Video of Danny Pearl's Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
I dont know whether to be disgusted, horrified or what - but the Boston Phoenix website is linking to the actual video of Danny's murder.

They also have an article explaining why they are showing this, etc. I have read that, and I can understand why they have done it - but I still have not chosen to watch it, and the only way I'll ever see it is by accident. Everytime I even see this poor man's face or hear about him, it truly breaks my heart.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this video - or if they will watch it now that it's available to the public - thoughts?

Isn't it bad enough to watch those planes crash into those building and see the Pentagon on fire...and know people are dying there...::( :( Why????

dream wanderer

It's also easily available for download through various other sources.

SPOILER WARNING!!!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THIS VIDEO ON YOUR OWN!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS VIDEO!

LAST WARNING!!

I watched it and can understand why many think it is fake. There's a scene where one guy is apparently "hacking away" at his neck. But it just doesn't look real. The next scene shows this many holding up Pearl's head - but again, it looks fake.

Regardless, it was greusome video to watch, fake or not. I hope and pray it is fake and Pearl does return home some day. But sadly, it does appear Pearl is dead.

If the video is real, that type of barbarity goes far beyond any wrong-doings the allied forces have done in the current war. Bombing an area where civilians might be killed is tragic. But videotaping a man being purposely decapitized is beyond my comprehension.

doctorwho said:

If the video is real, that type of barbarity goes far beyond any wrong-doings the allied forces have done in the current war. Bombing an area where civilians might be killed is tragic. But videotaping a man being purposely decapitized is beyond my comprehension.

Good point Dr.
The whole point of the allied forces is to extinguish these barbaric "people". They only way to stop them is to eliminate them, and I encourage their extinction.

Unfortunately civilians get caught up in the mess, they can't hardly be warned to get out of the way though. It sucks, and is reason enough to live a good life and pray for peace.

I work for the Wall St. Journal's web site and while most of the people I work with and myself never knew Danny, we deeply felt anguish and disgust over his kidnapping and murder. For that reason alone, I don't want to see the video.

As someone who spent several years in journalism school debating the ethics of running gorey photos or video like this I can honestly say I have no idea why the Boston Phoenix would run it on their site. The editor was quoted as saying he immediately decided to run the video with no reservations. Sorry but a decision like this -- regardless of the outcome -- is not something that should be arrived at so quickly and easily.

The basic question the Boston Phoenix should have asked is: Is this video necessary to tell the story? And for me, the basic answer is no. We know he's dead, we know his wife just gave birth to their son. Do we need to put this family through more hell? To put Danny's collegues through more pain? No.

This was simply a way for the Boston Phoenix to get publicity and say what you want about journalists -- most of them would at least have the decency to actually think long and hard about a decision to run something like that.

doctorwho said:
It's also easily available for download through various other sources.

SPOILER WARNING!!!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THIS VIDEO ON YOUR OWN!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS VIDEO!

LAST WARNING!!

I watched it and can understand why many think it is fake. There's a scene where one guy is apparently "hacking away" at his neck. But it just doesn't look real. The next scene shows this many holding up Pearl's head - but again, it looks fake.

Regardless, it was greusome video to watch, fake or not. I hope and pray it is fake and Pearl does return home some day. But sadly, it does appear Pearl is dead.

I'm going to say that the video (which I haven't seen and don't plan on watching) is fake (which doesn't mean that Daniel Pearl is still alive, though).

What kind of idiot would leave evidence like that lying around?

speedracer said:

I'm going to say that the video (which I haven't seen and don't plan on watching) is fake (which doesn't mean that Daniel Pearl is still alive, though).

What kind of idiot would leave evidence like that lying around?

I believe they delivered or left it purposely for proof of his death to support their "cause" or whatever. Idiots does not even begin to describe these types of dispicable bastards.

LOVE MUSCLE said:

I believe they delivered or left it purposely for proof of his death to support their "cause" or whatever. Idiots does not even begin to describe these types of dispicable bastards.

Uh, my point was that unless those murderers were really clever, investigators could use the tape to track them down (check for fingerprints/hair/etc on the tape or on the package, etc).

and I'm pretty sure they've found Danny's body based on descriptions given to them by suspects.

These guys don't care if they get caught. Their goal is to be convicted and possible put to death for their cause-- whatever sick twisted cause that happens to be.

The idea of watching another man getting murdered is just sickening and serves absolutely no purpose. So the murderers were evil monsters but that doesn't mean that making the tape available to the general public is justified, we could deduct that from the accounts. Enough with the voyeurism! Nobody wants to be videotaped in their last dying moments for the world to see, especially under such horrific circumstances. They should leave the man some diginity, have respect for his family. Yuck, this is like reality tv brought to a whole new disgusting level...

What a sad, sad horrible thing. I wonder if having this video available crosses the line on explotation of a violent crime. There is no need to ever have this available for veiwing- our imaginations are strong enough to understand what he must have suffered, and we do not need to see this violence to offer condolensces to his family and friends, or to build a stronger national alliance or whatever the point was (if there was one!) in making this accessible to people. They should remove the video and offer an apology to his family for putting it up in the first place.

Upon futhur contemplation..I wished I WOULD NOT HAVE watched it now.
Its what Lady L and Olive said.
Furthurly, if I ever bumped into Danny's friends or family how do you think they would look at me, or those that felt it was necessary to view Danny's slaughter?

Sincerely-
diamond
:(

I really don't understand why anyone would choose to view something like this - I mean you know the outcome so it's not because you want to find out how it ends.

What is with this morbid curiousity people seem to have. I just don't understand.

WhackaMole said:
I really don't understand why anyone would choose to view something like this - I mean you know the outcome so it's not because you want to find out how it ends.

What is with this morbid curiousity people seem to have. I just don't understand.

While I feel no need to justify my reasons for viewing the video, I felt compelled to share so that perhaps you can at least partially understand.

I watched the video "scientifically." That is, I was not convinced of the claims of Pearl's death nor the claims of this video. After viewing the footage, I am still unconvinced. If anything, this video gives me more hope that Pearl may still be alive (although, logically and realistically I realize that this is sadly unlikely).

Also, the tape gave me a better insight into understanding the nature of these people. While the tragedy of Sept. 11th was horrendous, this tape - even if it is false - shows how truly desperate these men are. These are not men who care for life in the simplest form. They are just as willing to sacrifice themselves as they are others. Which makes me wonder - what is their ultimate goal? A world with no living creatures?

As for Diamond's comment about encountering Pearl's family (however unlikely that may be), I would not be ashamed of my actions as I felt they were justified.

doctorwho said:

Also, the tape gave me a better insight into understanding the nature of these people. While the tragedy of Sept. 11th was horrendous, this tape - even if it is false - shows how truly desperate these men are. These are not men who care for life in the simplest form. They are just as willing to sacrifice themselves as they are others. Which makes me wonder - what is their ultimate goal? A world with no living creatures?

Doctorwho.. I too viewed this video, There's no reason to even begin to justify.. But you hit the nail directly.. Americans have an extremely short memory.. Which is why I think the videos of the planes crashing into the buildings should be almost Monthly Staples on Prime time Networks.. So we don't forget.. To make all those civil liberty crazys realize the how wrong they are when they Stomp and Pout about Profiling.. and when they are practically disallowing us to Interrogate the terrorists held in Camp X ray.. I hope they try this new bad guy.. Pidallla.. oh. excuse me.. 'Muhajir' by a military tribunal.. but we'll see.. but I think Doctorwho hit this perfectly!

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:

Which is why I think the videos of the planes crashing into the buildings should be almost Monthly Staples on Prime time Networks.. So we don't forget..
L.Unplugged

hahahaa! every month is too long though, how about every day, twice on sunday? but then that's too much and it would 'desensitize' us...hmmm, would having it on every week be a good half way point?
i think this belongs in your douche-tastic thread, if it's not already there.

I agree-- most Americans probably have forgotten about Sept. 11. But as a New Yorker, I live with that hole every day. I don't need to see the video of those planes when I can still remember that day so vividly.

If you want to view the video of Danny's death to try to understand these people, don't waste your time. You never will understand the fucked up logic these terrorists think with and no death is warrarted at their hands whether its one reporter in Pakistan or 3000 people in manhattan.

doctorwho said:

While I feel no need to justify my reasons for viewing the video, I felt compelled to share so that perhaps you can at least partially understand.

I watched the video "scientifically." That is, I was not convinced of the claims of Pearl's death nor the claims of this video. After viewing the footage, I am still unconvinced. y).

Also, the tape gave me a better insight into understanding the nature of these people?

As for Diamond's comment about encountering Pearl's family (however unlikely that may be), I would not be ashamed of my actions as I felt they were justified.

I dunno Doc.
First of all hes remains have been confirmed, so he's dead.:(

Secondly -
put the shoe on the other foot---what if it was your family member that hes final days of his life were being taped? He was being tortured ect..?
Outta of respect for HIS memory and HIS survivors do YOU think this is approiate?
Wouldnt you want people, paticularly strangers NOT to LOOK at your love ones last days of life REGARDLESS of their motives?
Maybe the family only if they chose and proper legal and military personel only would be understandable.
My point is -its about RESPECTING Danny Pearl's memory above all else.
:)
Peace-
diamond

Last edited:
diamond said:

I dunno Doc.
First of all hes remains have been confirmed, so he's dead.:(

Secondly -
put the shoe on the other foot---what if it was your family member that hes final days of his life were being taped? He was being tortured ect..?
Outta of respect for HIS memory and HIS survivors do YOU think this is approiate?
Wouldnt you want people, paticularly strangers NOT to LOOK at your love ones last days of life REGARDLESS of their motives?
Maybe the family only if they chose and proper legal and military personel only would be understandable.
My point is -its about RESPECTING Danny Pearl's memory above all else.
Peace-
diamond

At the time I viewed the footage (and it was on file sharing programs LONG before any Boston newspaper put a link to a web site containing this footage), Danny Pearl's remains had yet to be found. Also, I'm not sure everything his death 100% confirmed. The last I heard, there were CLAIMS that the remains had been found, but I have yet to read true 100% confirmation. That said, sadly, I think he was murdered.

As for the watching the video... Would I want people to watch a tape of one of my family members dying in this fashion?

YES! A 100000x YES!

And if this is offensive to you - then take offense. :madspit:

Why would I want this? Because of what I wrote in my first post above - that by viewing this tape, it helps people realize just how brutal and barbaric these hypocrites are. We cannot and should not take them lightly. The tragedies of Sept. 11th cannot be "packaged away" and remembered the way we remember Pearl Harbor, for there is a VERY strong possibility that these events can happen again. The more people realize that our lives have changed forever, the better.

If watching one of my own family members die by this barbaric events helps save the life of just one reporter who also thought he'd get some "exclusive interview" or makes one complacent person realize that we can never forget Sept. 11th, then I applaud people watching it.

If anything, watching that tape, as barbaric as it is, does honor Pearl. We get to see this handsome, hard-working man forced to say things against his will. And we sadly see him apparently murdered. What was his crime? Why was life brutally taken from him? Because he simply lived in the U.S. No one should die because of where they live. Men may have divided the land, but God created ONE planet.

Danny Pearl, in my eyes, is just as much a hero as those who died on Sept. 11th. That video taught us a lot. It taught us more about these barbaric hypocrites. It taught us never to forget. It taught us to recognize our freedom as a gift, a gift that millions of others do not have. If all you see is a man being killed, then you have learned nothing.

WhackaMole said:

Me neither.

Daniel Pearl's death did, and still does, really, really disturb me. I have no idea why--beyond the obvious, I mean. It goes deeper, somehow. I couldn't even stomach seeing the stills of him while he was kidnapped. It makes me really upset. You couldn't pay me enough to watch that video. :(

doctorwho said:

Danny Pearl, in my eyes, is just as much a hero as those who died on Sept. 11th. That video taught us a lot. It taught us more about these barbaric hypocrites. It taught us never to forget. It taught us to recognize our freedom as a gift, a gift that millions of others do not have. If all you see is a man being killed, then you have learned nothing.

I do see your point but personally I don't think it is necessary to watch that tape to realize these things. I think that most people have already made up their opinion of how disgsuting and barbaric the murderers are without having watch the tape. Also, I value my freedom greatly and every day I think about how lucky I am to live in a country where I have freedom of speech and thought. I just don't need to watch the tape to realize that and I think there are other ways to go about educating people about these facts.

Also, I just can't help but think what Daniel Pearl would have thought of us watching him being decapitated. On the one hand, he was a journalist and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had wanted people to see this, especially given his commitment to his profession. But on the other hand he was also a human being who must have wanted to preserve his dignity and that of his family. I always thought of death as something private that you wouldn't want to share with the rest of the world. Given that he is gone, I think it should be up to his wife and family to decide whether or not they want this to be available for people to watch. Given that they're the ones who knew him best and are in charge of preserving his legacy, they might be better suited to make this decision than we are...

Well I still say no Doc.:mad::(

While Pearl Harbor was on a larger scale and an all assault, full scale war, historically I think this is MUCH different an unacceptable to watch.

Furthurmore now if YOU give THESE subhumans an audience..then perhaps they will try an "up the ante" w/their next victim..maybe slowly torturing..ect as they know they now have an interested audience.
I say-
pay them NO interest or regard..just find them and OBLIDERATE THEM.:yes:

thank you-
diamond:yes:

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to see the video, even if I had the chance to. I think that it is vile and disgusting that people are allowed to see the way a man was murdered.

But on the otherhand, I could see why some people might want to see it. It is human nature to be curious of what happen. But I still think that it is wrong that there is a video out there that show a man getting murder. I can't even imagine what it would be like if his wife or mother or someone that he is related to came across the tape.

lady lemonade said:

I do see your point but personally I don't think it is necessary to watch that tape to realize these things.

Then don't watch the tape.

I stated my reasons for watching it. I wanted to see if this video was fake or not. At the time I viewed it, there was still many questions concerning if it was legitimate.

Now, would I watch it again? No. Would I encourage anyone to watch it? No. Would I put it on my website? No. Would I even store it on my computer? No.

I viewed it to see if it was real, that's it and that's all.

However, after having seen it, I learned a lot. Maybe you don't need this video to realize how barbaric these people are. I did. I never realized that they would stoop THAT low. Now that I know, I have a better understanding of this group of hypocrites. This tape will always prevent me from becoming complacent. And I already see this in others. People want to put Sept. 11th behind them. They want to set up a memorial and go on with life as "normal." While I agree, we must put tragedy behind us, this is not some natural disaster that is a part of life. This is not some freak accident. This is a very real threat - one that could happen again. Pearl's video will keep this fresh in my mind for some time. You might not need to see it to feel this way, but I think most people do.

If this were my family member, would I be offended? I say in all honesty, "no." Now, if someone stole one of my private tapes and put that on the web, I'd be offended. But I don't consider this tape as "private." I consider it something that should be viewed by mature audiences capable of understanding its impact.

I realize that my viewing it for the reasons I cited - and I must admit, I debated about watching it for some time - are probably rather unique. I'm sure the overwhelming number of people who saw this tape did so out of sheer morbid fascination. But since they have viewed it, I also hope they learned something from it. They may have been curious at first, but now I hope that they've learned how horrid these men are and how important it is we stay true to our cause of trying to eliminate terrorism. Eliminating terrorism, by the way, doesn't just mean bombing caves. It also means agreeing with Bono's plans of caring for nations who need help the most. If watching Pearl's tape turned morbid curiosity into a renewed effort to honor those who dies on Sept. 11th tape, then I think it was worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom