Was I an idiot (for caring)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Ok I tink most of ya will laugh after reading this but anyway??

Aaaaaaaaaaaaages ago (last year basically)?.one of the lads pulled the shutters up just at the entrance of my reception and walked in saying ?Here, theres a pigeon for ya? I looked out and right enough down in the corner by the entrance was a pigeon with a (possible) broken wing????and within minutes I was out, covering it gently with kitchen roll to bring it in??and also within the quick time had grabbed an empty box?..so set her/him in gently and was more concerned with it than my job (for most of that day actually) ? wondering what on earth to do, like, do I take it to the vet now, or is there anyway I can keep it going until after work?.etc?..when I remembered that we had a true ?bird-watcher? in my work, so I called him down????..and he views it, with some laughs, and he examines it, with more laughs, in the end saying ? we can keep it warm by the radiator, etc, but like, its just a pigeon!? (it wasn?t a racing one, one of those regular ones that eats gunk with oil on it ? and possibly attacks other birds)?..but I was like ? I don?t care if its just a pigeon, I want to see if I can save it, it has a life you know!?

So it was next door with those lads who leave the loo stinkin, by the radiator in a box with holes (cause the bird-watcher recommended this) and every now and then I would run water into its mouth to stop
dehydration and at one point it went so cold??I thought it was dead, and one of the lads joked about breaking its neck to finish it off as there was no point for it, and were joking at me too????all because I tried to save it???.but apparently it had come round again, so it survived ok with me checking in on it with water, etc????afterwards we took it to the vets but she said that the oil (many of them swallow this and its poisonous) was going to kill it anyway and that the best thing for it was to be put down??there was no hope ? but she was dead nice about it?.I was sad for it but happy for two reasons: one ? it wasn?t going to get its neck broken by one of the lads and it may not have been done right or two ? the WORST thing that could have happened to that pigeon was that there are rough kids who live near my work and they had only to pass, notice it and prob give it hell by tossin it up into air or throwin the poor helpless thing against a wall for fun and cruelty, and THAT?S why I lifted it there and then also,,,,I couldn?t sit with it lying like that outside????but with the ?bird-watcher? saying its ?just a pigeon? and laughin (mum says he wouldn?t if it had been a rare crane!), and some of the other lads next room laughin at the idea of what I done to save ?scum? as they would call it???its left me wanting to ask, do u think I was being daft or an idiot.???? Be honest now????cause I could not help what came natural?.
frown.gif

(sorry for all the info)

I think you're anything but an idiot. What you did shows that you're a kind person who has some respect for other living things - unlike the idiots who wanted to hurt the pigeon. And as you said, even if there wasn't any chance the pigeon could survive, at least you made sure it was taken care of and treated with some kindness and I think that's a wonderful thing to do. So no, you're not an idiot - the real idiots are the ones who laughed at you for doing the right thing. You go girl!

(and I did almost exactly the same thing with rescuing an injured hedgehog...long story)

No maddie you definately aren't an idiot.

What you did was so kind and compassionate. Dont let anyone stop you from helping an injured animal.

frown.gif

You did the right thing, Maddie. I get so angry about such things myself. I've had an even more "idiotic" experience. Some co-workers of mine thought it would be fun to buy a dozen guppies and put them in the watercooler. I noticed shortly after they had put them in there and got hopping mad. I took them out and took them to an guy who had a fish tank in his office. Most of them survived.

Well i didn't laugh and i don't think you're an idiot.

I think what you did was very sweet and caring.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

@ mad: Idiot??? Not at all!!! What you did was 100 % right!

Concerning your co-workers: "Don't let the bastards grind you down..."
wink.gif

annalivia

------------------
"I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego.
When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day,
you know you're a singer."

Bono's Harvard address, June 2001

Almost everyone in my family is an animal rights activist (or at least, you know, supports it) and we do this kind of thing ALL the time. It's practically routine. We've rescued baby raccoons, cats, dogs, rats, mice, lots of birds, chicken, and cows. I really really think you did the right thing.
smile.gif

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

It was a good thing to do, Mad1, but I guess us country-folks have a bit more realistic view on things...Anyways, it always good to show that you have a heart

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

Maddie, that was a very kind thing to do, I wouldn't worry about what anyone thinks or says. I wish more people reacted the way you did. and if it makes you feel any better, I've called the vet to try and save a bird my cat brought in half alive when I was home alone, and Im sure she thought I was slightly crazy. So please don't feel like an idiot!

Shed a tear, that was a fabulous story! Just because it was a pigeon doesn't mean it wasn't alive!

Putting to sleep scares me though. I just found out this weekend that my dog has lymphomic cancer and wil have to be put to sleep. But the thought of us voluntarily ending his life breaks me in two (oh, I'm crying now...). But what's worse is the thought that he would be in pain. It's a tough decision and it's not like we won't end up putting him to sleep rather than make him live, but I know it will be a tough day that I literally fear when we do decide we need to put him to sleep. Sorry about drifting here, but it's just what's on my mind.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Lilly, I'm sorry
frown.gif

I know exactly how you feel; it's one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. Just remember, I'm sure you've given him a happy life, and now just the same, you will keep him from suffering. Be with him as much as you can and indulge him in his doggie whims. Hope you feel better, and I hope your dog does too. Hugs

I feel what you did was right and shows a healthy respect for life in general.

I just got a couple of cats recently. I dread the day they will have to be put to sleep. I rescued one who was a stray kitten.

However, I don't regard animal life and human life as equal. I don't think we should go around euthenizing people and breeding humans for their best qualities.

Regarding the comment about "country-folk"...I don't think people who breed animals to kill them for their product is necessarily the best way to make a living. We could all do really well on vegetables and beans. I think some of the greatest pets are cows. BUT...i like steak...does that make me bad? I don't think so.

Good means that it benefits all life, but it doesn't mean the same thing as being righteous. Righteous means acting on principle or morals. You have to know what's good to do what's righteous.

So, it's not bad to eat meat or kill animals for various practical purposes.

AND it doesn't necessarily mean you're a GOOD person if you try to save EVERY animal you come into contact with.

I think you know the answer yourself. You are great.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Here in the land of opportunity.
Watch us revel in our liberty.
You can say what you like.
But it doesn`t change anything.
Cos the corridors of power are an ocean away.
We`re the 51st state of America.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom