Video of U.S. pilot bombing apparently unarmed Iraqi civilians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if the claims that these were mearly just civilians can be proven, that is one of the must fucked up things i have ever seen. :ohmy: :mad: :(

i understand that there are good and decent people in our military, but there seems like there's a presence of plenty of shit-for-brains people. what is going on over there??? :sad:

Ah, the joy of videotape out of context. You could make a damning case if that is all you know. But the videotape does not show all the facts.

What you can tell from the tape is that this was a coordinated effort. Command and control is utilized, so this is not a rogue attack by someone with an itchy trigger finger.

Informationclearinghouse is playing to our emotions, they do not seek understanding or truth.

Bunbury said:

Do you have any idea of what falluga was like back in April of this year? Civilians were not casually walking around on the street. In addition, US forces were inside the city and the pilot was most likely responding to a call for an airstrike placed by US forces on the ground inside the city that had verified those that were targeted in the video as insurgents.

It is disgusting that people would accuse American troops of an atrocity based on a video that clearly does not show that those being targeted were civilians.

The United States military DOES NOT TARGET CIVILIANS. If it did, everyone in Falluga could have been killed within 72 hours!

Interesting, we'll see what investigations will show us.

Wouldn't armed individuals seek shelter from an f-16 overhead? Or is it possible that they couldn't see or hear it? Any experts?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Interesting, we'll see what investigations will show us.

Wouldn't armed individuals seek shelter from an f-16 overhead? Or is it possible that they couldn't see or hear it? Any experts?

Considering that there was an ongoing battle going on both civilians and insurgents would have been seeking shelter if they new there was an aircraft nearby. The aircraft here though could have been more than 15,000 feet away. All bombing missions in the Kosovo war were done at altitudes above 15,000 feet. Then you also have to consider that the aircraft is not directly above the target which would put the actual distance even further away.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Video of U.S. pilot bombing apparently unarmed Iraqi civilians

STING2 said:
The United States military DOES NOT TARGET CIVILIANS

Don't be so damn naive.
It' is a war remember???? Information, disinformation, lack of information, hiding information. Propaganda Propaganda Propaganda!!!!
You can't win a war without it. Both sides use and the ones on the side as wel...

Now I'm sure they do not intend to kill the entire people of Iraq. They probably don't even intend to target civilians....but it happens...mistakes happen. You've got quite a stressful situation going on there. It isn't exactly Disneyland.

Now maybe they don't target civilians, could be, but how can you be sure of that???? You can't, because the military lies....and so they should do.

Re: Re: Re: Video of U.S. pilot bombing apparently unarmed Iraqi civilians

Vorsprung said:

Don't be so damn naive.
It' is a war remember???? Information, disinformation, lack of information, hiding information. Propaganda Propaganda Propaganda!!!!
You can't win a war without it. Both sides use and the ones on the side as wel...

Now I'm sure they do not intend to kill the entire people of Iraq. They probably don't even intend to target civilians....but it happens...mistakes happen. You've got quite a stressful situation going on there. It isn't exactly Disneyland.

Now maybe they don't target civilians, could be, but how can you be sure of that???? You can't, because the military lies....and so they should do.

The Military keeps things secret and classified, but THAT IS NOT LYING. The Military does not target civilians! That is absolute rubbish! There is no military benefit from targeting innocent civilians! Such actions could actually hurt military missions as it has the potential to drive neutral civilians and friendly civilians into the arms of the insurgents.

Do accidents happen? Of Course! But that is totally different than targeting civilians. If it was the military's goal to kill civilians, every Iraqi citizen would have been killed long ago.

Accidents happen, whether its US troops firing at insurgents and accidently hitting civilians, or as happened a few days ago when US soldiers accidently fired at each other from across a river.

There is not another military force in the world currently or for that matter ever in history, that works harder to prevent the loss of innocent civilian lives, than the US military!

Oh and if I may qoute you, "don't be so damn naive",
if you believe the US military does target civilians, prove it! In this case the burden of proof is on you.

Last edited:
The US military has certainly targeted civilians in the past. Seems to me that thousands of them knowingly died when we dropped two big fucking atomic bombs on Japan.

on the other hand how do we not know that those weren't a group of terrorists getting ready for a training exercise?

the video was shot at night.

and i do not think in this day and age that the us military target civilians for sport as alledged by some here.

db9

Saying that they do not target civilians for sport is not the same as saying they do not target civilians at all.

I'm perfectly aware that terrorists can pose as civilians, that mistakes can be made, etc., but I also believe, as Vorsprung does, that it would be terribly naive to think that the military has never or does not now target civilians.

And like I said, we know of at least one great big incident in which civilians were, in fact, targeted. :|

well Pax you know that the USA will never use nukes in Iraq.

and if u listen to the pilot's conversation it's like they know or think they are taking out terrorists in that group of ppl walking.

and if they knew they were civilians (which they probably aren't).. do u think they would release the tape of american pilots taking out innocent human beings all over the internet?

db9

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:
The US military has certainly targeted civilians in the past. Seems to me that thousands of them knowingly died when we dropped two big fucking atomic bombs on Japan.

The purpose was not to kill civilians, but to convince the Japanese military and dictatorship to end the war. Dropping the bomb on Japan saved millions of Japanese lives from the devestation that would have happened in an invasion or the continued bombing of the country to prepare for that invasion.

One always hears about the civilians killed by the A-bomb, but never about the 20,000 French civilians killed during the D-Day invasion or the millions of other civilians killed in conventional bombing and fighting.

paxetaurora said:
Saying that they do not target civilians for sport is not the same as saying they do not target civilians at all.

I'm perfectly aware that terrorists can pose as civilians, that mistakes can be made, etc., but I also believe, as Vorsprung does, that it would be terribly naive to think that the military has never or does not now target civilians.

And like I said, we know of at least one great big incident in which civilians were, in fact, targeted. :|

If one is going to be charging the brave men and women of the United States military(including my friends) with crimes, then I believe one had better have solid evidence to back those charges up.

I think it is offensive and incredibly naive to assume that the United States military has a policy of targeting civilians. The assumption is simply false and if one thinks it is not, it is incumbent upon them, out of respect for the brave men and women fighting for freedom in Iraq, to prove their case.

paxetaurora said:

That has been the subject of other threads, but I doubt we can characterize the use of atomic bombs in WWII as "targeting civilians".

We today, of course, expect a substantially higher effort to eliminate or avoid civilian casualties.

nbcrusader said:

That has been the subject of other threads, but I doubt we can characterize the use of atomic bombs in WWII as "targeting civilians".

We today, of course, expect a substantially higher effort to eliminate or avoid civilian casualties.

So what were we targeting?

Look I agree that for the most part the US doesn't "target" civilians. But individuals have been known to target civilians.

This video(I agree it's out of context so I'm not taking a side) is disturbing though. All he says is I have numerous individuals, do you want me to take them out? Once again I'll wait for investigation to conclude context, but there is no clear indication that they know who these people are. And I'm sorry but no matter what, there is always something disturbing to me personally when someone "rejoices"(ah dude) in the killing of another human even if it is terrorists. But like I said this is personal and why I could never be in the service.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So what were we targeting?

Look I agree that for the most part the US doesn't "target" civilians. But individuals have been known to target civilians.

This video(I agree it's out of context so I'm not taking a side) is disturbing though. All he says is I have numerous individuals, do you want me to take them out? .

The title of the thread says they were civilians.
That is suggestive.

If they were known terrorists its's normal for one pilot to say to the other 'do u want me take thake them out'? and 'oh dude' after a target is hit.

Now if he were to start hummimg the Star Spangled Banner after hitting an enemy you may have an issue.;)

db9

Last edited:
Saying that there is no policy of targeting civilians is not the same as saying no civilians are ever targeted.

I am not trying to impugn the service or character of individuals in the Armed Forces. Certainly the vast majority of those individuals are honorable people who wish to do the right things. But the dropping of the atomic bomb was such a massive use of deadly, destructive force that the people who made the decision knew that thousands of civilians would die or be terribly disfigured. Nothing was done to avoid that. We cannot shrug off the blame for those awful deaths.

And I believe that it is the few members of the Armed Forces who actually commit the atrocities, not the people who have the audacity to point them out and demand they be held accountable, who bring dishonor to the rest of the men and women in the Armed Forces. That's like saying that Woodward and Bernstein were responsible for Watergate.

If one believes someone is guilty of atrocities then it is incumbent upon them to prove their case. I think it is wrong to go around saying things about others with no proof to back up their case.

The dropping of the Atomic Bomb was the right course of action, and far more people were killed in coventional bombing of Japanese cities than were killed by the Atomic Bomb.

President Truman not only had to think about the lives that would be killed by the Atomic Bomb, he had to think about the number of people who would die, Japanese and American, if the Bomb was not used. The cost of not using the Atomic Bomb would be over a 100 times greater than its actual use. How would Truman be able to shrug of the deaths of tens of millions of Japanese citizens in a war that would go on for a year or two more, knowing that he had not used his best chance of ending the war early?

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

People can sanitize history all they want.

Truman wanted to kill the "Jap bastards"

He did not mince words.

diamond said:

If they were known terrorists its's normal for one pilot to say to the other 'do u want me take thake them out'? and 'oh dude' after a target is hit.

db9

Yes if they were known terrorists. I hope they were. But like I said earlier the most disturbing part of the video is that he only says "I have numerous individuals" not I have the target. Hopefully the investigation will show us what really happened.

STING2 said:

The dropping of the Atomic Bomb was the right course of action, and far more people were killed in coventional bombing of Japanese cities than were killed by the Atomic Bomb.

You've been watching too many of the debates, for you completely avoided the issue. The issue was not if it was right or wrong, the issue was about targeting civilians. If you don't think dropping the bomb was not a targeting of civilians than you're the one being quite naive.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes if they were known terrorists. I hope they were. But like I said earlier the most disturbing part of the video is that he only says "I have numerous individuals" not I have the target. Hopefully the investigation will show us what really happened.

BVSStar-
I saw this video 6 months ago.
It's old news.

Believe me if there was anything to this fair-minded journalists such as

Dan Rather:yes:
Tom Brokaw:
and
Petey Jennings:
would have been off to the races 6 months ago.

Don't hold your breath for an investigation.:wink:

Peace,
diamond

Last edited:
The question I have is, how many people years later were killed by the conventional bombs.

Back
Top Bottom