Want a vacation, come to a former Communist Prison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]BERLIN (Reuters) - Former political prisoners voiced outrage on Thursday at a German company's scheme to sell tourists an authentic jail experience in what was former Communist East Germany's biggest women's prison.

Thousands of women suffered torture and repression behind the walls of Hoheneck castle, a medieval fort perched on a hill above the town of Stollberg in Saxony, used as a jail for political dissidents from 1950 until 1989.

Now German company Artemis GmbH, which purchased the 12.4-acre estate in 2003, is advertising the chance to spend a night like a prisoner, eating sloppy food and being deprived of sleep in a tiny cell for the price of 100 euros ($122).
[/Q]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=2&u=/nm/20040813/od_nm/odd_germany_jail_dc

That is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. I wonder if it's part of that "ost nostalgie" I've read about.

Although that might not be a bad place for an FYM convention. :hmm:

If they did this with the Nazi's there would be pure hell to pay!:mad:

Of course. But there is a movement in Germany to try and hold on and even memorialize remnants of the former communist regime. That's what ost nostalgie is, "nostalgia for the east." I know, it's weird. Maybe Klaus can shed more light on this.

What people will do for a tourist buck. You know they are not aiming for the locals here.

Although, I find it refreshing the day has finally come when people are willing to PAY to go to prison. :up:

:wink:

There's an olde english prison in Oxford that is or was turned into a luxury hotel. Not quite the same thing, but still.

Yeah, not quite the same. A sick idea for those who actually had to live under that regime. But I can see it here as well, people tend to forget all the suffering and say 'Oh, everyone had a job then', 'Oh, the party gave you a car and holidays'. Sick, sick and disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom