US PolitiX -Angry Left Wing Mob Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's almost as if everyone's experiences with illnesses and diseases are wildly different and subjective, and accusing anyone of faking it (especially a total stranger you know nothing about) without definitive proof of that is a shitty thing to do :hmm:
I didn't say he's faking it, I said that he has a good chance of being one of the many many people in the United States who are overdiagnosed with the disorder. If you'd like, I can provide scientific data to go with that.

What I said is he was told he has ADHD. Possibly by a doctor, possibly by a teacher. He has identified himself with that and used it as an excuse for why he's not voting, instead of actually just trying to vote. It's frustrating to read. We're a week out from the election and he's like, "nah, I think my ADHD is going to prevent that." I'm sorry but that's really frustrating, again as someone of the same age group, and also someone who has a mental disorder. If you let it define you like that, it's really just a shame.

Last edited:
What do you guys think are the reasons why young people don't vote more?

Course, then again, Bernie Sanders did manage to enthuse some younger people, so... But I think he's an exception.

You kind of answered your own question.

Most candidates (talking major office specifically) just don't connect with young voters.
In recent history I'd say JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama were probably the only presidential candidates who younger voters felt any connection to. (Not certain actual numbers would back this up, but certainly felt that way to me in the cases of Clinton and Obama, wasn't around for JFK but have read and been told plenty about him. Specifically remember Clinton going on MTV with Tabitha Soren and playing Sax with Arsenio Hall's band. Those of us in our 20's at the time found him to be the "cool" candidate.)

Not surprisingly they are 3 of the 5 youngest elected to the office in history.

To get young voters out, the Dems in 2020 need to find a reasonably young, energetic candidate who younger voters to whom younger voters can somewhat relate.

Look, voter turnout amongst the young IS an issue. They have consistently voted less than older people for well, always. As a member of the "slacker" generation I heard it constantly in the '90s. I think that young people in general do want to be inspired, as you can see in the chart on that page, there are spikes in '92 and '08. As a 14 year old in 1992, I remember desperately wanting to be able to vote for Bill Clinton.

Do I think this current generation is more politically aware, yes. I work on a college campus, and have for 20 years. I've seen the generational shift first hand, and do think they care. With the college kids, it IS harder to vote. They either have to plan way ahead and absentee in their home state, or wade through the local laws to register in their college towns. Some states are specifically making it HARDER for college kids to vote. But then you see a quote like the one from Irvine's post and you want to smack him.

But hey, I'm just an ignorant asshole.

Voter Turnout Demographics - United States Elections Project

PS. Get off my lawn!

Do I think this current generation is more politically aware, yes. I work on a college campus, and have for 20 years. I've seen the generational shift first hand, and do think they care. With the college kids, it IS harder to vote. They either have to plan way ahead and absentee in their home state, or wade through the local laws to register in their college towns. Some states are specifically making it HARDER for college kids to vote. But then you see a quote like the one from Irvine's post and you want to smack him.

This is true, it's the reason I only voted once while I was in college (and it was just the Indiana primary, because I was all-aboard the Hillary train back in 2008) and it was such a PITA and it was so obvious Obama was going to win, I didn't bother again, and I definitely didn't vote in mid-terms for that reason, either. So, at least for college-aged students, that's makes sense. And I chastise myself for it now, it was lazy. So, yeah, consider me part of that statistic as well, who also has become more civically-aware with age.

I didn't say he's faking it, I said that he has a good chance of being one of the many many people in the United States who are overdiagnosed with the disorder. If you'd like, I can provide scientific data to go with that.

What I said is he was told he has ADHD. Possibly by a doctor, possibly by a teacher. He has identified himself with that and used it as an excuse for why he's not voting, instead of actually just trying to vote. It's frustrating to read. We're a week out from the election and he's like, "nah, I think my ADHD is going to prevent that." I'm sorry but that's really frustrating, again as someone of the same age group, and also someone who has a mental disorder. If you let it define you like that, it's really just a shame.

well no, you started by talking about people never getting diagnosed and then just assuming they have it because someone told them, then in the very next sentence you accused him straight up of being "just so fucking lazy" and asserted that "people have told them their whole life that it's OK because they just can't concentrate." you know absolutely nothing about this person that would let you make such a definitive assertion like that.

maybe he is exaggerating, maybe he's telling the truth. but none of us have any way of knowing that. people have all sorts of phobias, illnesses, and traumas that get triggered by things that the rest of society would find utterly ridiculous, but that doesn't invalidate the experience that person has gone through.

he's certainly not off the mark when he says that unless something has an immediate or short-term payoff that it's hard to get motivated for, that's not "so fucking lazy", that's like literally one of the main symptoms of ADHD. my brother joe has dealt with this exact thing too, and it's cost him jobs, relationships, money, you name it. everything that person said makes sense and pretty evidently comes from someone who genuinely has to deal with ADHD.

yes i wish he could find a way to deal with it and go vote, i wish everyone could. but nothing he said deserved the response he got here, that's for sure.

anyways, i'm sorry for getting worked up but the replies to that hit a little close to home for me.

Last edited:
So, they are tracing the attempted bribes, and these guys are DUMB. The "men" involved are Jack Burkman who also tried to pay people in regards the Seth Rich murder investigation, and everyone's favorite LA hipster coffee shop frequenter Jacob Wohl. Apperently, a company tied to this Surefire media, has a phone number registered to Wohl's mom. :lmao:

They aren't smart.

You kind of answered your own question.

Most candidates (talking major office specifically) just don't connect with young voters.
In recent history I'd say JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama were probably the only presidential candidates who younger voters felt any connection to. (Not certain actual numbers would back this up, but certainly felt that way to me in the cases of Clinton and Obama, wasn't around for JFK but have read and been told plenty about him. Specifically remember Clinton going on MTV with Tabitha Soren and playing Sax with Arsenio Hall's band. Those of us in our 20's at the time found him to be the "cool" candidate.)

Not surprisingly they are 3 of the 5 youngest elected to the office in history.

To get young voters out, the Dems in 2020 need to find a reasonably young, energetic candidate who younger voters to whom younger voters can somewhat relate.

My question was mostly to see if people had any theories outside the usual/obvious ones of politicians failing to connect and voter disenfranchisement and such. Like the things Irvine mentioned in his post.

But yes, it amazes me how the Democrats aren't doing more to continue following the playbook of those three notable politicians when it comes to getting out young voters, both in the presidential elections and in the midterms.

(That, of course, is another issue we need to resolve, making the midterms just as important as the presidential elections.)

So, they are tracing the attempted bribes, and these guys are DUMB. The "men" involved are Jack Burkman who also tried to pay people in regards the Seth Rich murder investigation, and everyone's favorite LA hipster coffee shop frequenter Jacob Wohl. Apperently, a company tied to this Surefire media, has a phone number registered to Wohl's mom. :lmao:

They aren't smart.

Like I said before, if we can find any upside to the Trump administration and their cronies' scandals and scams, it's that they apparently do a really shitty job of trying to cover their tracks.

So much crap keeping the FBI busy-I'm convinced nobody there has gotten any sleep in a good, long while.

well no, you started by talking about people never getting diagnosed and then just assuming they have it because someone told them, then in the very next sentence you accused him straight up of being "just so fucking lazy" and asserted that "people have told them their whole life that it's OK because they just can't concentrate." you know absolutely nothing about this person that would let you make such a definitive assertion like that.

maybe he is exaggerating, maybe he's telling the truth. but none of us have any way of knowing that. people have all sorts of phobias, illnesses, and traumas that get triggered by things that the rest of society would find utterly ridiculous, but that doesn't invalidate the experience that person has gone through.

he's certainly not off the mark when he says that unless something has an immediate or short-term payoff that it's hard to get motivated for, that's not "so fucking lazy", that's like literally one of the main symptoms of ADHD. my brother joe has dealt with this exact thing too, and it's cost him jobs, relationships, money, you name it. everything that person said makes sense and pretty evidently comes from someone who genuinely has to deal with ADHD.

yes i wish he could find a way to deal with it and go vote, i wish everyone could. but nothing he said deserved the response he got here, that's for sure.

anyways, i'm sorry for getting worked up but the replies to that hit a little close to home for me.

Went through and read the entire conversation and you are not wrong that my intent and my words didn't meet. Part of this was out of a personal frustration with what is happening in the US with the over-diagnosis of this disorder. I have some very heavy baggage with this, some personal and it's why I tried in my original response to make it clear that I wasn't trying to say something that you took me to be saying in the end anyways. I failed in my initial post. I hope some of the ensuing interaction made it clearer what my intent was, but I do feel like it got off on the wrong foot and went from there.

I very truly sincerely understand what you are going through with your brother. I go through it all of the time with my step-brother. His life is a shambles. He lets his family down constantly, he's always in trouble, he wants to change and he can't. He's broken my little brother's heart more times than I can count and I hate him for it. I try not to because I know there are struggles causing it, but I'm an imperfect person.

When I see people, like one of my good friends post these types of "lalala, my ADHD caused me to do this today..." things on Facebook, I get (probably irrationally) angry about it. The post Irvine shared felt a lot like that to me. It didn't to you. That's where I was trying to get to with the argument that you and I were arguing anecdotally about our own life experiences. I was definitely turning that person into a representation of a whole, hence why I was trying to express to you that I was not referring specifically to him, despite using him as an example. Again, I probably failed. I spoke rashly out of emotion, instead of forming a cohesive thought. Very likely, even if I had written out how I felt about the comments in that manner, however, we still would have disagreed, and that's OK. But it probably would've been a better conversation.

thanks for that, i appreciate it. i'm sorry as well for what your family and step-brother have dealt with - i know from experience that how much of a strain on a family that can be. joe seems to be doing well these days but there was a period in his teens and 20s where we were fairly certain he was going to eventually end up either dead from an overdose or suicide, or in jail. he literally couldn't focus on anything, commit to anything, or even finish barely any task he started, and when he wasn't able to complete things he lashed out at the people around him and at himself. at one point it seemed like he had truly given up on the idea that his life would turn out okay and we thought he would try to kill himself. but meeting his wife really helped him turn a corner and now he still has trouble holding down a really solid job but he does seem to understand and is trying really hard to do his best.

i also acknowledge i got heated a bit and if anything i said came off in a personal way please know i didn't mean it like that and i apologize if that's how i came across. no hard feelings here. let's get back on topic. :hi5:

Last edited:
Protesters greet Trump in Pittsburgh. Anyone know of a single other instance of a US President being protested when acting as the consoler in chief? (in the case of Trump that's a major misnomer).

Protesters greet Trump in Pittsburgh. Anyone know of a single other instance of a US President being protested when acting as the consoler in chief? (in the case of Trump that's a major misnomer).
What's he even going to do there? The synagogue asked him not to come.

What's he even going to do there? The synagogue asked him not to come.

Since when does he cares what the Jews ask? OK, maybe if it was his daughter and he could focus long enough on what she had to say instead of thinking about doing her.

I am enjoying the shit out of Twitter as #morongate unfolds.
edBQBeJ.gif

#morongate? :lol:

Ah, yes, Prez Drumph as consoler-in-chief is an oxymoron. Ha, an now I get some of semi-pun there, too. Was like... oh, wait, as began to spell it.

Well, some folks are happy he's there as far as I heard earlier, but I haven't heard yet what the visit was like.

Last edited:
This whole generation being told they can't do things because they have "ADHD" (with basically no diagnosis, ever, just adults telling them they do) and living with the expectation that they will be hand-held through life is just infuriating. And it's my generation and I see it in my friends all the time and it drives me nuts. At least my friends vote, though.

That person is just so fucking lazy and people have told them their whole life that it's OK because they just can't concentrate.

(Please note I'm not saying there's no such thing as ADD or ADHD, because it's not what I'm saying at all.)

Lol thanks for the last sentence. As I genuinely have learning disabilities (diagnosed) I struggled through school and struggle through work although most of my coworkers would never think I have learning disabilities. I work my butt off to overcome whatever difficulties I encounter and it pays off.

With that said I agree that this generation (some but not all) uses the ADD excuse to be lazy!

Last edited:
Lol thanks for the last sentence. As I genuinely have learning disabilities (diagnosed) I struggled through school and struggle through work although most of my coworkers would never think I have learning disabilities. I work my butt off to overcome whatever difficulties I encounter and it pays off.

With that said I agree that this generation uses the ADD excuse to be lazy!

I definitely hope you saw some of the other things I had to say, because in retrospect I very much agree my initial post being the way it was. I apologize if I upset you at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom