US PolitIX - Michael Cohen Ruined Infrastructure Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to about an hour and a half in the car on the ride home,
This hearing is the greatest advertisement for Senate term limits that has ever been.
Every committee member sounds like they are 164 years old, each one just asks the same question/makes the same statement as the previous senator from their respective party. Its unfathomable that these people are in charge of making laws for our country (well I guess its not so unfathomable when you consider who the Tangerine in Chief is).
When he's not answering the questions, it's hard not to keep asking the same questions.

American women, you need to be in the streets burning tires when this piece of shit is confirmed.

That piece of crap Manchin is undecided?

Look I'm not one for purity tests, but there are fucking lines in the sand. Get in line, asshole.

Tomorrow would be a really good day for Mueller to indict everyone

My mom just got off the phone with me and was telling me about how little she had known about what was going on with the Kavanaugh accusations but just put two and two together that some pretty hateful memes/images my uncle (her oldest brother) had been sharing were aimed at Dr. Ford. My mom's boyfriend tried to rape her when she was in high school in the 80s, and she never told any of her siblings/authorities. She told her dad and he didn't believe her. She's planning on talking to her brother about this tomorrow. I think he's completely beyond hope, but maybe she can make a difference in changing one more person's mind about how they'd feel if it was their sister.

I'm so glad my mom has started to realize that there's just something so wrong happening with the political realm in the US right now and that it's not just sports team vs sports team. That's the one thing that's gotten me through all of the rest of my family being so terrible about all of this. She was just so perplexed as to why she was seeing so many people posting about praying for Kavanaugh and all of these things, just one of those moments where I think she really saw the light that some of her family doesn't really care about the religious side of it. It's just R vs D.

It’s so obvious that people like Kavanaugh have lived consequence-free lives, and they are unable to handle it when they get challenged on their actions. The result is whatever the hell that was from Kavanaugh and the rest of the GOP yesterday.

So after today the GOP controls everything.

We’ve done nothing to protect our elections and even if a Blue Wave happens, what’s to stop the GOP from claiming it was hacked/fake and dispute enough of the seats to keep control? We cannot challenge anything in the courts going forward.

I’m not sure people realize how serious this seat was to our democracy. Trump becomes king with Kavanaugh

Americans by and large don't care enough to take to the streets. I've said it often - so long as they can buy cheap shit at Walmart, have 2 cars in the driveway and food is in abundance, it's very easy not to give a shit about elections or their consequences. My grandmother always maintained that when it comes down to it, there are really only two groups of people in the world - those who know what it's like to be hungry and those who don't. And everything else flows from that distinction.

So yeah, you'll see some people outraged, mostly women who may even organize and march and they'll be called crazy and hysterical per usual and next week nobody will care anymore. It's very depressing.

When he's not answering the questions, it's hard not to keep asking the same questions.

Well some he did answer and got asked again & again, like how many times did he get asked if he ever blacked out? I understand folks might not have liked or believed his answer, but he answered, no need to have 4 other senators ask it, he wasn't going to change his answers.
And the Republicans were just as bad with each one repeating the same diatribe about him/his family being put through "hell" etc. when they got their chance.
The whole thing needed only be 30 minutes long, would have covered all the same ground.

Well some he did answer and got asked again & again, like how many times did he get asked if he ever blacked out? I understand folks might not have liked or believed his answer, but he answered, no need to have 4 other senators ask it, he wasn't going to change his answers.
And the Republicans were just as bad with each one repeating the same diatribe about him/his family being put through "hell" etc. when they got their chance.
The whole thing needed only be 30 minutes long, would have covered all the same ground.
The other problem of course is that there isn't much else to ask him. They need the other four (three?) witnesses who aren't here to ask questions to.

The thing is this is a confirmation hearing and this is basically how this goes, they all get five minutes. We just don't usually watch it. Condensing it down for better home viewing is probably not the wisest move, but the senators could've done better with more questions prepared once theirs were already asked, though one of the last people I heard ask him if he ever passed out, I was glad that they asked, because they hit him with the part about the baseball game trip and that one seemed to really throw Kavanaugh off.

The republican senator who basically was like, man can't wait to throw this Joe Biden line in the Dem's face, and then got beat to the punch by another senator, but decided to just repeat ver batim what had just been said not even ten minutes beforehand, that guy was the one that irritated me the most (besides the obvious grandstanders like Cruz and Graham).

Americans by and large don't care enough to take to the streets. I've said it often - so long as they can buy cheap shit at Walmart, have 2 cars in the driveway and food is in abundance, it's very easy not to give a shit about elections or their consequences. My grandmother always maintained that when it comes down to it, there are really only two groups of people in the world - those who know what it's like to be hungry and those who don't. And everything else flows from that distinction.

So yeah, you'll see some people outraged, mostly women who may even organize and march and they'll be called crazy and hysterical per usual and next week nobody will care anymore. It's very depressing.

Agree.

CNN is reporting the GOP does not have the votes currently.

Somebody other than Murkowski is holding out then.

The republican senator who basically was like, man can't wait to throw this Joe Biden line in the Dem's face, and then got beat to the punch by another senator, but decided to just repeat ver batim what had just been said not even ten minutes beforehand, that guy was the one that irritated me the most (besides the obvious grandstanders like Cruz and Graham).
Yeah that's the issue, each one has to get their say, and they all pretty much say/ask the same thing as the other members of their party.
So you get essentially 2 opposing viewpoints reiterated alternately for hours on end, just mind numbing after a while.

And after listening to a bunch of iton radio, when I got home and threw the TV on, Cruz was doing his thing...oy vey.

They are undecided but don’t kid yourself. They will vote yes.

They don’t fucking care about anything except party

Oh so basically they’re seeing what concessions they can get from fellow repubes while they continue to brand themselves as in the middle.

I also feel like Ben Sasse is not getting enough flak and Jeff Flake is taking the heat. Let’s not forget, he’s the other “I’m ashamed in this party” supposedly common sensical Republican.

Murkowski and Collins taking flak for a different reason. They’re women who claim to stand up for women but don’t give a fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom