US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he's fun because he says the factually incorrect things that angry people shout at their TVs. it's speaking uninformed rage to power, and it's wildly entertaining.

This. (I've gotten used to Facebook and I keep looking for the "Like" button. I "Like" this.)

I love that Trump is running because of the entertainment. It'll really spice up the debates and I'm honestly interested to hear what Trump has to say. If he somehow wins the Republican nomination, he will have my vote if I don't like the Libertarian candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I like that he's running for entertainment also. But it seems madness to vote for anyone whose contribution to the race is entertainment. We don't need an Entertainer in Chief. It's bad enough that charisma plays such an outsize role in who we tend to vote for.

God forbid? I can't tell if you're serious. Why is that, in any way, a bad thing?

Shit, I can't imagine you do anything with measurements if you honestly think that's a bad thing.

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it!"

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it!"

I'm just glad that good ol Chevrolet still offers us 'Muricans that 800,000 furlong, 260 fortnight limited powertrain warranty.

Remember in 2012 when the crowd booed a gay service member? The memories ...

Of course! Also Rush Limbaugh called some girl a "slut" on his radio show because she wanted birth control. The GOP and social issues, that's one too many elephants in the room (all Chris Christie jokes aside).

It was Lincoln Chafee who said it. In the long run its probably a good idea. But there are much more pressing concerns in this country than switching to metric. Not sure if it's a platform idea.

And Lucky7 I have a Bachelor of Science where everything was calculated in metric. Assuming I'm some sort of backwoods imbecile because I'm conservative is judge mental. Grow up.

And Lucky7 I have a Bachelor of Science where everything was calculated in metric. Assuming I'm some sort of backwoods imbecile because I'm conservative is judge mental. Grow up.

In what? Because that makes your comments look even sillier. I didn't think you were some backwoods imbecile because you're conservative. I thought it because you scoffed at a completely logical idea without any justification.

And please don't tell me to grow up. Open your eyes, I'm one of how many people who said something?

are we sure chris christie isn't the one who wants the metric system? it would make his weight sound lighter.

WhatEVER.

In July we'll be in Canmore/Banff, Calgary (whoopin' it up), then I'll be in Edmonton and Saskatoon.

Managing to tag up everywhere I have family (Banff aside). What could honestly bring someone to Saskatoon though, otherwise? Do you have family there?

In July we'll be in Canmore/Banff, Calgary (whoopin' it up), then I'll be in Edmonton and Saskatoon.

Go up to Jasper if you can/have time. It is much better than Banff (IMO) and hardly any tourists by comparison.

In what? Because that makes your comments look even sillier. I didn't think you were some backwoods imbecile because you're conservative. I thought it because you scoffed at a completely logical idea without any justification.

And please don't tell me to grow up. Open your eyes, I'm one of how many people who said something?

Others said something, but many of your posts have a vein of condescension that can rub people the wrong way. During your Libertarian argument with BobSaget77 you blew off an interjection by me, as if you if you were the walking encyclopedia on all things. Then you tell me to check the dictionary over a word. Even though I'm on the opposite side of many on this board I've learned to be civil and even joke around with people I completely disagree with.

And yes, the metric system is superior in every way. But in the political world Chafee will jokingly be called "The metric man". It will be an albatross around his neck that will impede him presenting his other views. That's why I think its bad politics.

Others said something, but many of your posts have a vein of condescension that can rub people the wrong way. During your Libertarian argument with BobSaget77 you blew off an interjection by me, as if you if you were the walking encyclopedia on all things. Then you tell me to check the dictionary over a word. Even though I'm on the opposite side of many on this board I've learned to be civil and even joke around with people I completely disagree with.

And yes, the metric system is superior in every way. But in the political world Chafee will jokingly be called "The metric man". It will be an albatross around his neck that will impede him presenting his other views. That's why I think its bad politics.

You posted a rather holier than thou comment. And you scoffed at a word and chose to use a synonym. Your condescension was met with condescension.

Where did Lincoln Chafee come into this? You were calling Bernie Sanders a joke over it. And I don't see how this is an albatross to any candidate. That only depends upon where they rank it in importance. For example, Newt Gingrich had difficulty (wrongfully so) over making a "lunar base." He was mocked over that, but the issue wasn't the idea or how important he saw it as. It was the failure to articulate it. It made him look foolish.

Managing to tag up everywhere I have family (Banff aside). What could honestly bring someone to Saskatoon though, otherwise? Do you have family there?

