US PolitIX - Michael Cohen Ruined Infrastructure Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Kavanaugh is a foregone conclusion. And I'm even more convinced of it given the latest polls. The House is lost and the Senate is looking dangerously in play. My guess is that the GOP has given up on the midterms, at least privately, and they know full well that confirming Kavanaugh will be the last nail in the coffin. The left and any reasonable woman will be outraged, the right will have their justice and no real reason to get off their asses and vote. So they get SCOTUS and lose their ability to govern in one fell swoop. Given that they have aptly demonstrated that they are a party that is unable to govern anyway, it's not the worst result. Plus, the cynic in me also thinks that the establishment GOP, or what's left of it, doesn't mind a useless lame duck Trump for the next 2 years as they'll all be running against him. He wasn't, a "real" conservative, he was actually a Democrat all along, it's not Conservatism that's failed you voters, blah blah blah.

As soon as Dems are in control, expand the size of the court by 2 more justices and stick it to them. The Republicans play to win, about time the Dems did the same.

Oh yeah but look at it the positive way - this *will* be the midterm nail in the coffin.

And if we ever wanted to talk about an impeachment, which is still unlikely, midterms are mandatory.

As soon as Dems are in control, expand the size of the court by 2 more justices and stick it to them. The Republicans play to win, about time the Dems did the same.

Is there any way the Democrats could just remove Kavanaugh instead if he does get through (especially if more accusations/proof comes out over time)? Or if that's too hard, could they perhaps focus on putting term limits on SC judges, so that even if he's there, he'll only be there for a set number of years and can therefore only inflict minimal damage at most? Term limits in general seem to be a popular position among many in this country already, so maybe that could be a route worth looking at.

I wonder what would happen if, by some off chance, something happens and Kavnaugh doesn't get the nomination. How would the GOP handle that going forward?

Idk how the republican politicians would handle it if their nominee doesn’t get the votes but I can totally see all the trump supporters (and trump too) going crazy and blaming it all on the democrats and being a witch hunt yadi yada. Wouldn’t surprise me if they go out and riot. And there will be one massive trump twitter storm/meltdown. That’s almost a given.

but I can totally see all the trump supporters (and trump too) going crazy and blaming it all on the democrats and being a witch hunt yadi yada. Wouldn’t surprise me if they go out and riot. And there will be one massive trump twitter storm/meltdown. That’s almost a given.

Oh, definitely.

Have to say, by the way, that it's amazing how many people don't understand what a witch hunt actually is. It's one of those terms that's become so meaningless with how often it's tossed around nowadays.

Is there any way the Democrats could just remove Kavanaugh instead if he does get through (especially if more accusations/proof comes out over time)? Or if that's too hard, could they perhaps focus on putting term limits on SC judges, so that even if he's there, he'll only be there for a set number of years and can therefore only inflict minimal damage at most? Term limits in general seem to be a popular position among many in this country already, so maybe that could be a route worth looking at.

I wonder what would happen if, by some off chance, something happens and Kavnaugh doesn't get the nomination. How would the GOP handle that going forward?

You can impeach a SCOTUS justice but how you get to 2/3 of the votes in the Senate is anyone's guess.

The most frightening thing about what's going on right now isn't that facts don't matter to a large portion of the population, it's that a large portion of the population believes that the facts are really the lies, and the lies are actually the facts.

It's not that they don't care. They truly believe in, for lack of a better phrase, alternative facts.

I don't know how you combat this.

Yeah that’s definitely the scary part. It’s true. It’s a gross feeling where the facts are pretty clear but you’re made to feel like it’s a debate, if only because so many fucking people insist otherwise. Like we are conspirators.

I mean, I can fully acknowledge what’s a ploy. Plenty of dem ploys out there to make the president look like an idiot. But with that being said, most of it is on him. It doesn’t need setups or ploys. Either you’re drinking the juice or you’re not.

Michael Avenatti has just named his client and posted her picture. She signed a sworn declaration and is willing to testify in front of the Senate. About what she knows about Kavanaugh being involved in these parties in high school. With drugging and assaulting or attempting to assault women.

I haven't read the declaration or what he has posted.

GOP really fucked the pooch on this one...

Could have just yanked him weeks ago and already had another candidate up.

Now they're either going to have to vote in a judge who may end up in prison, or have him withdraw knowing that it's unlikely that they'll be able to get another one up before the midterms.

And if they lose the Senate, 2019 will be all about impeachment, and 2020 the dems can be all Mcconnell-like and say that we need to wait till the election and a new president.

I’m waiting for the “don’t talk to me about a few drunk girls getting gang raped when millions of babies have been murdered in the womb since Roe” comments.

I see no way he ends up in prison.
No statute of limitations in Maryland.

Obviously it's a long shot as there would be almost zero evidence, unless this Judge character were to flip on his broheim - resigning in disgrace is more likely.

But I don't see Avenatti letting this go, and his client has security clearances that she's risking by going public like this, if she were to be making it up.

GOP really fucked the pooch on this one...

Could have just yanked him weeks ago and already had another candidate up.

Now they're either going to have to vote in a judge who may end up in prison, or have him withdraw knowing that it's unlikely that they'll be able to get another one up before the midterms.

And if they lose the Senate, 2019 will be all about impeachment, and 2020 the dems can be all Mcconnell-like and say that we need to wait till the election and a new president.

It's not the GOP, it's Trumpski.

The GOP would have preferred Amy Coney Barrett, and the evangelicals actually did put up a minor whinefest when she wasn't nominated. Mother of 7, super pro-life, woman, confirmed by the same Congress, basically a slam dunk for them. But, Trump wanted a guy who would keep him out of jail, so they got stuck with Kavanaugh who was generally "good enough" on other issues.

They have for sure screwed the pooch on this in the last couple of weeks though. They should have booted his ass and put her up, then confirmed her in the lame duck session. Now they are doubling down literally to stick it to the Libs. There is no morality left.

No statute of limitations in Maryland.

Obviously it's a long shot as there would be almost zero evidence, unless this Judge character were to flip on his broheim - resigning in disgrace is more likely.

But I don't see Avenatti letting this go, and his client has security clearances that she's risking by going public like this, if she were to be making it up.

Even in the slimmest of chances that he gets investigated, think about how hard it is for a prosecutor to prove “without a doubt” that this happened, given the political implications of the case.

Sad but true, his position makes him, by default, have all shadows of doubt cast from political motivations.

The Judicial Crisis Network (i.e. right wing group trying to get Kavanaugh on SCOTUS) which has had their chief counsel on the networks every night defending Kavanaugh now says they are no longer saying he should definitively be confirmed because they need to "look further" into the allegations.

But the GOP is doubling down, like the idiots that they are.

Right, but he didn't put it in his calendar so it's obviously not true.

Except, he did:
OYGIvdO.jpg

Kavanaugh released the calendar after the newest accusations were already submitted, so he incriminated himself while attempting to clear his name against the first accuser.

I think the newest set of allegations includes incidents during said "beach week" in Ocean City.

I think the newest set of allegations includes incidents during said "beach week" in Ocean City.

Correct:

"9 - I have been told by other women that this conduct also occurred during the Summer months in Ocean City, Maryland on numerous occasions. I also witnessed such conduct on one occasion in Ocean City, Maryland during "Beach Week.""

He voluntarily went to see Grease II, so he should be excluded from public service on that alone.

And who has a calendar from 36 years ago lying around?

In a box somewhere at my mom's, I PROBABLY still have my planner from high school... But I also show signs of hoarding tendencies Sooooooooo....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom