US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want to keep arch conservatives off the Supreme Court and not get ourselves into any more stupid wars in the Middle East (or elsewhere) we need a Democrat who can win. Winning is everything.

So far, Sanders has not shown he can reach out and speak to blacks and Hispanics and get them to turn out on Election Day. Democrats need those votes to win, just as the GOP needs evangelicals to win. We know the Clinton machine can turn them out. Bernie may prove he can do this, and that would be great. But so far, while I understand his great appeal, he seems like a familiar white progressive candidate who progressive whites get excited about early in the primaries (Bill Bradley, Howard Dean) but who can't perform when it comes down to getting votes.

As of today, I would choose HRC over Sanders for this reason, even if I might prefer many of Bernie's actual positions and policies.

This sums it up for me as well.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

That is what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy - liking Sanders, preferring Sanders, but voting for Clinton because you don't think people will vote for Sanders.

People need to get their shit together - Bernie Sanders is REAL. There is ZERO BS there. He will DEMAND things of Congress that corrupt / bought off presidents won't.

Bernie would be the best choice for blacks and Hispanics...for all of us.

The American people need to get it together.

I think they will learn more about him as this thing closes in - I think Bernie's numbers are better now than Obama's were at this time in 2007.

PS - Bernie's no bull style gets him quite a few Republican / conservative votes...and I heard he is doing better than Hillary in swing states - the few states that decide who wins.

We need to make him our candidate in the primaries - then fall back on Hillary for the general if the American people fail to recognize a good decent candidate when they see one.

Last edited:
That is what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy - liking Sanders, preferring Sanders, but voting for Clinton because you don't think people will vote for Sanders.

People need to get their shit together - Bernie Sanders is REAL. There is ZERO BS there. He will DEMAND things of Congress that corrupt / bought off presidents won't.

Bernie would be the best choice for blacks and Hispanics...for all of us.

The American people need to get it together.

I think they will learn more about him as this thing closes in - I think Bernie's numbers are better now than Obama's were at this time in 2007.

PS - Bernie's no bull style gets him quite a few Republican / conservative votes...and I heard he is doing better than Hillary in swing states - the few states that decide who wins.

We need to make him our candidate in the primaries - then fall back on Hillary for the general if the American people fail to recognize a good decent candidate when they see one.

I've seen this movie before, when it was called Bill Bradley. And the sequel when it was called Howard Dean. All were remakes of the 1972 movie George McGovern.

The Obama 2008 campaign was a potentially once-in-a-lifetime political phenomenon, and he just barely beat Clinton in the primaries.

I'm glad you like Bernie. I like him too. But I'm not convinced he can pull the turnout necessary to win the White House. Yet.

Turnout, turnout, turnout. That's how it's done. I'm a gay white progressive living in a major city. My vote is guaranteed. It's not me I'm worried about. It's if the not-Republican candidate can get people who are different from me to vote for them. That's part of what the concern is -- it doesn't matter if Bernie has better policies; he has to get elected.

If we want to keep arch conservatives off the Supreme Court and not get ourselves into any more stupid wars in the Middle East (or elsewhere) we need a Democrat who can win. Winning is everything.

So far, Sanders has not shown he can reach out and speak to blacks and Hispanics and get them to turn out on Election Day. Democrats need those votes to win, just as the GOP needs evangelicals to win. We know the Clinton machine can turn them out. Bernie may prove he can do this, and that would be great. But so far, while I understand his great appeal, he seems like a familiar white progressive candidate who progressive whites get excited about early in the primaries (Bill Bradley, Howard Dean) but who can't perform when it comes down to getting votes.

As of today, I would choose HRC over Sanders for this reason, even if I might prefer many of Bernie's actual positions and policies.

This sums it up for me as well.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

And my axe... Er... Vote.

I like Bernie. I loved Howard Dean. One public gaffe like Dean's and you already know what's going to happen...

And it just so happens that Bernie has an incredibly cringe-worthy folk album from the 80s that might just do it.

Thing is Bernie is for real, and people come away STRONGLY supporting him after listening to him.

And how many 10,000 people rallies did Howard Dean have at this stage of the game?

And how many people wished they did not quit on Dean because of a stupid scream?

As I said before it's time for the American people to stop being children.

Bernie is the ONLY "different kind of candidate" - the only candidate willing to overturn the money changers tables.

Yes, the electorate is stupid. It's way past time they stop being stupid.

I like Bernie. I loved Howard Dean. One public gaffe like Dean's and you already know what's going to happen...

And it just so happens that Bernie has an incredibly cringe-worthy folk album from the 80s that might just do it.

And if the American people are willing to elect a Scott Walker over Bernie Sanders bad folk album than they deserve Scott Walker policy.

If people don't recognize a teeth kicking machine for a teeth kicking machine, then a good kick in the teeth ought to wake them up finally.

Thing is Bernie is for real, and people come away STRONGLY supporting him after listening to him.

And how many 10,000 people rallies did Howard Dean have at this stage of the game?

And how many people wished they did not quit on Dean because of a stupid scream?

Bernie is the ONLY "different kind of candidate" - the only candidate willing to overturn the money changers tables.

He's also not Santa Claus.

I admire your optimism. But instead of repeating yourself over and with the "Bernie is REAL", because honestly that doesn't mean or say much these days, Trump's supporters think he's "real".

Let's discuss the two biggest obstacles to your plight.

ONE: how do you suggest he gets elected? No generalities, I'm honestly curious as to how you believe he'll break ALL precedent and win over the big names and money? Specifics.

TWO: how do you honestly see Bernie turning over the tables? Any president, no matter what side of the aisle has to work within the system, and those that plan on getting anything done have to compromise, and as we've seen with Obama, even when trying to work within the system the others will do everything to block or say 'no' even at the cost of the American people.

I'm not suggesting settling or rolling over to the system, but I am saying even if Sanders did win don't expect the tables to be fully turned over. You sound a little bit like the Obama/ messiah voters that the Tea Party folks tried to create, and I think you're going to have to introduce a little more reality if you really want to further his cause.

If you can find a realistic way of getting him the votes, then I'd vote for him in a second, but as it stands NOW a vote for him is a vote for the R.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As long as Scott Walker doesn't win. Seriously has devastated Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, the majority of this camp scare me. With Mitt, I knew it would be wrong for the country but he didn't scare me per se, but I'm not sure which one of these clowns in the car I'd settle for?

First of all, alternative media is overtaking the mainstream media more and more. People have caught on to the system. WHO ELSE is saying that Citizen's United was a horrendous decision and that billionaires and corporations shouldn't be able to choose our president? People are hearing that and the message is resonating. It's up to every one of us, including you - if you like him support him and spread the word.

And a vote for him is NOT a vote for the Republican - this is the primaries. He has no intention of playing spoiler running in a third party.

Finally, Obama gave up saying that Republicans are awful awful awful people - kind of like he was half on their side. Look who supported fast track of the TPP - Obama and a majority of Republicans. Bernie Sanders would not tire of shaming the Republicans and he WOULD ask the American people to deliver senators and representatives that shared his vision. No, he won't be a miracle worker, but I'd much rather have someone fighting to go forward than the status quo (Hillary) and a step backwards (Republicans).

I'm a progressive. I AM more informed than "moderates" (Third Way Dems) and Republicans. We NEED someone like Bernie Sanders if we are going to do anything about our BIG problems. Hillary won't demand anything of corps and millionaires to revive our middle class.

We need a complete change of mindset.

I'm not the kook, I'm just not settling for the status quo until I have no choice. The primaries are ahead of us not behind us. If you like Bernie convince 10 others. Now isn't the time to write him off.

Honestly, the majority of this camp scare me. With Mitt, I knew it would be wrong for the country but he didn't scare me per se, but I'm not sure which one of these clowns in the car I'd settle for?

I made that point when I was roasted for voting third party. Mitt wasn't a lunatic, just a panderer.

I'm much more worried with most of these candidates, Bush aside.

First of all, alternative media is overtaking the mainstream media more and more. People have caught on to the system. WHO ELSE is saying that Citizen's United was a horrendous decision and that billionaires and corporations shouldn't be able to choose our president? People are hearing that and the message is resonating. It's up to every one of us, including you - if you like him support him and spread the word.

And a vote for him is NOT a vote for the Republican - this is the primaries. He has no intention of playing spoiler running in a third party.

Finally, Obama gave up saying that Republicans are awful awful awful people - kind of like he was half on their side. Look who supported fast track of the TPP - Obama and a majority of Republicans. Bernie Sanders would not tire of shaming the Republicans and he WOULD ask the American people to deliver senators and representatives that shared his vision. No, he won't be a miracle worker, but I'd much rather have someone fighting to go forward than the status quo (Hillary) and a step backwards (Republicans).

I'm a progressive. I AM more informed than "moderates" (Third Way Dems) and Republicans. We NEED someone like Bernie Sanders if we are going to do anything about our BIG problems. Hillary won't demand anything of corps and millionaires to revive our middle class.

We need a complete change of mindset.

I'm not the kook, I'm just not settling for the status quo until I have no choice. The primaries are ahead of us not behind us. If you like Bernie convince 10 others. Now isn't the time to write him off.

This is nice and all, but none of it is concrete. There were no real answers. Saying "people are catching on" is not a real answer. This is the problem with his campaign.

Be careful about "alternative media". Conservatives are kicking ass in that medium, they are utilizing it much more effective than anyone else, but the problem is they are just preaching to the choir echo chambers. They have now created a constituent that doesn't bother in fact checking and will believe in Muslim drones confiscating guns in Texas.

I think the following few are rational human beings, in the way that Mitt was a rational human being:

Jeb Bush
Kasich
Pataki

Maybe:

Christie
Rubio

The rest are terrifying.

And Obama has been vocally opposed to Citizens United since it was decided, remember him calling it out in the SOTU? And Alito was seen shaking his head on TV?

Alright then enjoy supporting the NY Yankees, I mean super PAC / status quo / weather vane Hillary - I'll be voting for the guy with integrity.

Maybe you can be slow on the up take and support Bernie if and when it's safe. I'll be one of the guys trying to make that happen.

Last edited:
I think the following few are rational human beings, in the way that Mitt was a rational human being:

Jeb Bush
Kasich
Pataki

Maybe:

Christie
Rubio

As in not so much at all.

Vote for NO REPUBLICANS. Their platform is protect the wealthy / corporations / military industrial complex at all costs - NONE of them are reasonable - ESPECIALLY since they close ranks and block vote for GARBAGE LEGISLATION every time. ALL of them are a menace. VILE human beings and dumb people.

Nothing positive and a bankrupt proven false platform and ideology...especially on economics and the welfare of working people.

Last edited:
Alright then enjoy supporting the NY Yankees, I mean super PAC / status quo / weather vane Hillary - I'll be voting for the guy with integrity.

Maybe you can be slow on the up take and support Bernie if and when it's safe. I'll be one of the guys trying to make that happen.

All we're asking for is reality based answers. It's pretty simple, if you have answers we haven't thought of yet, please let us know.

That's great, Obama is against Citizens United - WHO is going to DO something about it?

See?! This is what what I've been saying. You don't even have your facts straight as to who is for or against what...

Many of us are on the same page as you, we're just asking for specifics. We're not the enemy.

We create our own reality. Reality in 2007 was the BVS's of the US thought nobody would elect a black man yet they did.

Quit acting so hopeless, it's kind of pathetic.

WE DO control our own destiny - but you run along and play despair.

Like I said, I'll vote for Hillary in the general if the BVS's of the United States vote for and nominate Hillary because nobody would vote for Bernie.

And ALL you are getting with Hillary is maybe a few sane Supreme Court justices - I'd like to see more happen than that..

We create our own reality. Reality in 2007 was the BVS's of the US thought nobody would elect a black man yet they did.

Quit acting so hopeless, it's kind of pathetic.

WE DO control our own destiny - but you run along and play despair.

Like I said, I'll vote for Hillary in the general if the BVS's of the United States vote for and nominate Hillary because nobody would vote for Bernie.

And ALL you are getting with Hillary is maybe a few sane Supreme Court justices - I'd like to see more happen than that..

Please stop.

I have a few right wing friends on Facebook. They, and the people who comment on their posts, really do exist in a totally different reality than the rest of us. A reality where they"mainstream media" is lies, and conspiracy theories are embraced and facts that they dislike are dismissed as being media-created pieces of the "narrative" that the powers-that-be fashion to further their own interests.

I've also seen some of this on the Left. Talk about how "the bankers" control everything, how Iranian state run media gives us the real truth about the Palestinians, etc.

It's amazing. I think we have a touch of that here.

Twochords, you're making some odd and, frankly, ill-informed assumptions. I'm pretty sure the BVS's of the United States happily voted for Obama.

It might help to actually get to know what someone's political views are before using them as a scapegoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom