War with Iraq...What is the U.S. Thinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so is there a possible peace resolution ????? like what Iraq can do to save its ass ??? Or Sadam Hussein , to let inspection in ??????

ultraviolet7 said:

And your point is?

That poverty and terrorist activity really don't correlate that well.

The US should deal with terrorist groups directly.

And after that, the US should persuade Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations in the area to do something about their Islamic "theological seminaries."

Last edited:
You bring up a relevant question, pinkfloyd.

What if Saddam Hussein DID allow unconditional, unrestricted inspections?

And why DOESN'T he? Does he have something to hide? SO far, his proposals to the U.S. and to the U.N. have been inadequate and clearly on his terms. What is he hiding? Dirty magazines under his desk? A bag of pot under his pillow case? It makes me wonder.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

Dirty magazines under his desk? A bag of pot under his pillow case? It makes me wonder.

Both of these would indeed be serious offenses for a Muslim head of state; all the more justification for getting rid of Saddam Hussein.

speedracer said:
That poverty and terrorist activity really don't correlate that well

Probably not where actual terrorists are concerned. However, the education level and financial status of actual terrorists does not necessarily represent that of the people who support them as their only hope of being heard. We are not discussing the profile or the motives of actual terrorists but rather the causes they represent at least on the surface. If the actual recruits do it for ideological reasons, for monetary ones (rewards to suicide bomber families, etc) or are bored/wealth-conscious rich kids, it does not change the fact that ordinary people follow and support them because these groups claim to fight against the cause of real grievances that affect them in their everyday existences.

Even if it is true that terrorist cells do not operate most of the time out of legitimate national/regional interest but use such issues which ARE really pressing to obtain benefit (economic, of negotiation, etc) for themselves, this musn't be misunderstood as that the motives (i.e. poverty/oppression/substandard - not to say subhuman - living conditions) which make ordinary people support terrorist action don't exist. If such motives cease to exist, terrorist cells won't have any support and thus will eventually disappear.

speedracer said:
The US should deal with terrorist groups directly.

It doesn't seem to be an easy task since no-one who tried this approach (Israel against Hamas/Hezbollah, the British against the IRA, the Spanish against the ETA, Dubyah's "war in Afghanistan", etc) has had any success up to date.

speedracer said:
And after that, the US should persuade Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations in the area to do something about their Islamic "theological seminaries."

Meaning?

Last edited:
uv7,

I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that ObL didn't spend the last 5 years of his life hiding in hollowed-out mountains in Afghanistan so that he could win any popularity contests. I think that Osama bin Laden, Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad know perfectly well what they want and would be able to continue their operations even if they weren't so wildly popular in the Middle East.

And the Islamic "theological seminaries" in Saudi Arabia and throughout the Middle East that I was referring to are really centers for Islamic fanaticism and blatant anti-West propaganda (I'll try to look up a reference for you later). So there's plenty of support for these terrorist groups in the absence of poverty and oppression.

I do agree that Palestine should have an independent democratic state (that will also have the means to round up terrorists, instead of the IDF having to do it), and I do agree that the US should seriously reconsider its ties with Saudi Arabia, but neither of these points obviates the need for the US to continue to fight against militant Islamists.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Bush has already said the US reserves the right to bomb Iraq regardless of the admission and findings of UN weapons inspectors.

b52.jpg
:wave: :wave:

I think zedge post resumes it, dubya wants to play war, he was looking for an excuse, but in fact he doesn't need it, he needs to play war to boost his chances to be elected again, since the economy in the USA (his fault or not) is still going down....or I may be wrong ;)

:wave:

Last edited:
I still cannot understand how come would be possible for anyone to idolize such awful objects of massive destruction...I think I would need to be born again to fully understand that, frankly.

And I?m afraid to say that ultraviolet7?s comments on historical US politics towards Latin America are really accurated. Unfortunetaly.

rafmed said:
I think zedge post resumes it, dubya wants to play war, he was looking for an excuse, but in fact he doesn't need it, he needs to play war to boost his chances to be elected again, since the economy in the USA (his fault or not) is still going down....or I may be wrong ;)

:wave:

As usual rafmed, you don't know what the heck you are talking about.

You continually take pot shots at the US and President Bush, why- jealousy?

Thats the likely scenario.

If you were in the USA right now you would see that the economy is not as bad as your fellow liberals would have you believe.

In America you can hardly get into an expensive resturaunt on any given night, houses are being built everywhere- expensive houses that is. The want ads in the paper list thousands of jobs yet we are in a bad economy. And evil $40k SUV's that destroy the planet are everywhere, every street corner.

Yet, what the hell does this have to do with war against Iraq???

Bush is trying to make this world safer to live in for not just us but everyone, yet you hate him for it?

Have you something to hide??????????

b2_takeoff.jpg

-z edge

Last edited:
follower said:
I still cannot understand how come would be possible for anyone to idolize such awful objects of massive destruction...I think I would need to be born again to fully understand that, frankly.

And I?m afraid to say that ultraviolet7?s comments on historical US politics towards Latin America are really accurated. Unfortunetaly.

Follower,
I do love these planes as I am in the business of these planes.

I do wish we didn't have to use them, other than for air shows and training.

IF they could serve as a deterrent of force then what is wrong with that?

Here is another one for you :heart: :
b2_9.jpg

-z edge

And it has been a while since I posted some actual bombing runs:
24333290LipOuotsFY_ph.jpg

and here is a stealth loading bombs :) enjoy :up:
sblaser.jpg

-z edge

Trying to make the world safer????

:lmao:

Someone that is so willing to play with those toys obviously has no respect for human life, so I doubt it would be of any worth to try to argue with you, hope one of your toys don't explode in your hands.

I found your reply to follower be quite offensive arrogant and stupid, I hope you find some common sense in your head. :no:

:down: :down: :down:

Last edited:
rafmed said:
Trying to make the world safer????

um yes, it's is called stopping terrorism and keeping those people who like to terrorize other nations from doing so :der:

Someone that is so willing to play with those toys obviously has no respect for human life,

so we should just turn in our planes and let the terrorists and drug lords and whomever else run the world?

so I doubt it would be of any worth to try to argue with you,

What it never stopped you before?
It never stopped you from continually posting this anti-american stuff
What is your problem with america?

hope one of your toys don't explode in your hands.

are there any MODS out there????

I think we can read between the lines on this one???????

*HINT
*HINT

I found your reply to follower be quite offensive arrogant and stupid, I will not ask the moderators to put an end to it, I hope you find some common sense in your head.

SO you are following the follower :lol:

I believe Follower can speak for themself (sorry I dunno gender?)

You find my post offensive.

Likewise, I have found several hundred of yours to be VERY offensive too.

I especially like this one where you wish my toys to explode in my hands

thank you

oh, and

stealth-bomber-25.jpg

"mexico mexico mexico city, how did you get so high"
-Bono, PoPMart in Mexico City 1997

-z edge

Last edited:
If ya's are both offended by the way this thread is going, maybe its best closed. Email or pm if you want to complain and it can be re-opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom