Very short breaktime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
1 Are you a good mimic?
2. Are you a chameleon or does most everyone see the same
side of you?
3. What one book would you recommend EVERYONE read. Why?
4. Do you carry a talisman or a symbol representing something
important to you?

1 Are you a good mimic?
As in impersonations, yes, adapting to things... it depends.

side of you?
I honestly don't know.

Their favourite. Sorry if this is a cop out, but I recommend everyone read their favourite and enjoy it one more time. Just because.

important to you?
I do, actually. And I don't really believe in symbols and so on, but I have 3 Chinese coins which are said to bring fortune. I'm not rich, but I've never gone without since acquiring them.

1 Are you a good mimic?

No

side of you?

I don't know either, maybe it depends upon the other person. With some people I am only comfortable showing the same side- sometimes it's most people. I am always the core of me though, I can't stand it when people who change who they fundamentally are for others.

3. What one book would you recommend EVERYONE read. Why? Lucky Man by Michael J Fox. Because he deals honestly with his adversity and shows how and why he turns it into something positive. And he's honest about himself. It's all about attitude and how we have control over that when we have no control over anything else in life.

important to you?

I have some but I don't carry them with me. An Irish worry stone, a cross that belonged to my grandmother, a rosary

1 Are you a good mimic?
no, but I am a good mocker

side of you?
I think the same side, thoguh I do adjust my language and body language and stuff when I'm in different settings, but if it's people I'm friends with or trying to make friends with I think I present the same me.

A Thousand Splendid Suns. Such a great book, it made me laugh and cry and really gives an understanding of what it is like in Afghanistan.

important to you?
No. I usually wear my white one bracelet, both because I'm going into a career in post-conflict development in Africa and because it reminds me of the Vertigo shows I went to. I wear an intricate silver chain with nothing on it that I got for my bat mitzvah, and I wear a ring that this group of friends all got when we were 12 even though I'm out of touch with most of them now.

1. Are you a good mimic?

no

side of you?

Pretty much everyone sees my "public" side, but not everyone sees every aspect of that public side. Each person or group gets a little different version of me. I wouldn't call that chameleon-like though.

The Complete Far Side. Because everything you need to know is in there.

important to you?

no

I can mimic writing; other than that......no.
I have different sides I show to different people. I often appear
to be an open book, but I'm not at all. Maybe to one or two
people. Otherwise, I'm skillfully guarded.
I have no answer to my own question. I have no idea what book
I would recommend.
I do not carry a talisman, but I carry things to keep me mindful
of things that are important to me.

1. Are you a good mimic?
Yes. In fact, it's almost a compulsion for me to mimic someone's voice when I'm recounting something they said, and I often have to remind myself not to do it, because in some situations that can come across as if you're mocking them when that wasn't your intent. I'm good at mimicking writing style and facial expressions as well.
2. Are you a chameleon or does most everyone see the same side of you?
I'm somewhat chameleon-like in terms of adapting the style and content of what I say to who I'm talking to, but not in any studied or deliberate way. E.g., when I go back to Mississippi for a visit I switch to working-class-rural-Southerner mode, when I'm in India I automatically start using Indian body language and nonword utterances, when I'm talking to someone blunt I become more blunt, etc. I'm generally lousy at hiding my feelings though, particularly if I'm anxious or annoyed. I don't really think my basic personality comes across all that differently in any case.
I don't know that there's any one book "everyone" needs to read. It sounds trite, but the things that really matter aren't best learned from a book anyway. I did like indra's answer though. :D
4. Do you carry a talisman or a symbol representing something important to you?
Other than my wedding ring, which probably doesn't really "count," no.

1 Are you a good mimic?

Not really.

side of you?

Depends, I'm definitely more comfortable around some more than others, but I don't think that constitutes being a chameleon, per se. Generally I think most see the same side of me. :shrug:

There is no one book that holds any kind of "secret of the universe". I would recommend they read what's meant most to them.

important to you?

No.

1 Are you a good mimic?
I think so...I can immitate singing styles to an extent. Also sometimes when I'm around Irish or British I tend to mimic their accents...I don't know why it just comes out.

Well, that depends. Right now I'm trying to channel some chameleon energy. It is really hard to see myself as a professional and draw that line with my students, especially the ones who are my age or older. Also when I'm around my friends I try and change mannerisms or behavior a bit because I know what makes them uncomfortable. I think everyone though gets the general idea of who/what I am.

Any collection of Hafiz poems really. Preferably pocket sized so once can carry it around and reference it at any time for some spontaneous nuggets of joy.

4. Do you carry a talisman or a symbol representing something important to you?
No...most important things are kept in my heart.

BonosSaint said:
1 Are you a good mimic?
side of you?
important to you?

1. No

2. Yes

3. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman

4. No, but I prefer to have my dog with me wherever I go

1. No, I don't think so.... but my brother is - he's hilarious :lol:

2. I wouldn't go as far to say I'm a chameleon... but I think I've surprised a few people when I unleash my more crazy & impulsive side!

3. One of the best books that I've read in the past while is 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts, an epic tale that only took me 2 or 3 days to read. Laughed and cried in equal doses! I also love 'Siddhartha' by Herman Hesse. It's one of my favourite books ever.

4. I kind of have a thing for crystals.. I have some favourite crystal beads that I wear almost all the time - and I carry a smoky quartz crystal around in my bag/purse.

:)

TranceEnding said:

One of the best books that I've read in the past while is 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts, an epic tale that only took me 2 or 3 days to read.
:)

Loved Shantaram. I stretched it out over several days deliberately.

Back
Top Bottom