Virginia Tech commencement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsPurrl

Blue Crack Supplier
Even though I live in Indiana, I'm originally from central Virginia. The Virginia Tech shootings hit pretty close to home, because I have several cousins (and cousins' children) who went there or who have friends there.

There was an article in our local paper today about Virginia Tech's commencement. I really liked what it said about the parents/family of the students who were killed being given class rings and diplomas for their lost ones--very touching!

The article included a picture of a girl who had put the words "WALK ON" on her mortarboard, as well as some three-toed bird (Hokie) tracks.

All good thoughts to the Hokies. :hug:

^ wave

That was me :)

miacap.jpg

I didn't realize you were from VA. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm sending some your way too :hug:

The special degree presentation to the families/friends of the victims was very touching. I couldn't imagine how it must've felt, to be there, and not see your loved one walk across. I was a bit nervous standing in line to go up, because they were at the front of the stage. I even tried avoiding looking at them, because I felt terribly guilty.

But then, I turned my head, and I saw some of them look directly at me and smile. It was the most warming and touching smile. I was glad I made eye contact.

What a great mortarboard.
I hope your commencement was as good as can be considering the circumstances. :hug:

I hope it was a positive experience for the families. Good grief, that's such a sad story. All the best for the Virginia Tech students!

I've been talking to my friends from Tech (other than the lovely Mia) and they've just been overwhelmed by all the attention...the magnitude still hasn't quite hit a lot of them, even when watching their graduation on CNN.

Love the mortarboard Mia, and maybe I'll see you on Saturday :hug:

Congratulations Mia! I know those weren't the kind of circumstances for graduation anyone could feel joyous about, but I'm sure it must be a huge relief for you to just be done. :hug:

And yeah, very cool customized mortarboard. :)

thanks everyone! :hug:

the media onslaught wasn't as bad as i thought. richmond times dispatch asked me my name & degree, so they can cite me in the image above (even though they didn't!!!!!) and then yahoo news took a snap too. i dunno who else did.

and thanks about the mortarboard. after the shootings...and of course once it was definitely confirmed that i could walk (not until 2 weeks ago!!!! my defense was thrown off schedule), i knew exactly what i wanted to put on it. i think it turned out well :)

Laura, I better see you Saturday!!

Last edited:
unico said:
^ wave

That was me :)

miacap.jpg

I didn't realize you were from VA. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm sending some your way too :hug:

The special degree presentation to the families/friends of the victims was very touching. I couldn't imagine how it must've felt, to be there, and not see your loved one walk across. I was a bit nervous standing in line to go up, because they were at the front of the stage. I even tried avoiding looking at them, because I felt terribly guilty.

But then, I turned my head, and I saw some of them look directly at me and smile. It was the most warming and touching smile. I was glad I made eye contact.

When I saw the words on the mortarboard, I wondered if that might be you! The picture was in the Lafayette, IN, "Journal and Courier." If you'd like to have the article, PM me your address and I'll mail it.

Yeah, I was born in Waynesboro, VA, but have lived in Indiana for many years. We go back every summer for my mom's family reunion.

Congratulations, Mia! My heart goes out to you and everyone else there. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom