US Presidential Election XII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of dodging you never responded to my comments on Trumps speech on page 20. Where you claimed the only policy presented in Trumps Wisconsin speech was increased law enforcement.

The Byrd video was a coincidental choice because in the video he says white n*ggers twice. Thought it was fitting for the phone call the poster received

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I had to go back and look. So he touched on merit pay for teachers (without going into ANY detail) and charter schools (again without going into ANY detail). That's not policy.

With regards to both of those, it would be nice to see him actually have some recognized experts in the education field on his team. Merit pay sounds nice, but there are several studies that have been done that show that it doesn't actually produce better results for the students, and that it doesn't necessarily lead to the attraction and retention of better teachers, either.

As for charter schools, I don't see how Trump's comments mark a marked difference from Clinton, who has also expressed support for charter schools (though she has also expressed opposition to for-profit charters, whereas I get the feeling Trump wouldn't have those same reservations).

But this is all pretending like Trump is making an honest attempt at coming up with solutions for the African American community. Which he's not, otherwise he'd be engaging directly with those communities, instead of speaking about them from the comfort of white suburbs, and holding invitation-only gatherings (where it's much easier to ensure a friendly reception and control the narrative) instead of asking to meet with any of the major national African American organizations.

Honestly you won't get better service anywhere than in the US. OK, maybe if you are talking about super exclusive 5+ star types of resorts or Michelin star restaurants internationally but generally speaking the US service is second to none. I always tell my American friends that they should be so happy with what they have, even just crossing the border to Canada you see a difference. Nevermind the difference you see in Europe and elsewhere.

What always has bothered me in the US service/retail industry is that every time we have been to Florida, which is very often, probably annually on average, we've seen elderly people, like 70 or 80+ bagging groceries. I find that to be so unseemly and disturbing and it's something you would NEVER see at home anywhere. Really sad.

If the tipping culture were to be eliminated, the entire restaurant industry would be wiped out in a second.
yeah umm when i lived in nz i was still able to go out to restaurants, sit-down restaurants i mean, that had waitstaff. there's freaking denny's there even. there's plenty of restaurants in europe too.

Restaurants literally force their customers
how would one figuratively force someone?

What grates waiters over here is when they get a table of internationals who feign ignorance of the tipping culture here. Like they've never read a guide book. My friend still talks about a big table of Icelandic women who ran up a $790 bill and left $800.
true. like when i was going over to europe, it was pretty easy to find out the differences in how things work at restaurants over there, such as the slower pace. if you want your check any time soon, better ask for it when you're brought your food.

to be fair though, your friend probably should've exercised the rule most restaurants have about automatic tipping on parties over eight (assuming it was at least this many) people. i see that on most menus here in the states yet i hear this as a common complaint (not even just when international tourists dine there but cheapskate americans). yes obviously people need to tip and it's on them but i'm always left baffled why the servers expect people not to be jerks. maybe i'm just a pessimist. if i were a server, i'd be hitting that auto-gratuity option every time the restaurant said i could, because i know how dickish people can be.

donaldtrumpdoctorletter.png

barack-obama-on-beach-in-hawaii-3.jpg
a2b62d_7573d7b509e2483a8d7e94997c37ba23.jpg

Don't worry, Whatever the problem is Trump will fix it.

Feels like an eternity till the debates.

But this is all pretending like Trump is making an honest attempt at coming up with solutions for the African American community. Which he's not, otherwise he'd be engaging directly with those communities, instead of speaking about them from the comfort of white suburbs, and holding invitation-only gatherings (where it's much easier to ensure a friendly reception and control the narrative) instead of asking to meet with any of the major national African American organizations.

Yeah, I spoke to my friend last weekend; he's a friend of mine from Chicago, a biracial minister that does a lot of work with inner city communities. He was telling me that the communities there don't just dislike him like they do most Republican candidates but they actually fear and loathe him.

He was telling me that the response to that speech was one of disgust rather than a "ok let's give him a shot". It was an already dog whistle blower getting up in front of white bread America saying "you're uneducated, you're violent, but I know how to fix you", without even a veiled attempt to pretend to talk to the communities to see what they need, what they want. It was a feined attempt to act like he cared all along the same time reiterating to white suburbia that they're violent uneducated people but we know how to fix them.

Stein or Johnson win on seasoned citizen physique.

I'd rather not see unflattering pics of either major candidate, DaveyC :eeklaugh:

bruh, rack's jacked in that pic. maybe a few wrist curls and some situps, dude but odder'nat brosif he's lit, legit. ladies be mirin, son.

when you're the leader of the free world it's hard to get super swole, broheim.

Last edited:
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said she is alarmed by developments in Bahrain and criticised the government's use of force against protesters.

Asked about violence in Bahrain, Mrs Clinton said: "We deplore the use of force against demonstrators, and we deplore the use of force by demonstrators. We want a peaceful resolution."
Hillary Clinton condemns Bahrain violence - BBC News

Hey, maybe I was wrong here, maybe Clinton's not so bad after al--

Crown Prince Salman, who had recently been named the deputy supreme commander of Bahrain’s armed forces . . . has directed $32 million to a Clinton Foundation program, and the Kingdom of Bahrain has donated up to $100,000 more. As Bahrain money flowed into the Clinton Foundation, State Department documents showed that between 2010 and 2012 the Clinton-led State Department approved $630 million worth of direct commercial arms sales to Salman’s military forces in Bahrain. That was a 187 percent increase from the period 2006 to 2008, and the increase came as Bahrain was violently suppressing uprisings.
http://www.ibtimes.com/political-ca...reached-out-hillary-clinton-arms-export-boost

This is actually just hilarious to me at this point

But hey, we do have congress, what the hell were they up to??? Guess this is just normal politi--

At the time of the armored vehicle proposal, Foreign Policy magazine reported that Clinton’s department “has not released details of the new sale, and Congress has not been notified through the regular process”; instead, the State Department “simply briefed a few congressional offices and is going ahead with the new sale, arguing it didn’t meet the threshold that would require more formal notifications and a public explanation.”

Oh

Last edited:
All of that and she's still better than Trump

Ugh, a tipping conversation.

ru4p5134awogc9wldjrz_zpswncqexjq.gif

I'm honest to God getting so fed up with tipping. It's one thing at restaurants, that's clearly a lost cause, but why has it started to branch out to EVERYTHING else? I'm so sick of seeing tip jars everywhere I go. I'm a pretty fucking nice person in general, but the idea of needing to give every person who provides a service for me an extra buck or two for every purchase I've made is getting beyond absurd.

I'm honest to God getting so fed up with tipping. It's one thing at restaurants, that's clearly a lost cause, but why has it started to branch out to EVERYTHING else? I'm so sick of seeing tip jars everywhere I go. I'm a pretty fucking nice person in general, but the idea of needing to give every person who provides a service for me an extra buck or two for every purchase I've made is getting beyond absurd.

What's really annoying is those little iPad looking credit card processing machines you see at a bunch of small businesses. Where they swipe your card and you sign and it prompts you for a tip... except you didn't receive a service that you traditionally tip on. Someone made you a coffee or something, and you feel awkwardly guilty for clicking the "No Tip" button instead of one of the suggested percentages.

i am normally pretty generous with tipping, but i draw the line at the chinese buffet i go to. especially when i get something to go because i'm handed a container and get the food myself. if i'm sitting down at least they're bringing me drinks but that's like $1 of service. but to go, it's none. i don't feel guilty anymore not tipping then.

i also got promoted to tip when i bought a cupcake somewhere, geez. that time i only did because it was a special event and in retrospect i probably shouldn't have because they were making more money than they would've otherwise, i'm sure. why should i tip you to put a cupcake you already made on a plate? this is indicative that the service industry is way underpaid imo. everyone is.

She's fine.

And I'm sure the Republicans will investigate AGAIN and still not find anything really wrong.

Do you think this is conjecture?

BEAL's argument, I can understand. I might even agree with that on most days. But to simply pretend this is some wild goose chase is to reject reality

Last edited:
What's really annoying is those little iPad looking credit card processing machines you see at a bunch of small businesses. Where they swipe your card and you sign and it prompts you for a tip... except you didn't receive a service that you traditionally tip on. Someone made you a coffee or something, and you feel awkwardly guilty for clicking the "No Tip" button instead of one of the suggested percentages.

Hell yes. In coffee shops everywhere, now. I hate that screen.

It's the transactional aspect of tipping that really bothers me. People pretend it's a way for customers to get better service, but that's simply not true. I have seen no measurable difference in service between tip included and tip not included places, or between US, Europe or South America. Everywhere, service will depend on the managerial culture of the restaurant, and on individual differences. Not on tipping. Plus, the evil side of tipping is that it makes the front-of-house staff well paid, while cooks and kitchen staff have to live on horrible salaries. Danny Meyer and others have started a no-tip movement in NYC recently, and I really hope it sticks.

Hell yes. In coffee shops everywhere, now. I hate that screen.

It's the transactional aspect of tipping that really bothers me. People pretend it's a way for customers to get better service, but that's simply not true. I have seen no measurable difference in service between tip included and tip not included places, or between US, Europe or South America. Everywhere, service will depend on the managerial culture of the restaurant, and on individual differences. Not on tipping. Plus, the evil side of tipping is that it makes the front-of-house staff well paid, while cooks and kitchen staff have to live on horrible salaries. Danny Meyer and others have started a no-tip movement in NYC recently, and I really hope it sticks.
The coffee place by the east river ferry has switched from having the option to give a tip on top of the signature to having the tip screen come up before the signature screen, which is just utter bullshit.

All of that and she's still better than Trump

And thus sums up this election, and how utterly stupid the Republicans were to not rally around a single candidate early, allowing this mutant to highjack a nomination that was probably going to be there's to take.

Oh, and yea I'd still vote for Hillary over Saint Bernie any day of the week as well, before THAT while thing inevitably starts again.

In serious Republican candidate news:

Rick Perry will be on 'Dancing with the Stars'.

So after November we may have two Republican candidates on reality TV this fall.

How lovely :|

donaldtrumpdoctorletter.png

barack-obama-on-beach-in-hawaii-3.jpg
a2b62d_7573d7b509e2483a8d7e94997c37ba23.jpg

After seeing Rachel Maddow show the expanded video of the interview with the doctor last night. It is quite clear that the doctor either did not write any of the letter, or was given large pieces of what to put in the letter by the Trump campaign.
He was asked directly if Trump had written the letter or assisted in writing the letter. He smiled and looked down, didn't answer. Kinda gave a knowing look - and his, also very odd, wife jumped in and said - Dr. Bornstein wrote that letter. He wrote it, and its enough. You could tell that she was not being truthful.
He then said something that seemed to be missed even by Maddow. "I wrote it while i had a friend sitting in front of me smiling, to be honest"
I'm guessing the friend was either Trump or a campaign person, telling him what to write.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, if the media actually does their job and digs into it to find out the truth.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, if the media actually does their job and digs into it to find out the truth.

They won't.

But it's entertaining in a shitstorm kind of way. I mean the letter itself is entertaining, but how adamant the right is about trying to find health issues with Clinton that they create a conspiracy around a flashlight, yet they're just going to let this slide.

They won't.

But it's entertaining in a shitstorm kind of way. I mean the letter itself is entertaining, but how adamant the right is about trying to find health issues with Clinton that they create a conspiracy around a flashlight, yet they're just going to let this slide.

But remember - A donor to the Clinton Foundation asked a Clinton aide to be seated at John Kerry's table at a dinner. A request that was not fulfilled. So clearly, she is selling arms on the black market to hostile countries.

Do you think this is conjecture?

BEAL's argument, I can understand. I might even agree with that on most days. But to simply pretend this is some wild goose chase is to reject reality

Yeah, because if this was a real scandal that was somehow outside the norm for arms deals, the Ted Cruz(s) of Congress would be keeping quiet?

Reality?

And thus sums up this election, and how utterly stupid the Republicans were to not rally around a single candidate early, allowing this mutant to highjack a nomination that was probably going to be there's to take.

Oh, and yea I'd still vote for Hillary over Saint Bernie any day of the week as well, before THAT while thing inevitably starts again.

I don't know Hillary personally. Her public persona isn't really that appealing. She doesn't have the best speaking voice, and when she tries to act with more joyous emotion, it does come off as fake. She's just a nerdy introvert who's had her entire life out in the public.

I feel for her because of what she has gone through. To have a very messy, disgusting marriage crisis played out for all the world to see, how utterly embarrassing and frightening. To have one side of Congress continually go after you, accusation after accusation, well that would make anyone appear unlikable and jaded.

She is the way she is because of the past 25-30 years in the public eye. She probably comes off as mysterious and evil because she knows whatever she does, or says will get turned into a conspiracy.

Even the bad legislation, mistakes in policy that should be debated end up turning into something more sinister that I become numb to, and even just stop caring.

I don't think we need a pity party for her. She chose this life, and it's how our society has evolved (sadly). I just think some perspective, and empathy towards her goes a long way. I don't think she's evil. I just think she's jaded and been tossed into the shit storm too many times.

She has qualifications. She has faults. Instead of discussing these positions, her ideas. We talk about her "hit squad", "emails", and if she's on her death bed.

Despite all of this, she's still 100000000000000000000000000x better candidate than Donald Trump. The GOP had a chance this election. Her faults or not, Hillary is a flawed candidate. Unlikable to many. Yet the GOP went with a man who is even MORE unlikable. Who'll end up with the lowest voter turnout for women and minorities ever.

The "unlikable" piece shouldn't matter at all. She could have the most despicable personality in the world - what does it matter as long as she protects the US economy and promotes equity and safety for US citizens?

The "unlikable" piece shouldn't matter at all. She could have the most despicable personality in the world - what does it matter as long as she protects the US economy and promotes equity and safety for US citizens?

Nothing I have seen of her shows me she'll be any different than Obama in that regard. I see social issues continuing to progress, while the economy will be about the same with her.

I don't see her being more Hawkish than Obama. She'll continue to drone, but don't see us invading anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom