US PolitIX - Michael Cohen Ruined Infrastructure Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only did they cheer, they started chanting lock her up

Not only did they cheer, they started chanting lock her up

Don't worry, we'll get a NYT article soon explaining to all of us how these deplorables are all just suffering from economic anxiety. No racism or misogyny here.

Or wait until the last week before midterms when the NYT releases an article on how the FBI is investigating every Dem candidate due to email concerns

So what is the bare minimum that the Democrats have to accomplish in the Mid Terms to hold off Trump and GOP destroying democracy?

Is it just win the Senate?

So what is the bare minimum that the Democrats have to accomplish in the Mid Terms to hold off Trump and GOP destroying democracy?

Is it just win the Senate?
Win both houses is step one.

Actually accomplish something and not just sit around shooting themselves in the foot for 2 years is step two.

Win in 2020 is step 3.

It's a long road ahead. I have zero confidence that the Dems can accomplish step 2.

I don’t even know that they can accomplish step 1 (Senate will be very very hard to win; the House is almost a done deal).

Commander in cheeto just fucking tested out his new toy. Yes, “presidential alerts” are totally a necessary non-authoritarian use of power. Because there’s absolutely something that the president must tell every citizen that local or state law enforcement or first responders cannot.

I don’t know which administration implemented this, but it’s fucking stupid. The last thing I need is Donald Trump tweeting directly to my device as an “emergency alert.”

DJT: presidential alert! Dems are liars! Sad!

I only want a text from him if he's announcing his resignation.

But you know, to be fair - he's right. It IS a scary time to be a young man in America. Someday, someone might accuse you of being born in Kenya, or running a pedophile ring from a pizza restaurant!

I mean, I’m sure this is like “duck hide I angered the Chinese one too many times and they’re coming” type of alerts, not directly from DJT himself.

I think this is absolutely unconstitutional though, and an absolute seizure of my personal device using a private service that I pay for because **you can’t opt out of this service.**

Actually accomplish something and not just sit around shooting themselves in the foot for 2 years is step two.

I think a big problem is if they do win the House (and if they're miraculously lucky enough to win the Senate, too), they won't win with some people no matter what they do. Everyone who voted for them will immediately want them to start impeachment hearings against Trump, or will want them to try and block virtually anything Trump and the GOP wants, or things of that sort. And if they do that, that'll make them look like obstructionists to the right, and will only add to the chaos and gridlock and fuel the "See, both parties are bad" narrative in some people's eyes.

But if they don't fight back against Trump hard enough to satisfy their supporters, those voters will get frustrated and perhaps feel like nothing's going to change, and as a result, could feel demotivated.

So I honestly don't know what the best way for the Democrats to handle things relating to Trump and the GOP in general would be going forward, should they gain control. I don't want them to give in to Trump. I want them to do what they can to hold him accountable. But I also don't want people to see them as obstructionists. If there's a way they can do their jobs without risking alienating some aspect of the population, great, but I don't see that being likely.

I think, obviously, the biggest thing that could help give the Democrats a serious boost is if and when the Mueller investigation starts revealing everything they've gathered on Trump/his campaign and whatever role one or both of them played in the 2016 election mess. At that point, I think most Americans would agree the Democrats (and the Republicans, for that matter, if they're still in control of the Senate) would be fools to NOT immediately start hearings and focus on impeachment charges and things of that sort. That could perhaps embolden the Democrats to where they feel they've got enough public backing to do more of what they really want to do, and if they manage to hold Trump and any other people involved accountable, that'd be a great wave on which to ride into the 2020 elections.

I'm not talking about impeachment, which is a given if the Democrats win back Congress.

I'm talking about 2 years of infighting over whether or not they're being too left / not left enough leading to nothing getting done.

I think we all know this is going to happen.

The Presidential Alert system was created in 2016. This is just the first time it has been tested. The alert is sent out by FEMA and not the president himself.

Like I said before, “I’m not sure which administration created this.”

It doesn’t have to be about Trump to criticize it, nor does it get a pass because it wasn’t Trump. The bottom line is the system is an egregious violation of our rights.

And it think where it can get you when someone not-responsible is president. You don’t think he wants to use it? Aside from being peed on, what would make Donald Trump more wet than to be able to complain directly to your phone?

Win both houses is step one.

Win in 2020 is step 3.

It's a long road ahead. I have zero confidence that the Dems can accomplish step 2.

ColorlessShallowGoldfish-size_restricted.gif

I'm not talking about impeachment, which is a given if the Democrats win back Congress.

I'm talking about 2 years of infighting over whether or not they're being too left / not left enough leading to nothing getting done.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Apologies for misunderstanding. In that case, yeah, I definitely agree I don't want to spend time on that crap.

Well doesn’t surprise me given the very short and very limited investigation! This guy will be confirmed sadly.

True, and sadly at the end of the day, on top of him being confirmed this will be loss for the Dems. This solidified the right’s view while the left is left with egg on their face.

Teflon Don wins again.

Watch how many laws get changed before midterms

Polling on this issue also looks bad for Heitkamp and Manchin.

The thing to do now is use Kavanaugh as a left RvW rallying point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom