Virginity: Cultural conceptions of the sealed vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
This subject has kind of been on my mind recently, and I want to state right off the bat that I would prefer that this thread NOT become a long list of Biblical/Judaic/humanist/whatever ideas on when, why, and how virginity should be lost. I'd like to know if anyone here knows anything about how both our culture(s) and other cultures view virginity, why it has been so highly prized, etc.

If we can all do this, I sure would appreciate it.
wink.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Paxetaurora I was just going to post something about this, actually it's an article I read on honor killings in the Arab world and it disturbed me deeply. I'm looking for it so when I find it I'll put it in a thread for you to read, or at least a link; it's long.

I know the honor killings have a lot to do with traditional values of modesty, and strict interpretations of predominantly the Koran which lead these people to believe they have to brutally murder their own daughters/sisters/wives if they 'stray'.

It's going to be hard to separate religion from the values placed on viginity simply because so many cultures look to their religion for moral guidelines. Anyway, I'll put up the article asap.

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

[This message has been edited by BabyGrace (edited 03-09-2002).]

Virginity is THE archetypal symbol of purity (I suppose nexxt to children). That's where we get it from, it's archetype (which is rather impossible to pinpoint, but I'd say that it goes back to the texts of the major religions).

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

Back
Top Bottom