VP Cheney's daughter called a "big Lezzie" at Dean Fund Raiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Overheard at the Dean Fundraising Event:

[Q]HOWARD'S HATEFEST

By DEBORAH ORIN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

December 16, 2003 -- YOU won't be seeing any video of Howard Dean's x-rated, epithet-ridden New York fund-raiser because Team Dean made sure to bar the TV cameras. Which suggests they expected trouble.
Maybe it was the same foresight that inspired Dean to seal his records as Vermont governor for 10 years because of worries, as he put it in a moment of candor to Vermont public radio, about "future political considerations. We didn't want anything embarrassing appearing in the papers at a critical time in any future endeavor."

So there were no TV cameras last Monday night when pro-Dean comics took the stage on West 18th St. in Chelsea at a $250-a-head Dean fund-raiser (reduced from $500) and competed to see how often they could use the F-word in the same sentence.

Comic Judy Gold dissed President Bush as "this piece of living, breathing s---" and Janeane Garofalo ridiculed the Medicare prescription-drug bill that Bush had just signed as the "you can go f--- yourself, Grandma" bill.

Just a few days before, rival John Kerry had used the F-word to attack Bush in Rolling Stone magazine in an apparent bid to sound hip, but Dean's event was "enough to make John Kerry blush," as rival Dick Gephardt's spokesman Erik Smith tartly put it.

And the Dean event got a lot worse. Comedian David Cross used the N-word for blacks in a disjointed "joke" apparently based on the premise that it's fine for a pro-Dean comic to use racial epithets as long as the goal is to claim Republicans are racists.

Comic Kate Clinton evoked Michael Jackson (hit with new child-sex-abuse charges) and said: "Frankly, I'm far more frightened of Condoleezza Rice" - the Bush national security adviser who has nothing in common with Jackson except being black.

Rice seems to drive liberal woman comics especially nuts. Sandra Bernhard insulted her in racial terms with a "Yes Massa" accent at another Dean fundraiser the same night. Perhaps the pro-Dean comics find it unbearable that the most powerful black woman in U.S. history, close friend to the president and his wife - and a brilliant classical pianist to boot - dares to be a Republican.

Actually, there was something to offend everyone. Dean rival Joe Lieberman got ridiculed for being unable to campaign on Jewish holidays because he's Orthodox. Vice President Dick Cheney was accused of talking "like Mary Jo Buttafuoco."

Cheney's wife Lynne was called "Lon Chaney" - the long-ago movie star who specialized in playing ghouls in horror films. And Cheney's daughter Mary, who is gay, was called "a big lezzie."

Even the apolitical "jokes" were ugly - like a suggestion that it's bizarre to see an Asian baby with Asian parents because so many Asian babies are adopted by whites.

As all this hate was getting spewed out, Dean sat backstage listening. Aides say he was fuming, so livid that he almost refused to come out to talk to the crowd. When he did, he began by saying some of the language was "wrong" and "I just don't have much tolerance for ethnic humor." But he didn't refer to all the X-rated anti-Bush and anti-Cheney attacks.

More to the point, he did nothing to stop the hate session. It was, after all, Dean's fund-raiser. He had the power (to use Dean's favorite phrase) to come right out on stage and say the "jokes" were unacceptable and he wanted it stopped, immediately.

That's real leadership. That's what a real straight talker like Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) would do. More to the point, that's what Bill Clinton did in 1992 when he blasted rapper Sister Souljah for anti-white words "filled with hatred."

If there had been TV cameras, it could have been really bad news for Dean. As it was, he got off pretty lightly. The Post reported the story and the Times ran a teensy-weensy account buried on page B-6 of the Metro section.

Republicans are fuming. They say that if anything like this had happened at an event where a top Republican was present and did nothing to stop it, the media would rage about it for weeks.

"It's disgraceful. It's like an Upper West Side Manhattan left-wing Ku Klux Klan mentality," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.). "If some Southern redneck talked like this about a liberal, everyone would denounce it. But because it's Upper West Side humor, somehow it's supposed to be chic."

Deborah Orin is The Post's Washington Bureau Chief. [/Q]

Never mind...you all were right...John Kerry was not that bad,....he had class in comparison.:huh:

The whole thing sounds about as funny as a broken crutch. It's a shame because I love really good political humor, and it's out there dammit. I don't think stuff like this is very funny at all.

No...but I have heard FUNNY comics that are out there who can be heard doing POLITICAL satire.

This is not it!

You want political humor....Mark Russel

Amazing..been watching him on PBS since I was a young boy and not once has he had to swear, call any one the N word or refere to anyone as a Big Lezzie.

And my point is not that comics should be censored....go for it...have fun....but this was a DEAN SPONSORED EVENT.

http://www.markrussell.net/

You can be darned sure....one freaking Republican event like this and this board would be lit up, and I would be there with you very angry and upset.

:mad:

Dreadsox said:
You want political humor....Mark Russel

Amazing..been watching him on PBS since I was a young boy and not once has he had to swear, call any one the N word or refere to anyone as a Big Lezzie.

And my point is not that comics should be censored....go for it...have fun....but this was a DEAN SPONSORED EVENT.

http://www.markrussell.net/

You can be darned sure....one freaking Republican event like this and this board would be lit up, and I would be there with you very angry and upset.

:mad:

I understand where you're coming from. I understand it's a Dean sponsored event. But Dean didn't write the jokes. And I don't believe they should be censored.

Now one can argue if they should have offered restraint, but that would be up to them. They're comics, I'm not saying they are paticularly funny ones(although I like the medicare joke), but these are people who make a living off of crossing the lines.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand where you're coming from. I understand it's a Dean sponsored event. But Dean didn't write the jokes. And I don't believe they should be censored.

Now one can argue if they should have offered restraint, but that would be up to them. They're comics, I'm not saying they are paticularly funny ones(although I like the medicare joke), but these are people who make a living off of crossing the lines.

Crossing the lines for their regular boneheaded fan base is one thing but when they're representing Howard Dean and the democratic party, that's another. Show some class. What does this say about Dean as a potential leader?

Also, democrats should not be defending this behavior, they should be criticizing it as well.

I don't see whay's wrong with all this, the jokes all don't seem to be very funny but then again, this isn't a transcript but mostly the author's interpretation. However, these comedians probably didn't do Dean a favour because a lot of people might take offense and are going to hold Dean responsible. Silly if you ask me, you'd think people would pay some more attention to the serious issues.

I don't find anything "funny" about any of that stuff, and I don't give a hoot whether it's Republicans or Democrats.

There are certain lines of decency that shouldn't be crossed, and that crosses it w/ out a doubt. In my opinion it reflects VERY poorly on the candidate and could almost give the impression that he/she finds this acceptable. If he was "fuming", he should have stopped it, no matter who would have been ticked off or how much $ he would have lost.

:down:

Very disappointing...

If the author has interpreted this in any way, I would still think that the quotes should be accurate. I think it's a serious issue that any candidate would be involved w/ this type of racist, sexist, homophobic "humor".

Last edited:
Its just ignorant, the whole thing. To think that these comedians are supporting Dean with thier "humor" is crazy. And once again, we see more evidence of the hate that is all over the Democratic party. From "hate bush" rallies to things like this. Here is a message, IT DOESNT WORK......
So, the GOP should just sit back and let Deans supporters cut his throat for him with occurences like this. Its sad really....

And to think some ridicule "compassionate conservativism".

If the PC liberals really acted with principles, then they would call for the firing of Dean's campaign manager.

MrsSpringsteen said:
If he was "fuming", he should have stopped it, no matter who would have been ticked off or how much $ he would have lost.

:up:

That would have shown true strength of character.

Elvis Presley said:
Its just ignorant, the whole thing. To think that these comedians are supporting Dean with thier "humor" is crazy. And once again, we see more evidence of the hate that is all over the Democratic party. From "hate bush" rallies to things like this. Here is a message, IT DOESNT WORK......
So, the GOP should just sit back and let Deans supporters cut his throat for him with occurences like this. Its sad really....

I don't think there's a ton of hate in the Democratic party. Rather, it's silence in the face of :censored: like this that reinforces this notion. I don't like it at all. This :censored: doesn't represent me. It's precisely this kind of thing that has me a bit annoyed with the pundits who claim Dean's won the nomination. If he's won the nomination why doesn't he even have a quarter of Democratic votes in the polls? Let's vote dammit. We're stuck with this primary system. We might as well use it.

if some of these comments were made on, say, the daily show... or tough crowd with colin quinn... or on the now off the air politicly incorrect... i might get a chuckle out of 'em and then just write it off. but to have people saying these things at events sponsored by and for candidates is just wrong. al franken went nutso at one of these events a few months back. just another case of idiots and the idiotic idiots who support them :wink:

calm the anger, dems... woooo saaa... serenity now!

verte76 said:
I don't think there's a ton of hate in the Democratic party.

There is as much hate in the Democratic party as there is in the Republican party as there is in any other political organization. They just hate different things.

eh, I can't ever get too worked up about what comedians say regardless of which side they're on. I just find it all pretty dumb but not worth much attention.

This is something that might really derail Dean's campaign.

It really doesnt matter who is the people saying it, he didnt stop it.

But because i wasnt there I cant really say, and the writer of the article does sound a bit bitter. When i see a tape or hear audio then i'll make my decision.

bonoman said:
This is something that might really derail Dean's campaign.

It really doesnt matter who is the people saying it, he didnt stop it.

But because i wasnt there I cant really say, and the writer of the article does sound a bit bitter. When i see a tape or hear audio then i'll make my decision.

I think video was banned from the event, however, although the article is an opinion article, it is based on facts.
And youre right, he didnt stop it, and the media has chosen to not cover it. (media bias?):eyebrow:

also, remember that nobody from Deans camp has denied any of this so far....

Last edited:
wolfwill23 said:

What does this say about Dean as a potential leader?

Also, democrats should not be defending this behavior, they should be criticizing it as well.

It says nothing about him as a potential leader. These are sucessful mainstream comics. What they say doesn't reflect him as a leader.

I'll defend free speech, even if it's something I don't paticularly like. Plus you're reading a biased article with quotes not given in context.

Bono's American Wife said:
:up:

That would have shown true strength of character.

No...it's called being polite. He didn't interrupt them on-stage, probably because he didn't want to make a scene.

Either way, it is apparent that people who hate Dean and the Democratic Party here will find nothing redeemable about either anyway, so should we really be shocked about these convenient "moral outrages" from Bush supporters?

Melon

melon said:

No...it's called being polite. He didn't interrupt them on-stage, probably because he didn't want to make a scene.

Melon, you are a good man, but this is quite a stretch isnt it? While Dean was being "polite" these comedians were the ones making a scene that could have been pre-empted. Can you at least admit that if this were a pro-Bush event with the same results there would be more outrage?

-EP

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well, I'm a Democrat, I don't hate Dean or the Democratic party... I'm NOT a Bush supporter, and I have moral outrage over this

I guess I'm just weird :sexywink:

No you're not. I'm a liberal, I don't hate Dean (I will vote for him if he wins the nomination), I do NOT support Bush, and this pisses me off. It's not good politics.

Back
Top Bottom