US PolitiX -Angry Left Wing Mob Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike DeWine won the governor's race here in Ohio. Damnit. This could end up hurting my health coverage.

I am feeling some ill-will towards the voters in my state. They voted for Trump two years ago. They voted for DeWine tonight. There was also a ballot measure that would've made drug possession and use misdemeanors instead of full on felonies, reduced prison time for those things, and invested money into rehabilitation programs and addiction treatment. It seems to be like a logical, compassionate, empathetic way to tackle the issue of drugs, so of course the voters of Ohio turned it down by a wide margin. Just like they voted down the measure to legalize medical weed two years ago, and just like they never voted to legalize gay marriage.

At least Sherrod Brown soundly won re-election.

We're supposed to be a swing state but it feels pretty red right now.

And again tonight I say, ugh. Seriously, the hell is wrong with Florida?

Pretty good. Looks like I'm going to likely be having a C-Section a little early, so baby is going to be here sooner than I expected, but not terribly so.

Oh, wow. Funny how that stuff works sometimes, huh? Glad to hear things are going well-hope the C-Section goes well, too.

Guy more or less calls his black opponent a monkey and still wins.

Man, fuck Florida.

Maybe this is too early of a hot-take, but I think one lesson of this election is that Trump’s normalization of horrifying rhetoric has stuck and is acceptable to large swathes of the electorate, which is terrible.

Some of the tough races in the Senate for Democrats tonight were miraculous wins in 2012 because of horrendous candidates who said horrible things, namely Richard “Rape Is a Gift From God” Mourdock of Indiana and Todd “Legitimate Rape” Akin of Missouri.

I have a hunch that if they could have gotten away with saying those things in 2018 in a way they did not in 2012.

What I think is clear tonight is this...

Trump didn't win because of the rural vote in 2016. He won because of the suburban vote, specifically in the rust belt.

This switched back to blue today.

The rural areas have stayed hardcore Trump - but the suburbs in middle America have turned on him.

If he can't get them back, his reelection map doesn't work.

Reynolds has won in Iowa.

Of the eight governor's races I mentioned earlier...

Dems have won Michigan and Kansas.

Dems have lost Ohio, Florida, Iowa, and Georgia.

Walker and Evers are still neck and neck in Wisconsin.

No idea about Nevada. No information whatsoever.

I need to go yell at my fellow Iowans :sigh:.

The GOP is now entirely the party of Trump. There are no moderate Republicans left.

Alex Wagner just said as much when talking to Colbert. It'll be interesting to see how long that party can hold on to their loyalty to Trump, depending on how the Mueller investigation shakes out and whatnot going forward.

The results tonight were more or less what I expected, but the path to reach that point was strange and frustrating.

is it too early to say the ROW is starting to breathe a collective sigh of relief and start feeling a little bit hopeful again?

Fuck yes, if things hold, at least I got one of my big wins. Rohrabacher looks like he's out!

Not to mention Scott Walker.

The GOP is now entirely the party of Trump. There are no moderate Republicans left.

Charlie Baker governor of MA is one. Won reelection last night. I voted for him, I think he's been a very good governor and obviously so do many Democrats in the state. First time I've ever voted for a Republican. He had Democratic state reps doing tv ads endorsing him. The Democrat who ran against him wasn't impressive at all, but I don't think that would have mattered if it was somebody better. At last count it was 67-33%.

The state is in good shape and he has Democratic views on social issues. He's critical of Trump too. He's a lone voice in the darkness but at least it's something. Of course if he ever runs for national office he will pull a Romney and sell out to try to win .Charlie Baker as currently constituted could never win national office as a Republican these days, he's unique to MA and will stay that way.

Romney is a Senator now, he won last night. Freaking Cruz, ugh. And Florida is so depressing to me.

Last edited:
is it too early to say the ROW is starting to breathe a collective sigh of relief and start feeling a little bit hopeful again?
Yes.

1) there's still 2 months until the Democrats take over the house, which is plenty of time for Trump to do all sorts of crazy, unchecked things.

2) never underestimate the Democrats ability to shoot themselves in the foot between now and 2020

Other than in New England, of all places. Massachusetts, Connecticut and Vermont all have (or will have) Republican governors.

And potentially Utah, depending on which Mr. Mittens decides to come to Washington.

Last edited:
My major takeaways from last night...

1) Trump's path to the Electoral College is now blocked. The rust belt, for the most part, flipped back the other way. The biggest focus for the Democratic Party over the next two years needs to be making sure it stays that way.

2) running the right candidate in the right place works in most locations. Many centrists won last night, but so did leftists. There's no one size fits all, and we need to remember that - especially when running from behind.

3) many parts of America are still pretty fucking racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom