Vacation time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm going to have to take a short break from FYM while I sort out some personal issues. I've had a tough time lately; a friend of mine was killed in a car accident in June, I've had shingles and now Post Herpetic Neuralgia, which causes depression, among other things. The doctor said this was caused by the stress of me losing my friend. My mother recently had a stroke, which scared the :censored: out of me. And just yesterday I found out that one of my best friends has malignant melanoma. Ouch! I think her prognosis is quite good but I really don't know. This is very treatable. It might not be inappropriate for me to recall that Senator McCain kicked his malignant melanoma in the ass. Of course unfortunately Maureen Reagan did not. So I'm worried about her. I'm an autistic and this makes all of this stuff really hard to deal with. Quite frankly I feel burned out on politics. I knew this would happen at least once during a f:censored:g eight-month long campaign. This is ridiculous! I think the old ways were better, when the candidates were chosen at the conventions, and the campaigns were shorter. I think the electorate as a whole probably agrees with me, no matter who they are supporting. By Election Day we could have major political burn-out on a massive scale. I am not, I repeat, not quitting FYM. I'm just going to take a break. I will be back when I've gotten some of these issues worked out. I'm confident I can get them worked out and be back soon.

Last edited:
Take care verte. I'm so sorry all of these bad things have been happening to you. I hope things start looking up for you soon and you come back to FYM. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.

:hug: I'm not sure that I have anything all that helpful to say, but I hope things get better for you soon, verte. Forget about politics for a few weeks, it'll still be there when you've had chance to deal with everything else going on in your life. Take care of yourself and don't stay away from FYM for too long. :)

Well thank God I have an appointment with my therapist this afternoon. I know she will help me alot. Right now quite frankly things are a bit of a mess. The good news is that we can clean up this mess, but it most likely won't happen overnight. It will take work. That's OK, I've been through these scrapes before. My patron saint, St. Jude, has gotten me through some really tough times, and I'm sure he'll do it again. I e-mailed a prayer request to the Shrine of St. Jude in Chicago last night. I know that will help. I am blessed to have this support in my life, and I know everything will be OK. Thanks everyone, I love ya!

Good idea, verte. Take a breather, get all the stuff sorted out that's going on right now, focus on those who need your attention right now. Take all the time you need.

We'll sure miss ya, though :hug:. And again, I really hope everything starts looking up for you and those who are ill. :).

See you around :wave:.

Angela

Thanks everyone. I just saw a reminder of why I need a break. I just saw on my ISP's home page that the terrorists have killed a Turkish hostage. Good Lord, is this :censored: ever going to stop? I just hate it that this has to happen to anyone. I think I'm temporarily going to change my home page so I can have a break from all of these killings and stuff. I want Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" or something as my home page for awhile anyway. He's my favorite artist.

Last edited:
Oh, Scarletwine, I'll do PLEBA. That's not stressful. I admit that I find politics incredibly stressful. I like the ideas side of politics alot. I hate the "my opponent is a crud" side to it, the mentality that you've got to screw someone. I think there is too much of this on both sides, to be perfectly honest, and it bums me out. Political history wasn't even my favorite kind of history. Social history, the study of what people wore, ate, how they worshipped, etc, etc, is alot more interesting to me. That's a theme you'll find in alot of re-enactment societies. Many people in my group actually hate political history and are strictly into social history. I do strongly believe I should vote. The problem is, this can be really hard because I find politics so damned stressful. I wish I didn't.

Thanks everyone! I just came back from my therapist. She told me to take a break from politics and the news, to paint, go to mass, and watch my favorite skaters. I agree with her. To be perfectly honest, politics is stressing me out because it's such an intense campaign, on both sides. I can't remember an election that was this intense, and that's one thing that makes this election so unusual. You don't want to know how long I've been voting in elections, either. :lmao: Combined with all of the other stressful things that have been going on, it's too much. I know who I want to vote for, and that's all that I can do. It's a situation that's beyond my control, and I need to chill out. I'll be back, and yes, Fizz, do keep the :censored: smilie for me! I predict I'll be using it often enough!

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Oh, Scarletwine, I'll do PLEBA. That's not stressful. I admit that I find politics incredibly stressful. I like the ideas side of politics alot. I hate the "my opponent is a crud" side to it, the mentality that you've got to screw someone. I think there is too much of this on both sides, to be perfectly honest, and it bums me out. Political history wasn't even my favorite kind of history. Social history, the study of what people wore, ate, how they worshipped, etc, etc, is alot more interesting to me. That's a theme you'll find in alot of re-enactment societies. Many people in my group actually hate political history and are strictly into social history. I do strongly believe I should vote. The problem is, this can be really hard because I find politics so damned stressful. I wish I didn't.

verte, I totally understand because I find politics stressful too. I've got a lot of stuff going on personally too and I don't think my recent posting has been helping. Just reading without responding is much less stressful. :)

One of the issues I'm trying to work on is to organize my thoughts on paper, so posting is good for me to grow that way - but overall it might be doing more harm than good right now. I just might follow your lead until I'm in a better place.

:hug: Prayers & best wishes to you.

Yeah, this stuff can be really upsetting, and to me there has never been a campaign like this. It's so intense and emotional. It's unusual in that so many people have already decided who they are voting for. Usually people are just unpacking after their summer vacations or starting back to school or whatever, and haven't started to follow the campaign. This year 90% of the electorate knows who they want to vote for, rare this early in the campaign. This usually isn't true until October or so. Man, give me figure skaters, medieval costumes and art supplies!

Good luck Verte. I'm sure this break will be very helpful to you. On a side note, good idea to always look at Liberty Leading the People. One of my all time faves. For a short vacation you should come here to the Museum Capital of the Southwest. A brand new building designed by Tadao Ando for the Modern Art Museum, the Kimbell Art Museum with its wonderful Baroque Collection and world class touring exhibits (right now I think it is one called From Caravaggio to Dali), and the Amon Carter Museum with its great collection of American and Western Art (lots of Remingtons and Russells). SOrry for that shameless plug:wink: ANyway, we will all be missing and praying for you.

Thanks everyone! Ft. Worth Frog, thanks for being a fellow Delacroix fan! I'm fortunate enough to have seen the Delacroix Room in the Louvre. It's amazing. I once (sort of) tried to rip off "Liberty Leading the People". :reject: This, of course, was pretty ridiculous as I can only wish I had half that guy's talent. I went to mass, the priest gave me the Sacrament for the Sick, and I feel better, although still not exactly great. I can't expect that. I think there is a time for politics and a time for other things. Art is very therapeutic; in fact, our studio is for autistics, who think in visual rather than verbal terms. It was founded by two local businesswomen as a non-profit organization to help us. We get to work there, and have shows, and sell our paintings and ceramics, and it's a great help to our self-image. The studio also teaches autistic children, and tries to help them learn the right things to keep them out of trouble with drugs and this sort of thing. So I'll definitely be back, but I've got to deal with some of these issues first. I need, quite frankly, to say f:censored:k politics for right now. I will be voting and I think that's the important thing. I want people to vote. I'm not going to tell anyone what do to with their vote.

Hey verte, I know I hardly post anywhere in Interference (FYM is the primary place I lurk, smart people, great debates, and civility even when there's disagreement - something that is seldom found elsewhere) but I really enjoy what you have to say, and especially appreciate the angles you take when tackling a discussion. Even if you don't agree with someone, you are able to see why those who disagree feel the way they do. You try to find common ground. And never have I seen you spout a disparaging remark toward any FYMer, no matter what. And I think that is why you are so respected and loved here, and why your absense will be felt.

I will miss you with your gentle ways, your trademark :censored: smiley and most of all, the intelligence and caring thoughtfulness you put into your posts.

I hope everything works out for you and in the near future, find yourself in a better place. Take care, and paint more - you know it's good for the soul. God bless.

Thanks adam's mistress! I'll get my act together with the help of my therapist and priest, and of course God and my patron saint. Then I'll come back. I need to get over all of this stressful :censored: in my life and then I'll come back.

Back
Top Bottom