Vatican asks Muslims to work for peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Vatican asks Muslims to work for peace

VATICAN CITY (AP) - The Vatican urged Muslims on Thursday to reject violence, work with Christians for peace and to teach their young to love and respect all people and not become "cultural or religious blocs opposed to one another." The Vatican's top official in charge of relations with Muslims, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, issued the Vatican's traditional message to Muslims to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

In it, he urged the Muslim faithful to enter into a dialogue with Christians to "help us to escape from the endless spiral of conflict and multiple tensions which mark our societies." It was the most pointed appeal to Muslims from Tauran, who was named in June to head the newly reopened Vatican office that specializes in relations with Muslims, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.

verte76 said:

The Vatican wants peace. Do the Muslims? I think most of them do. It's the extremists who don't.
Thank you. We do want peace. The most desperate among us, as in the Palestinian occupied territories would like peace on fair terms. Often Muslims are asked to work for peace, while Western states and Israel continue their state tools of "violence" of sanctions, enforcement of unjust laws or biased enforcement of just ones, not to mention war and torture and abuse.

The Iraq War and especially the occupation have been a massively violent and unjust way of converting a nation of Muslims to their way of life on their terms, so they could exploit their oil. Even Alan Greenspan thinks oil was the main reason.

I'd like to ask the Pope if he's willing to chastise state oppression as well, or if it's just another opportunity to condescend to non-Christians.

verte76 said:
In it, he urged the Muslim faithful to enter into a dialogue with Christians to "help us to escape from the endless spiral of conflict and multiple tensions which mark our societies."

newsflash to pope: many christians aren't exactly a shining example of peace.

perhaps i'm misinterpreting, but the way i read this the pope comes off with a "better than thou" attitude. like the only conflicts today are among muslim societies.

Muldfeld said:

Thank you. We do want peace. The most desperate among us, as in the Palestinian occupied territories would like peace on fair terms. Often Muslims are asked to work for peace, while Western states and Israel continue their state tools of "violence" of sanctions, enforcement of unjust laws or biased enforcement of just ones, not to mention war and torture and abuse.

The Iraq War and especially the occupation have been a massively violent and unjust way of converting a nation of Muslims to their way of life on their terms, so they could exploit their oil. Even Alan Greenspan thinks oil was the main reason.

I'd like to ask the Pope if he's willing to chastise state oppression as well, or if it's just another opportunity to condescend to non-Christians.

I opposed the Iraq war. I still do. And I don't like Israeli policies towards the Palestininans. The Iraqi war was all about oil and money for Dick Cheney's pocketbook. It has been a great waste of human life. Where are you from?

Re: Re: Vatican asks Muslims to work for peace

unico said:

newsflash to pope: many christians aren't exactly a shining example of peace.

perhaps i'm misinterpreting, but the way i read this the pope comes off with a "better than thou" attitude. like the only conflicts today are among muslim societies.

You're misinterpreting

"Societies" is plural

"our" would imply the Christian society is included in that group

Sheesh, can't even call for peace these days..........

Re: Re: Re: Vatican asks Muslims to work for peace

toscano said:

You're misinterpreting

"Societies" is plural

"our" would imply the Christian society is included in that group

Sheesh, can't even call for peace these days..........

chill. you obviously read the first part of my post so why not quote it? fuck me for having a different perspective or interpretation.

can't even have an opinion these days.....

where do i send my check so i can start living in your head and read things the "right" way forever and ever?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Vatican asks Muslims to work for peace

unico said:

chill. you obviously read the first part of my post so why not quote it?

Because I had no quibble with it

unico said:

" fuck me for having a different perspective or interpretation.

can't even have an opinion these days.....

where do i send my check so i can start living in your head and read things the "right" way forever and ever?

If you want to take plain English with a logical unequivocal meaning and twist it around so you can use it to create a straw man, knock yourself out

Back
Top Bottom