US presidency??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Just a question I thought of while we were watching Deep Impact. My dad walked in and asked if it was fiction or if the story had really happened (he is such a joker you know...
icon23.gif

Anyway I answered him that it has to be obvious that this will never happen. A meteor threatening earth okay, that is not unthinkable. But an African-American president!?!??!

Anyway I was only joking at first. But then it got me thinking. Will this be the century in which the US will have it's first black or even female president?

[This message has been edited by DrTeeth (edited 10-30-2001).]

No, but we will see the first Latino president and they will continue to keep the brother man down. Just ask Jesse Jackson.

I do think that SOME people (see above) feel like the latino population has/will take away some of the black communities influence. And he...er they don't like that.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Ignorance "It never fails."

AIM: JuanSwallow

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-30-2001).]

I do think that a president of Hispanic / Latin descent is highly likely, as it is projected that this ethnicity will become the majority in 2050. However, that always assumed that things such as immigration remained constant. If Mexico, for any reason, gets their act together, I know that many Mexicans have expressed a desire to return to their native country permanently, and the only reason they are in America is because of the poverty and corruption. The same also probably goes for Cuba. When Castro eventually falls (most likely by natural death at this point), his handpicked successor / relative might not be able to hold onto power as easily. So, honestly, everything is up for grabs, in my opinion. I mean, look at how life was different fifty years ago? I think it's really hard to project what life will be like fifty years from now.

An African-American president, though? I don't think it's very likely, if only because the bigot vote in the South, West, and Midwest is still too powerful, and I don't see it waning anytime soon, but, as I said earlier, it's anybody's guess.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I suspect both will happen and happen relatively soon. If Colin Powell wanted to be President he would be already. In George Stephanopoulos's book All Too Human he makes references to Clinton's concerns about a Powell candidacy. He wasn't at all concerned about any other opponent.
Interestingly enough I suspect that the only way a woman or an African-American will get elected as President will be if they run as a Republican. That way the more conservative bigots and feminist haters won't have a realistic alternative. I suspect that a great deal of Democrats would be willing to vote GOP if there was a woman or African-American running.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Interestingly enough I suspect that the only way a woman or an African-American will get elected as President will be if they run as a Republican. That way the more conservative bigots and feminist haters won't have a realistic alternative.

I agree, although I do suspect that the most severe bigots would rather vote in a white male Democrat over a black Republican.

I suspect that a great deal of Democrats would be willing to vote GOP if there was a woman or African-American running.

Eh...maybe. I think voting for someone over anatomy or appearances is stupid regardless.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

What difference does it make if the person is black, white, man or woman? Just as long as they can get the job done.

I would voted for Powell in a second becuase of the person he is, not the color he is. I feel this is where affirmative action misses.

I was going to weigh in wiht the same thoughts expressed by Matthew_Page2000; a Colin Powell or Liddy Dole would be far more hopeful than a "Reverend" Jesse Jackson or Geraldine Ferraro of the 80s.

And, melon, regarding your comment about the bigots, I think they would more than likely vote for a Pat Buchanon type candidate instead of a Gephardt or Daschle or whomever it may be. But, true, they would not vote for Powell or (Mrs.) Dole.

~U2Alabama

Yah.. Powell would be pres if he wanted it.. which i think is also a testament to our country.. people always still talk about racism.. but if someone is good, competent, then they'll get the job as powell would have done.. BUT GET THIS.. I Would be willing to place large amounts of money that If Powell were to run against a White Democrat.. or a Black Democrat were to run against a White Republican.. That the Black man would get the minority of black votes.. More Black people would vote for the other candidate than one of their own color.. It is sad to say/think, but it is so true.. It's almost as if in this society that the general black attitude is we're in the shithole of society, we're going to stay there because we're keeping it 'real', and any one that tries to climb out of the cellar .. well We're going to Pull Him down.. It's the same with women and beautiful women.. I think that's why oj got off, because the women of the jury were like, she was beautiful, she deserved it.. Yes.. radical statements i know, or maybe just the things we all think but never have the taste or 'balls' to say because it is something we'd rather not think about...

What about a black female who is lesbian ?? Mmmmm..... anywhere in the world, it would be a premiere..

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org
Amnesty" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org
Amnesty</A> International : www.amnesty.org - Greenpeace International : <A HREF="http://www.greenpeace.org
Reporters" TARGET=_blank>www.greenpeace.org
Reporters</A> Sans Fronti?res [Reporters Without Borders] : www.rsf.fr - M?decins Sans Fronti?res [Doctors Without Borders] : www.paris.msf.org

Originally posted by wolfwill23:
What difference does it make if the person is black, white, man or woman? Just as long as they can get the job done.

I would voted for Powell in a second becuase of the person he is, not the color he is. I feel this is where affirmative action misses.
I wouldn't vote for Powell. not because he's black, but because he's pro-choice.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
So you wouldn't have voted for Gerald Ford either? Would you have voted for GWB if he had Tom Ridge (PA) as his running mate?

Nope, would not have voted for Gerald Ford if I knew he was pro-choice.
I still would have voted for GWB with Ridge, because he is the "president" part of the ticket. Of course, I say I wouldn't vote for Powell, what I mean is "in the primaries" i definitely would not have. I guess if it came down to Gore and Powell, both of whom are pro-choice, i would have to vote for Powell, because at least most of his other view line up with mine.

Back
Top Bottom