US PolitiX -Angry Left Wing Mob Edition - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #441
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:41 AM
What do you guys think are the reasons why young people don't vote more? I think some of it is not seeing more younger politicians in office. It's hard to look at the older, mostly white male, group of politicians up in Washington and feel like they're going to do much to help younger generations, or care about the issues that affect them.

Course, then again, Bernie Sanders did manage to enthuse some younger people, so... But I think he's an exception. Fact is, we could use some more young blood in general in Washington, and at least have more of a balance between them and the older crowd.

But I'm sure there's other factors as well. I don't think it's apathy for a lot of young people, because I think a lot of them do genuinely care about what's going on in the world. But for some reason that passion doesn't translate into actual voting.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:41 AM
US PolitiX -Angry Left Wing Mob Edition

Getting married and owning a home gave me a greater sense of stake in society.

I have always voted since I was 18, eagerly, and sometimes with vengeance in mind. But getting older and having a bank account and a mortgage does change things.

Also, having to vote on a Tuesday kind of sucks.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #443
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Look, I get the notion of wanting to feel excited or enthusiastic about voting. Voting for somebody is different than voting against a concept, motivationally speaking. However, this notion of "if I don't feel enthusiastic I am unable to muster the motivation" is ridiculous nonsense. I chalk it up to age/lack of life experience. Do I feel enthusiastic going to work every day? Or cleaning up when my toddler craps his underwear yet again while yelling "I promise I won't poo in my pants again mommy!" Or cleaning the house or walking the dog or paying the bills or looking around for a decent company to replace our fence? Hell to the no. But that is part of life, sucking it up and getting it done.

God forbid my children end up having such an attitude.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
edit: never mind, carry on being ignorant assholes. it's not worth the effort.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #445
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Getting married and owning a home gave me a greater sense of stake in society.

I have always voted since I was 18, eagerly, and sometimes with vengeance in mind. But getting older and having a bank account and a mortgage does change things.

Also, having to vote on a Tuesday kind of sucks.
I hadn't considered that aspect of things, but yeah, that makes a lot of sense. That's an interesting angle to consider.

And yes, I do think if we made Election Day a national holiday/moved it to a weekend, that would make it a lot easier for young people as well.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #446
Blue Crack Distributor

For fucks sake I have a peanut allergy
Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #447
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
The truth of the matter is that historically young people vote in lower numbers than old people. Yeah, we are cracking jokes about millennials, but it's not like this is any different than Gen-X not voting in the '90s.

To me I've always been sad that the demographic that is MOST impacted is the one that doesn't vote. Hopefully that changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

In general, I get frustrated by the blanket "Young people don't vote" thing, because it feels like people give up on them from the start.

For what Irvine posted, I was SPECIFICALLY referring to that person's excuse for why they weren't voting. It was pathetically childish.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
This whole generation being told they can't do things because they have "ADHD" (with basically no diagnosis, ever, just adults telling them they do) and living with the expectation that they will be hand-held through life is just infuriating. And it's my generation and I see it in my friends all the time and it drives me nuts. At least my friends vote, though.
yea, this blanket statement about "this whole generation" is very SPECIFICALLY referring to what that person said. sure thing.

Quote:
That person is just so fucking lazy and people have told them their whole life that it's OK because they just can't concentrate.
thanks doctor - you should share your expert internet diagnosis that this random person you don't know is "just so fucking lazy" and doesn't really experience what they're telling you they experience with their physician (who apparently doesn't exist, since you seem to be able to assert somehow that they've never bothered to get actual medical help), as you clearly know everything there is to know here based off a couple lines of text.

my brother has had ADHD for nearly 25 years. some days he's barely able to function and some days if he told you he had ADHD you might wonder because he can get through a lot of days quite normally with medication and the techniques he's developed over the years to help him focus. he still has been accused of faking it and being lazy/stupid/incompetent so many times that it's had real psychological effects on him in the past. nice to know that there are some here who would gleefully pile on if he said a couple sentences to the media about his illness that people don't like
Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #449
Blue Crack Distributor

Your anecdotal evidence and mine are two sides of a coin. I have a step-brother who also very clearly has ADHD and a # of other mental issues as well. He is diagnosed, medicated and has *never* used it as an excuse for why he doesn't do things, like vote in this example.

Friends of mine who all grew up with the same elementary school teacher as one of our friend's mom's have all been arm-chair diagnosed by her as having ADHD. My best friend and her daughter have no such actual diagnosis, they're just told by her that they're clearly ADHD, and they use it as an excuse *constantly* for why they spend too much money, or get bored at work, or what have you. She told me I had ADHD and I basically just went, "Yeah, well...that's not really what my psychologist thinks, but I will ask him about it." and we've never discussed it again.

She's not the only teacher I know of who does that. THAT is what I am referring to. And the excuses being made by my friends feel an awful lot like what the guy in Irvine's post was doing, again what I was referring it.

The whole thing is as frustrating to me as when I hear people laugh about their "OCD" as someone clinically diagnosed and constantly suffering from the disorder.

So, yeah, I'm sorry about your brother, but that doesn't change the intent or meaning of my post.

Also, ffs, that guy is not in this conversation, I don't know him, I'm not speaking to him. Unless he's you, no I'm not soliciting advice to him or telling him he doesn't actually have a problem. Again, I'm speaking to my own anecdotal experiences, LIKE WE ALL DO.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

it's almost as if everyone's experiences with illnesses and diseases are wildly different and subjective, and accusing anyone of faking it (especially a total stranger you know nothing about) without definitive proof of that is a shitty thing to do
Old 10-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #451
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
it's almost as if everyone's experiences with illnesses and diseases are wildly different and subjective, and accusing anyone of faking it (especially a total stranger you know nothing about) without definitive proof of that is a shitty thing to do
I didn't say he's faking it, I said that he has a good chance of being one of the many many people in the United States who are overdiagnosed with the disorder. If you'd like, I can provide scientific data to go with that.

What I said is he was told he has ADHD. Possibly by a doctor, possibly by a teacher. He has identified himself with that and used it as an excuse for why he's not voting, instead of actually just trying to vote. It's frustrating to read. We're a week out from the election and he's like, "nah, I think my ADHD is going to prevent that." I'm sorry but that's really frustrating, again as someone of the same age group, and also someone who has a mental disorder. If you let it define you like that, it's really just a shame.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #452
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
What do you guys think are the reasons why young people don't vote more?

Course, then again, Bernie Sanders did manage to enthuse some younger people, so... But I think he's an exception.
You kind of answered your own question.

Most candidates (talking major office specifically) just don't connect with young voters.
In recent history I'd say JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama were probably the only presidential candidates who younger voters felt any connection to. (Not certain actual numbers would back this up, but certainly felt that way to me in the cases of Clinton and Obama, wasn't around for JFK but have read and been told plenty about him. Specifically remember Clinton going on MTV with Tabitha Soren and playing Sax with Arsenio Hall's band. Those of us in our 20's at the time found him to be the "cool" candidate.)

Not surprisingly they are 3 of the 5 youngest elected to the office in history.

To get young voters out, the Dems in 2020 need to find a reasonably young, energetic candidate who younger voters to whom younger voters can somewhat relate.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #453
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Look, voter turnout amongst the young IS an issue. They have consistently voted less than older people for well, always. As a member of the "slacker" generation I heard it constantly in the '90s. I think that young people in general do want to be inspired, as you can see in the chart on that page, there are spikes in '92 and '08. As a 14 year old in 1992, I remember desperately wanting to be able to vote for Bill Clinton.

Do I think this current generation is more politically aware, yes. I work on a college campus, and have for 20 years. I've seen the generational shift first hand, and do think they care. With the college kids, it IS harder to vote. They either have to plan way ahead and absentee in their home state, or wade through the local laws to register in their college towns. Some states are specifically making it HARDER for college kids to vote. But then you see a quote like the one from Irvine's post and you want to smack him.

But hey, I'm just an ignorant asshole.

Voter Turnout Demographics - United States Elections Project

PS. Get off my lawn!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #454
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Do I think this current generation is more politically aware, yes. I work on a college campus, and have for 20 years. I've seen the generational shift first hand, and do think they care. With the college kids, it IS harder to vote. They either have to plan way ahead and absentee in their home state, or wade through the local laws to register in their college towns. Some states are specifically making it HARDER for college kids to vote. But then you see a quote like the one from Irvine's post and you want to smack him.

This is true, it's the reason I only voted once while I was in college (and it was just the Indiana primary, because I was all-aboard the Hillary train back in 2008) and it was such a PITA and it was so obvious Obama was going to win, I didn't bother again, and I definitely didn't vote in mid-terms for that reason, either. So, at least for college-aged students, that's makes sense. And I chastise myself for it now, it was lazy. So, yeah, consider me part of that statistic as well, who also has become more civically-aware with age.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I didn't say he's faking it, I said that he has a good chance of being one of the many many people in the United States who are overdiagnosed with the disorder. If you'd like, I can provide scientific data to go with that.

What I said is he was told he has ADHD. Possibly by a doctor, possibly by a teacher. He has identified himself with that and used it as an excuse for why he's not voting, instead of actually just trying to vote. It's frustrating to read. We're a week out from the election and he's like, "nah, I think my ADHD is going to prevent that." I'm sorry but that's really frustrating, again as someone of the same age group, and also someone who has a mental disorder. If you let it define you like that, it's really just a shame.
well no, you started by talking about people never getting diagnosed and then just assuming they have it because someone told them, then in the very next sentence you accused him straight up of being "just so fucking lazy" and asserted that "people have told them their whole life that it's OK because they just can't concentrate." you know absolutely nothing about this person that would let you make such a definitive assertion like that.

maybe he is exaggerating, maybe he's telling the truth. but none of us have any way of knowing that. people have all sorts of phobias, illnesses, and traumas that get triggered by things that the rest of society would find utterly ridiculous, but that doesn't invalidate the experience that person has gone through.

he's certainly not off the mark when he says that unless something has an immediate or short-term payoff that it's hard to get motivated for, that's not "so fucking lazy", that's like literally one of the main symptoms of ADHD. my brother joe has dealt with this exact thing too, and it's cost him jobs, relationships, money, you name it. everything that person said makes sense and pretty evidently comes from someone who genuinely has to deal with ADHD.

yes i wish he could find a way to deal with it and go vote, i wish everyone could. but nothing he said deserved the response he got here, that's for sure.

anyways, i'm sorry for getting worked up but the replies to that hit a little close to home for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:41 AM
https://twitter.com/juliadavisnews/s...487120386?s=21
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #457
Blue Crack Distributor

They've been all up on this over on Reddit this morning. A lot of different theories about what the end goal is meant to be, but I'm feeling optimistic that it seems like the FBI and MSM are getting out ahead of this big reveal that's supposed to happen tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #458
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:41 AM
So, they are tracing the attempted bribes, and these guys are DUMB. The "men" involved are Jack Burkman who also tried to pay people in regards the Seth Rich murder investigation, and everyone's favorite LA hipster coffee shop frequenter Jacob Wohl. Apperently, a company tied to this Surefire media, has a phone number registered to Wohl's mom.

They aren't smart.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #459
Blue Crack Distributor

Just left a hipster coffee shop and man the things they're saying about Bob Mueller
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #460
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
You kind of answered your own question.

Most candidates (talking major office specifically) just don't connect with young voters.
In recent history I'd say JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama were probably the only presidential candidates who younger voters felt any connection to. (Not certain actual numbers would back this up, but certainly felt that way to me in the cases of Clinton and Obama, wasn't around for JFK but have read and been told plenty about him. Specifically remember Clinton going on MTV with Tabitha Soren and playing Sax with Arsenio Hall's band. Those of us in our 20's at the time found him to be the "cool" candidate.)

Not surprisingly they are 3 of the 5 youngest elected to the office in history.

To get young voters out, the Dems in 2020 need to find a reasonably young, energetic candidate who younger voters to whom younger voters can somewhat relate.
My question was mostly to see if people had any theories outside the usual/obvious ones of politicians failing to connect and voter disenfranchisement and such. Like the things Irvine mentioned in his post.

But yes, it amazes me how the Democrats aren't doing more to continue following the playbook of those three notable politicians when it comes to getting out young voters, both in the presidential elections and in the midterms.

(That, of course, is another issue we need to resolve, making the midterms just as important as the presidential elections.)

Quote:
So, they are tracing the attempted bribes, and these guys are DUMB. The "men" involved are Jack Burkman who also tried to pay people in regards the Seth Rich murder investigation, and everyone's favorite LA hipster coffee shop frequenter Jacob Wohl. Apperently, a company tied to this Surefire media, has a phone number registered to Wohl's mom.

They aren't smart.
Like I said before, if we can find any upside to the Trump administration and their cronies' scandals and scams, it's that they apparently do a really shitty job of trying to cover their tracks.

So much crap keeping the FBI busy-I'm convinced nobody there has gotten any sleep in a good, long while.