also be a massacre.

Where exactly are you talking about, just out of curiosity? :)

Should I start with the countires in Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East?

I am sorry if my sarcastic tone does not always make sense, but understand it is sarcasm (mostly.)

Although it does not interest me to watch a Canadian broadcast about what is wrong with the US, I do respect other's opinions on how this country is behaving.

It really should not be taken so seriously (snide), I am just an arrogant American.

you think we should get out of africa before south america?

i mean, i agree we should be everywhere telling everyone what to do - but it seems like the south americans are far better off without us than with us.

ouizy said:
Should I start with the countires in Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East?

Africa would probably be most interesting to hear your opinions on, but do feel free to elaborate on the US' "policing and keeping the peace" in any other region you choose. :)

ouizy said:

Or we could simply ask the folks on this TV show where we should police or pull out. Maybe then all of the U2 fans will be cool with America.

Seriously, I have decided that I find threads of this subject matter to be "offensive" and "insensitive," so I therefer think they should be banned or ruled "taboo" or whatever. First of all, by birth and geography, I am American. And because of my education, my upbringing, my beliefs/viewpoints, etc., I voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and I remain satisfied with him as President, but somebody on the TV show said they view Americans as "arrogant" probably because we elected Bush and due to the actions that the U.S. has undertaken since he was elected President. The unanimous attitude that "America is arrogant" even implicates Americans who did not vote for Bush, such as ouizy, but who are not rioting in the streets and what-not in protest. Therefore, I am offended at the insensitive characterizations of America as arrogant. Please, let's have no more threads criticizing America.

Fair enough?

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
To be fair to the U.S., it is popular for foreign media to broadcast America bashing TV shows, just as it is popular for U.S. media to paint the Middle East as an autocratic and fanatical extension of the Dark Ages.

I think it would have been more controversial if the conclusion of the show would have been pro-U.S.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Does this stand for "Where are the Weapons of Mass Destruction" or "What Would Melon Do"?

Haha...I needed a good laugh tonite! :sexywink:

Melon

Basstrap said:
lets say it means What Would Melon Do

:wink:
for convienience sake

Even though I would be quite intrigued to glance at the Melon Manifesto, I believe Mr. Basstrap has a quite more devious reference...

DeepThroat says, the key is in the avatar :sexywink:.

people!!!!

this show was NOT america bashing

it was fairly objective

MANY of the results were positive

it was NOT a canadian endeavour but a worldwide endeavour, unprecendented in scope.

1000 people in 11 countries around the world were polled.

I have serious questions about the representative sample, though. All the same, it is interesting, and I wish you would stop being so offended. You must expect, being in the position of power america is in, that many people will not like it. It is not unnatural

U2Bama said:

Or we could simply ask the folks on this TV show where we should police or pull out. Maybe then all of the U2 fans will be cool with America.

Seriously, I have decided that I find threads of this subject matter to be "offensive" and "insensitive," so I therefer think they should be banned or ruled "taboo" or whatever. First of all, by birth and geography, I am American. And because of my education, my upbringing, my beliefs/viewpoints, etc., I voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and I remain satisfied with him as President, but somebody on the TV show said they view Americans as "arrogant" probably because we elected Bush and due to the actions that the U.S. has undertaken since he was elected President. The unanimous attitude that "America is arrogant" even implicates Americans who did not vote for Bush, such as ouizy, but who are not rioting in the streets and what-not in protest. Therefore, I am offended at the insensitive characterizations of America as arrogant. Please, let's have no more threads criticizing America.

Fair enough?

~U2Alabama

You're kidding, right? "Let's have no more threads criticising America." Is America somehow so perfect as to be above reproach? I would have assumed this was just sarcasm but for the fact that you started with the sentence "seriously, I have decided..." If we're debating international politics, there is no way to avoid commenting on the role of the United States, and some people's comments will inevitably be critical. Preventing people from making any criticism of America would be impossible.

BTW, ouizy, I'm still curious about where exactly you want American troops to stop "policing and keeping the peace." Which countries specificaly were you thinking of? :)

Back
Top Bottom