No family, but how can I not go to a place called Saskatoon? I like going to odd places.

Go up to Jasper if you can/have time. It is much better than Banff (IMO) and hardly any tourists by comparison.

Yes, Martha, visit Jasper if you can.

We might get up to Jasper. We've always wanted to see Banff. I might decide that Jasper's on the way from Calgary to Edmonton.

/random Canadia tourist talk

I have been to Saskatoon (on business) and while there really isn't much to write home about it is INFINITELY better than Edmonton, Regina or Winnipeg. At least Saskatoon is sort of...quaint.

And to stay on topic, sort of, the metric system rocks and it amazes me that people are mocking the suggestion of migrating to the system the rest of the world uses as some sort of a joke platform. Surely not the biggest issue facing America today, but a worthwhile conversation.

We're one of three (or some ridiculously low number like that) countries in the world that don't use the metric system.

I mean, I can't imagine that converting would be anything but a total headache ... is that the reason we're hanging onto it? Because the thought of changing everything in our existence over to metric makes everyone just go lie down and cry?

Frankly, I can see that being a valid reason. :lol:

By that logic, you owe Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw a visit.

Don't tempt me.

Oh, and if you ever make it out east, be sure to check out Dildo, Newfoundland.

Sounds like I'd like it there.

I have been to Saskatoon (on business) and while there really isn't much to write home about it is INFINITELY better than Edmonton, Regina or Winnipeg. At least Saskatoon is sort of...quaint.
I had decided a while back that I wanted to drive to Edmonton. Prairies, middle of nowhere to get there, etc. Now it's the Western history that's got me interested. I really liked Boise, so somehow I'm thinking I'll like Saskatoon.

Presidents. Voting.

We're one of three (or some ridiculously low number like that) countries in the world that don't use the metric system.

I mean, I can't imagine that converting would be anything but a total headache ... is that the reason we're hanging onto it? Because the thought of changing everything in our existence over to metric makes everyone just go lie down and cry?

Frankly, I can see that being a valid reason. :lol:

I can think of 3 big reasons how it would mindfuck Americans. Temperatures in Celsius. Speed in Km/hour. And Gas in Price per liter.

There would be a huge backlash. Especially for Weather temperatures. Small talk would be impossible.

From memory our country changed over in the mid sixties, and frankly practically anyone who was an adult then, and who is still around, continues to talk in the old units. Even the rest of us still seem to choose feet and inches for talking about people's height. Carry on.

It's a slow process, is all. But the temperatures will be the hardest part; 90 in the shade means something very bad in celsius.

And to stay on topic, sort of, the metric system rocks and it amazes me that people are mocking the suggestion of migrating to the system the rest of the world uses as some sort of a joke platform. Surely not the biggest issue facing America today, but a worthwhile conversation.

Edmonton does have a pretty kickass mall though. So there's that.

On the issues though... I do get a laugh out of how the "biggest issues" generally actually tend to be "the biggest waste of time from the biggest problems."

I can think of 3 big reasons how it would mindfuck Americans. Temperatures in Celsius. Speed in Km/hour. And Gas in Price per liter.

There would be a huge backlash. Especially for Weather temperatures. Small talk would be impossible.

I love how Americans seem to think their fellow countrymen are just too lazy or dumb to make a transition that the rest of the planet has managed to do (excepting Burma and Liberia, which apparently have recently made the transition or are preparing to). For a country that normally likes to tout how amazing it is, this argument sure does cast the average American as astonishingly stupid.

We absolutely should convert to the metric system, and I think the average American could handle it.

However, I do prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius for weather purposes (and that's it). Maybe by design, Fahrenheit does a good job of spreading out the typical weather temperatures over a wide range, concurrently between 0 and 100. And just stating a "decile" of that (70s, 80s, whatever) is a pretty decent way of giving someone a picture of what it feels like outside. Celsius, while a much more practical system in science, bunches the weather temperatures up in a significantly smaller range, and 1.8 times as temperature levels fit in a group of ten Celsius integers.

0 as freezing point and 100 as boiling point makes a heap more sense than freezing point as 32 and boiling point as 212. That just seems to be numbers plucked out of thin air! The idea of Celsius seeming bunched together I guess is just perception. There already isn't that much of a meaningful distinction between 22 and 23 Celsius - there's even less between 71 and 72 Fahrenheit.

And you can just as easily say "low twenties" for Celsius as you can "seventies" Fahrenheit. Same amount of syllables, even. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom