War On 'Terror' ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well i for one am starting to wonder what the point of all this attacking on afghanistan is going to achieve?

its just going to bring more death to innocent civillians because of 'missed targets'

and to top it off there's more heated words exchanged more anthrax, more paranoia, more fear, and bin laden has actually won when this happens

do we need a world like this?

ok two large buildings are downed and 7000 are dead and its going to take a long time to clear up the rubble

but cant we let sleeping bodies lie?

from the moment they attacked afghanistan it became odd, because terrorism still reigns throughout the world, throughout the middle east, throughout africa and south america. but no, someone has called this a 'war on terrorism'.

its beginning to look more like 'angry americans taking out their frustration on the fact they cant catch bin laden'

oh well, just as long as people continue to live in their little boxes they will continue to believe the media propaganda generated that there is actually something that is going to be achieved out of all this

i think there will be controversy generated on this post, but someone has got to make the call, sitting on the fence

One thing that you must consider is what would happen if America and the world did nothing. Would the terror stop? Would Osama feel like he should stop killing innocent people? Would the Islamic militants' hatred toward the free world cease?

No. Never.

Just answer me this:

What should be done

Give me one thing that could be done that would have made progress!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I really dont think there is anything anyone on this planet can do to alter the opinion and purpose of these types of people. War is about the only suggestion anyone can come up with, but that doesnt mean its gonna be successful. Unfortunately after Bin Laden goes others will take his place. And after the Taliban are gone, unfortunately there will be other groups to take their place.

yeh but how on earth are you going to get bin laden just by doing this?

a man hunt would be more called for instead or something else of just bombing and thinking a country and thinking they are achieving something in the process

also i heard the death toll is not all that great (ok its still great) but its less than 2000 from last accounts

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
also i heard the death toll is not all that great (ok its still great) but its less than 2000 from last accounts

Which deathtoll? WTC is over 5000....

CK

yeh but how on earth are you going to get bin laden just by doing this?

a man hunt would be more called for instead or something else of just bombing and thinking a country and thinking they are achieving something in the process

So you think that Afganistan would just let American/UN forces could just walk around their country at free will?

*Reality check*

Originally posted by TheU2:
Which deathtoll? WTC is over 5000....

CK

hmm... someone on the web said that the toll is about 1700 in the WTC

anyway its been tight lipped on how many people have died for the last month or so as well, so im thinking not that as many died

Originally posted by U2Bama:
That's some great evidence you have to back up that number, CrashedCarDriver!

Are you disputing the validity of "someone on the web"?

Originally posted by U2Bama:
That's some great evidence you have to back up that number, CrashedCarDriver!

the media being all tight lipped on how many people have actually died

that's THE EVIDENCE

this is turning out to be a bigger exercise of propaganda than just politics in this so-called 'holy' war

You can go to most any media outlet, government, corporate, or independent, and they will have the numbers missing vs. the numbers recovered broken down, and it is usually in the 4,000 to 5,000 range. What some yahoo says on the internet about 2,000 should not be considered evidence.

And remember, it is the Taliban and bin Laden, NOT the U.S., who is calling this a "holy war."

~U2Alabama

the media being all tight lipped on how many people have actually died

that's THE EVIDENCE

this is turning out to be a bigger exercise of propaganda than just politics in this so-called 'holy' war

Yeah, only 100 people died in the holocoust.
You're a fucking moron.

Over 110 people died in my 1.5-2 square mile neighborhood alone.

Why don't you count the funerals. Or are the US government hiring actors to fall apart and sob over an American Flag draped casket. Again, you're a fucking moron.

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 11-08-2001).]

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
So you think that Afganistan would just let American/UN forces could just walk around their country at free will?

*Reality check*

Pfft, the American and UN forces do not want to walk around there, after the cluster bombs.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Yeah, only 100 people died in the holocoust.

eek.gif
Woah!

ITZ ON THE INTERWEB, IT GOTZ TO BE TROO!!!

hmm... someone on the web said that the toll is about 1700 in the WTC
Crashed, taht's the confirmed dead. The 5000+ number is the missing. And at this point, if they're not accounted for, they're dead.

One thing that you must consider is what would happen if America and the world did nothing. Would the terror stop? Would Osama feel like he should stop killing innocent people? Would the Islamic militants' hatred toward the free world cease?

No. Never.

So, as you can see everything the US is doing is making Ossama Bin Laden think that he should stop killing unitedstatians...now he is REALLY scared...that's why he is laughing his fucking ass off in front of your faces. C'mon ppl! (Oups I should not talk, i remembered that im anti US)

I cant believe how the things are turning...I mean...I read today that Powell want to bomb Irak after Afganistan 'cos US does not want that a country that has developed great arms thinks that they dont count on it, or something...wasnt it about terrorism?...BTW the US has some Al Qaeda bases (quite redundat) in it's territory, so count the whole world as a place for terrorism...(and join Amnesty International)

Tons of love, and in this comming days more than ever and specially to Anma and any other muslims pals: As salamu alai kum! Allah Hafiz! (I can't believe that you'll keep bombing durin Ramadam...I can't believe it...It is as senseless as someone fliying a plane into a tower, so as you can see, everything is possible in this world...)

PS confused: If Im not on the US side...and Im not on the Terrorist side...and Im not in the middle (Cos none of them is even quite right for me) in wich side am i?

------------------
Patti
-Pride Girl-

Originally posted by Patti Jones:
I read today that Powell want to bomb Irak after Afganistan 'cos US does not want that a country that has developed great arms thinks that they dont count on it, or something...wasnt it about terrorism?...

I think you misinterpreted what you read: Powell (along with other U.S. leaders, including Senator Lieberman, D-CT) want to go after Saddam Hussein's Iraqi regime due to the fact that they have developed CHEMICAL weapons, not "great" weapons, although Intelligence fears that he may also have access to "great" weapons of mass destruction. Also, more and more evidence is coming in that Saddam Hussein was in some capacity involved in the 9-11 attacks.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by Patti Jones:
So, as you can see everything the US is doing is making Ossama Bin Laden think that he should stop killing unitedstatians...now he is REALLY scared...that's why he is laughing his fucking ass off in front of your faces. C'mon ppl! (Oups I should not talk, i remembered that im anti US)

Uh, it's not quite our intent to convince ObL to stop attacking us.

I think our intent is to eliminate him.

Speedracer, do you mean that even if you could stop him from attacking again, its still not enough cos the real purpose is to eliminate him?

I didnt think fighting terrorism was to employ proscription tactics.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Speedracer, do you mean that even if you could stop him from attacking again, its still not enough cos the real purpose is to eliminate him?

I didnt think fighting terrorism was to employ proscription tactics.

Having him locked away will suffice, yes. Perhaps I should have said "our real purpose is to eliminate the threat he presents."

The point is that you will never get him locked up by doing what youa re doing. Make some plan how to catch him and don't go on killing civilians. And don't even mention "colateral damage" - that's the sickest expression I ever heard - called it for what it is -plain old murder!
Catch bin laden and kill all the terorists if you ask me - but you are not doing that. The terorists are just a little bit wors than the people who are throwing cluster bombs (forbiden by the Geneva conventions - so you are doing a war crime).
And about the number of people who died in WTC - it's not realy important. It's about the act and not about the numbers. I also read (washington post and some other US newspapers) that the count is much less than they thought in the beggining. That at the end it would come to 2000-3000. The real problem about counting the dead are all the non-Us citizens who worked for foreign firms - it's hard to get all the info about them.

Originally posted by Marko:
And about the number of people who died in WTC - it's not realy important. It's about the act and not about the numbers.
Huh? The numbers aren't important? That many deaths and the numbers aren't important? Thousands of people dead is a lot of people dead. Don't tell me the numbers aren't important.

80's you got me wrong. I didn't say that it doesen't matter. What I meant was that the WTC was a terible terible thing, and it would be terible if there was just 1 dead. My point was that smaller number of killed can not diminish or lessen the monstuocity of the act. It that aspect the number is not important. I hope that I'm clear thi time and that you won't misinterpate me this time.
And I would say that it would be better if the number was smaller then the first estimates. Less civilians dead the better!

Marko (and Crashed),

Are you saying that we shouldn't be bombing Afghanistan, or that we shouldn't be attacking Afghanistan at all? Because I think there are some very good reasons why the Taliban has to go.

One thing that you must consider is what would happen if America and the world did nothing.
but are we just going to keep on bombing Afghanistan until we have figured out what we can do about the taliban thread?

or is there a certain goal we are trying to achieve?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom