Warren Buffet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Yesterday my mom was telling me that Warren Buffet decided to give his money away, rather than include it in his will. I just found this article (below). Based on the figures given there, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation alone is set to receive roughly $31 billion!

NEW YORK (FORTUNE Magazine) - We were sitting in a Manhattan living room on a spring afternoon, and Warren Buffett had a Cherry Coke in his hand as usual. But this unremarkable scene was about to take a surprising turn.

"Brace yourself," Buffett warned with a grin. He then described a momentous change in his thinking. Within months, he said, he would begin to give away his Berkshire Hathaway fortune, then and now worth well over $40 billion.

his news was indeed stunning. Buffett, 75, has for decades said his wealth would go to philanthropy but has just as steadily indicated the handoff would be made at his death. Now he was revising the timetable.

"I know what I want to do," he said, "and it makes sense to get going." On that spring day his plan was uncertain in some of its details; today it is essentially complete. And it is typical Buffett: rational, original, breaking the mold of how extremely rich people donate money.

Buffett has pledged to gradually give 85% of his Berkshire stock to five foundations. A dominant five-sixths of the shares will go to the world's largest philanthropic organization, the $30 billion Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, whose principals are close friends of Buffett's (a connection that began in 1991, when a mutual friend introduced Buffett and Bill Gates).

The Gateses credit Buffett, says Bill, with having "inspired" their thinking about giving money back to society. Their foundation's activities, internationally famous, are focused on world health -- fighting such diseases as malaria, HIV/AIDS, and tuberculosis -- and on improving U.S. libraries and high schools.

Up to now, the two Gateses have been the only trustees of their foundation. But as his plan gets underway, Buffett will be joining them. Bill Gates says he and his wife are "thrilled" by that and by knowing that Buffett's money will allow the foundation to "both deepen and accelerate" its work. "The generosity and trust Warren has shown," Gates adds, "is incredible." Beginning in July and continuing every year, Buffett will give a set, annually declining number of Berkshire B shares - starting with 602,500 in 2006 and then decreasing by 5% per year - to the five foundations. The gifts to the Gates foundation will be made either by Buffett or through his estate as long as at least one of the pair -- Bill, now 50, or Melinda, 41 -- is active in it.

Berkshire's price on the date of each gift will determine its dollar value. Were B shares, for example, to be $3,071 in July - that was their close on June 23 - Buffett's 2006 gift to the foundation, 500,000 shares, would be worth about $1.5 billion. With so much new money to handle, the foundation will be given two years to resize its operations. But it will then be required by the terms of Buffett's gift to annually spend the dollar amount of his contributions as well as those it is already making from its existing assets. At the moment, $1.5 billion would roughly double the foundation's yearly benefactions. But the $1.5 billion has little relevance to the value of Buffett's future gifts, since their amount will depend on the price of Berkshire's stock when they are made. If the stock rises yearly, on average, by even a modest amount - say, 6% - the gain will more than offset the annual 5% decline in the number of shares given. Under those circumstances, the value of Buffett's contributions will rise.

Buffett himself thinks that will happen. Or to state that proposition more directly: He believes the price of Berkshire, and with it the dollar size of the contributions, will trend upward - perhaps over time increasing substantially. The other foundation gifts that Buffett is making will also occur annually and start in July. At Berkshire's current price, the combined 2006 total of these gifts will be $315 million. The contributions will go to foundations headed by Buffett's three children, Susan, Howard, and Peter, and to the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation.

This last foundation was for 40 years known simply as the Buffett Foundation and was recently renamed in honor of Buffett's late wife, Susie, who died in 2004, at 72, after a stroke. Her will bestows about $2.5 billion on the foundation, to which her husband's gifts will be added. The foundation has mainly focused on reproductive health, family planning, and pro-choice causes, and on preventing the spread of nuclear weapons. Counting the gifts to all five foundations, Buffett will gradually but sharply reduce his holdings of Berkshire (Charts) stock. He now owns close to 31% of the company-worth nearly $44 billion in late June - and that proportion will ultimately be cut to around 5%. Sticking to his long-term intentions, Buffett says the residual 5%, worth about $6.8 billion today, will in time go for philanthropy also, perhaps in his lifetime and, if not, at his death.

Because the value of Buffett's gifts are tied to a future, unknowable price of Berkshire, there is no way to put a total dollar value on them. But the number of shares earmarked to be given have a huge value today: $37 billion.

That alone would be the largest philanthropic gift in history. And if Buffett is right in thinking that Berkshire's price will trend upward, the eventual amount given could far exceed that figure.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/25/magazines/fortune/charity1.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

Wow! I don't know much about Warren Buffet, but what I know, I love. I had the pleasure of sitting by him when I heard Bono speak in 2002. I never would've guessed he was the second richest person. I thought he was a college professor until someone tapped me on the shoulder and said, "do you know who that is?!?"

I saw this on the news last night. Buffet was asked about why he chose the Gates Foundation and he simply said they are the best at generating results. Having amassed 40 odd billion dollars making those types of investment decisions what a huge shot of inspiration that sustainable change IS possible!

Also coming on the heels of Bill Gates retiring from day to day management of Microsoft to focus on his foundation...wow...it's incredible to think what can be accomplished and as 2 of the most admired and respected gurus of the corporate world, what a fantastic example they both have set. :yes:

:up:

this was fantastic, and i heard a quote from him in regards to his kids -- he wanted to "give them enough to do anything, but not enough to do nothing."

to me, this move gets into the whole culture of nepotism (a certain president comes to mind) and how corrosive and, bluntly, un-American and anti-Democratic it is, and it further indicts the stupidity of repealing the Estate Tax (lol at "the death tax"). we are not and should not ever be a country of landed gentry who pass along gobs of money to their biological offspring -- it seems to me that we often place too much emphasis on the importance of the biological nuclear family. love your family, take care of them, but do not think that merely because they are your own genetic material that they are somehow more worthy of beneficence than others. when your kids are so privileged that they have everything they could need, why flood them with more cash?

Amazing men! Should be really interesting to watch what Bill Gates does in the next few years. :up:

Irvine511 said:
"give them enough to do anything, but not enough to do nothing."

Nice quote. A WOW moment for me when I heard this. Wouldn't it be great to make a fortune and then see it all going to make a real difference.

adrball said:

Nice quote. A WOW moment for me when I heard this. Wouldn't it be great to make a fortune and then see it all going to make a real difference.

Yes - I thought the same thing when I read it. I would love to see a "competiton" emerge betweent the richest people on who can give the most.

AEON said:

Yes - I thought the same thing when I read it. I would love to see a "competiton" emerge betweent the richest people on who can give the most.

Just come to Grand Rapids, Michigan! There's nothing that's not named after the de Voses, van Andels, or Meijers. It's become very political; it's not about just giving for the sake of giving anymore. Not that I'm really complaining. Their money has been put to great uses, despite their motives.

I hope this money will do great things. I think Warren Buffett still seems like an old fashioned man with good values. I love how he said that when his rich friends bemoan the cycle of dependency of welfare, he turns it on them and talks about the cycle of dependency of their kids inheriting their wealth.

the iron horse said:
A whole lot cooler, to do something like like this without holding a press conference.

*do your good deeds in secret*

If it spotlights the charity in a positive way I can't see anything negative here.

the iron horse said:
A whole lot cooler, to do something like like this without holding a press conference.

Kinda hard to keep $30 billion dollars a secret :wink:

http://www.businessweek.com/pdfs/2005/0548_philsco.pdf

Lotsa rich people give away their money so it's not an uncommon event. The amount of the donation is definitely uncommon.

Bill & Melinda Gates along with Warren Buffett were on Charlie Rose for the full hour last night and it was a great interview. They mentioned Bono of course and his good works too.

the iron horse said:

Well, people have always wondered about what would happen to Buffet's money, plus it's like free PR for the foundation. It sets a good, public example and encourages more pressure on others to donate as well.

I'm sure he also does plenty of good deeds in secret. I think the press is to encourage others to do the same- at the press conference Bill Gates even mentioned Ted Turner publicly calling him and others out years ago for not giving what they could. Maybe that's Warren's way of doing the same thing.

Sorry to bring down such a lovely, positive thread-but I didn't want to start a separate one. Sad, just plain sad. Other words escape me

NEW YORK (AP) -- Warren Buffett's new philanthropic alliance with fellow billionaire Bill Gates won widespread praise this week, but anti-abortion activists did not join in, instead assailing the two donors for their longtime support of Planned Parenthood and international birth-control programs.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to which Buffett has pledged the bulk of his $44-billion fortune, devotes the vast majority of its funding to combating disease and poverty in developing countries. Less than 1 percent has gone to Planned Parenthood over the years. And the Gates Foundation does not permit its gifts to Planned Parenthood to be used for abortion services.

"The merger of Gates and Buffett may spell doom for the families of the developing world," said the Rev. Thomas Euteneuer, a Roman Catholic priest who is president of Human Life International.

Referring to Josef Mengele, the infamous Nazi death camp doctor, Euteneuer said Buffett "will be known as the Dr. Mengele of philanthropy unless he repents."

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America issued statements praising Buffett and Gates for their generosity. Gloria Feldt, a former Planned Parenthood president, said she was appalled by the harsh attacks on them.

"What an outrage that these people have the gall to cast aspersions on other citizens for standing up for what they believe," Feldt said Thursday. "They have no right whatsoever to criticize people who put their money where their mouths are."

The foundation founded by Buffett, and now named after his late wife, Susan, came under fire from some anti-abortion groups in the 1990s after it gave $2 million to fund clinical trials of mifepristone, more commonly known as the RU-486 abortion pill. The foundation also has supported various abortion-rights and family-planning groups, and Susan Buffett was eulogized after her death in 2004 as a champion of women's reproductive health.

Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Family Research Council, wrote a commentary this week holding the Buffetts partially responsible for the approval of RU-486 in 2000.

"Since then, approximately 500,000 American babies have been killed with RU-486," Perkins wrote. "Buffett's billions have the potential to do damage like this on a global scale."

Staff at the Susan T. Buffett Foundation office in Omaha, Nebraska, said its executive director, Allen Greenberg, would have no comment on the criticisms.

The Gates Foundation also is a patron of reproductive-health programs, funding research on new contraceptive technologies and initiatives to improve access to birth control.

Planned Parenthood, which is the leading provider of abortions in the United States, has received $34 million from the Gates Foundation over the years -- out of a total of $10.5 billion in grants worldwide, according to foundation spokeswoman Jacquelline Fuller. She said the foundation does not fund abortion services, earmarking the grants for other Planned Parenthood programs.

Joseph D'Agostino, a spokesman for the anti-abortion Population Research Institute, said the foundation position "is simply dishonest."

"Abortion services are the primary mission of Planned Parenthood," he said. "If you fund one side of an organization, that frees them up to transfer funds to the other things they do."

Feldt confirmed that the Gates Foundation stipulated that its gifts to Planned Parenthood not be used for abortion services. But that policy has not spared Bill Gates' Microsoft Corp. from anti-abortion protests over the years.

At the 2003 annual shareholders meeting, anti-abortion activists cited Microsoft's support for Planned Parenthood during an unsuccessful attempt to stop the company from directly contributing to charities.

Beyond the issue of abortion, some critics oppose the Buffett and Gates foundations' support for global family-planning and population control programs.

"Some of the wealthiest men in the world descend like avenging angels on the populations of the developing world," wrote Population Research Institute president Steven Mosher, a frequent critic of Gates and Buffett. "They seek to decimate their numbers, to foist upon vulnerable people abortion, sterilization and contraception."

I'm glad the radical pro-lifers seized the opportunity to show what small minds and hearts they actually have...it's easier when they step up and do it themselves lol.

Irvine511 said:
to me, this move gets into the whole culture of nepotism (a certain president comes to mind) and how corrosive and, bluntly, un-American and anti-Democratic it is, and it further indicts the stupidity of repealing the Estate Tax (lol at "the death tax"). we are not and should not ever be a country of landed gentry who pass along gobs of money to their biological offspring -- it seems to me that we often place too much emphasis on the importance of the biological nuclear family. love your family, take care of them, but do not think that merely because they are your own genetic material that they are somehow more worthy of beneficence than others. when your kids are so privileged that they have everything they could need, why flood them with more cash?

I would suggest that Warren Buffet’s message is quite the opposite regarding the Estate Tax. Rather than having the government bleed Buffett’s lifelong work dry, he is acting on his own and bypassing what the government would do (or not do) with the money. It is a bold statement of self action, instead of government action.

I am surprised that anyone standing against an Estate Tax would deserve the labels “un-American” or “anti-Democratic”. Perhaps they were part of an emotional response to the topic instead of an analysis of when (and if) those labels should be used. The country was founded in an era when land owners passed on their estates to their families (the now “un-American” practice).

As for what an individual should pass on to their children, I hope the individual would retain that choice, instead of distant politicians determining how you should love your family.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
If every good deed was done in secret, we'd probably lose faith in humanity.

What if Jesus did everything in secret?

Of course, the Iron Horse is only referring to Jesus’ teaching on public displays (for all to see) vs. private actions (where only God knows) – to underscore the prime motivation of our acts. I hope that part wasn’t cut. I really can’t imagine why the comment draws so many negative responses.

I doubt the public display will cause others to dig into their own pockets, as the common response is that Buffet could afford to give this money. Only those who seek the praises of man (and their names on buildings) would step forward. Which, of course, is what Jesus was speaking against.

nbcrusader said:

I doubt the public display will cause others to dig into their own pockets, as the common response is that Buffet could afford to give this money. Only those who seek the praises of man (and their names on buildings) would step forward. Which, of course, is what Jesus was speaking against.

So, are you saying that Jesus would disapprove of Warren Buffet donating his money to the Gates Foundation?

Do you feel that Warren gave the money away to seek the praises of man?

nbcrusader said:

Maybe Warren was trying to influence other rich guys to do the same. Rich guys do tend to like publicity more than salvation.

Reuters

NEW YORK (June 30) - Dining at a steakhouse can be a costly affair. Dining at a steakhouse with billionaire investor Warren Buffett is now a very costly one.

Lunch with the world's second-richest person went for $620,100 in an online charity auction on eBay Inc., topping last year's $351,100 record for the fundraiser.

Yongping Duan, a 45-year-old investor from Palo Alto, California, won the date, using the moniker "fastisslow." He topped a $620,000 bid by "magicyourlife." The weeklong auction ended Thursday night.

Buffett, the 75-year-old chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., has since 2000 offered lunches for up to eight people to benefit the Glide Foundation, a San Francisco non-profit that helps the poor, hungry and homeless.

Susan Buffett, the billionaire's late wife, worked for the charity, which has said its annual budget is $12 million.

Irvine511 said:
:up:
we are not and should not ever be a country of landed gentry who pass along gobs of money to their biological offspring -- it seems to me that we often place too much emphasis on the importance of the biological nuclear family. love your family, take care of them, but do not think that merely because they are your own genetic material that they are somehow more worthy of beneficence than others. when your kids are so privileged that they have everything they could need, why flood them with more cash?

So a man who busts his hump all his life to provide for his family shouldn't be able to pass that money on to his family without being taxed a second time on it?

Quite frankly, it's none of your's or the government's business what a man should do with his own money when he dies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom