US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen a Friday news dump quite like this afternoon's. Wow.

Just for the record, these were:

1 The over the horizon Afghan drone strike was a mistake and killed 10 Afghan civilians, some delivering jugs of water to homes. No ISIS members involved. Unfortunately described as a 'righteous strike' earlier by our CJCS.
2 The FDA voted 16-2 to delay the administration's booster plans, with the exception of old folks and other folks w/ risky comorbidities. LN7 alluded to this one.
3 France pulled it's U.S. ambassador. They'll be back eventually. However it does come about a month to the day after President Biden was held in contempt by the UK Parliament.

This news is from earlier, also but not mentioned here either. President Biden had a 'perfect call' with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani on 23 July:
https://www.reuters.com/world/excerpts-call-between-joe-biden-ashraf-ghani-july-23-2021-08-31/

BIDEN: You know, I am a moment late. But I mean it sincerely. Hey look, I want to make it clear that I am not a military man any more than you are, but I have been meeting with our Pentagon folks, and our national security people, as you have with ours and yours, and as you know and I need not tell you the perception around the world and in parts of Afghanistan, I believe, is that things aren’t going well in terms of the fight against the Taliban.

And there’s a need, whether it is true or not, there is a need to project a different picture.

BIDEN: If you empower Bismillah [Defense Minister Bismillah Khan Mohammadi] to execute a strategy focused on key parts of the population centers, and I’m not a military guy, so I’m not telling you what that plan should precisely look like, you’re going to get not only more help, but you’re going to get a perception that is going to change in terms of how , um…[unclear].. our allies and folks here in the States and other places think you’re doing.

You clearly have the best military, you have 300,000 well-armed forces versus 70-80,000 and they’re clearly capable of fighting well, we will continue to provide close air support, if we know what the plan is and what we are doing. And all the way through the end of August, and who knows what after that.

But I really think, I don’t know whether you’re aware, just how much the perception around the world is that this is looking like a losing proposition, which it is not, not that it necessarily is that, but so the conclusion I’m asking you to consider is to bring together everyone from [Former Vice President Abdul Rashid] Dostum, to [Former President Hamid] Karzai and in between, if they stand there and say they back the strategy you put together, and put a warrior in charge, you know a military man, [Defense Minister Bismillah] Khan in charge of executing that strategy, and that will change perception, and that will change an awful lot I think.

GHANI: Mr. President, we are facing a full-scale invasion, composed of Taliban, full Pakistani planning and logistical support, and at least 10-15,000 international terrorists, predominantly Pakistanis thrown into this, so that dimension needs to be taken account of.

I think it's safe to assume that no one here would ever defend that drone strike. It's sickening murder of innocent civilians. But thanks for being the only honest broker of FYM.

I think it's safe to assume that no one here would ever defend that drone strike. It's sickening murder of innocent civilians. But thanks for being the only honest broker of FYM.

The drone strike was an honest error in the fog of war. I very firmly believe that. This particular one was eventually sniffed out by the international media....probably since it was a very high visibility attack. But exactly how you'd hope the media would do its work.

And please don't accuse me of being an honest broker, Mrs. S. :) But thank ya. I've been here awhile and have my own biases/hot takes that ruffle feathers. Might have more in the future. But you, and a handful of others, fit the same mold in Fym :up:

Just for the record, these were:

1 The over the horizon Afghan drone strike was a mistake and killed 10 Afghan civilians, some delivering jugs of water to homes. No ISIS members involved. Unfortunately described as a 'righteous strike' earlier by our CJCS.

2 The FDA voted 16-2 to delay the administration's booster plans, with the exception of old folks and other folks w/ risky comorbidities. LN7 alluded to this one.

3 France pulled it's U.S. ambassador. They'll be back eventually. However it does come about a month to the day after President Biden was held in contempt by the UK Parliament.

This news is from earlier, also but not mentioned here either. President Biden had a 'perfect call' with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani on 23 July:

https://www.reuters.com/world/excerpts-call-between-joe-biden-ashraf-ghani-july-23-2021-08-31/

Fail to see how this is all that remarkable? Not seeing the word “perfect” anywhere either? Far worse drone attack mistakes were made u see each of the previous presidents … nice to see that the FDA doesn’t rubber stamp administration policy (one recalls “my generals”) … and Trump would have made ducking over the French the centerpiece of his re-election campaign.

Are you stretching? Flailing to make a comparison to literally every Friday from 2017-2021? Did you see the Eastman memo? Would you emoji that with something cutesy and suggest we’re a predicable, excitable bunch here?

The fact that we had a legitimate attempt at a coup and overthrow of the government as well as the will of the people, and we literally have just shrugged our shoulders means we are not ready for the next one. Which will be successful if nothing continues to be done about it.

Could you imagine if Obama tried to stay in power for a third term ? Or if Hilary had tried to fight 2016 in the courts like Trump ?

Trump has broken multiple laws (not just election) yet the dude is treated like a kid. Just let him tire himself out!!

Assuming he doesn’t pass away before 2024 he’s still the leader of the party and I’m convinced he’d probably still win the nomination if he was dead. GQP would Weekend at Bernie it

The next news cycle is going to be over the debt ceiling. Let’s see if Mitch is willing to let the economy crash and burn for a return to power

The drone strike was an honest error in the fog of war. I very firmly believe that. This particular one was eventually sniffed out by the international media....probably since it was a very high visibility attack. But exactly how you'd hope the media would do its work.

And please don't accuse me of being an honest broker, Mrs. S. :) But thank ya. I've been here awhile and have my own biases/hot takes that ruffle feathers. Might have more in the future. But you, and a handful of others, fit the same mold in Fym :up:

That's not necessary, and it's rude. I would just ask where all your hot takes were during the Trump administration? All I recall is personally insulting comments directed at posters, and trolling types of comments.

That's not necessary, and it's rude. I would just ask where all your hot takes were during the Trump administration? All I recall is personally insulting comments directed at posters, and trolling types of comments.

This. These cutesy little drive-by posts with minimal engagement are beyond tired and old.

Here's the thing: the Democrats are perfectly capable of criticizing Biden's actions on our own (and what's more, we don't censure people in our own party who dare to criticize Biden, either! Imagine that!). We have done that, and we will continue to do that. We do not need additional commentary from the peanut gallery, who are so desperate to try and make Biden sound as bad as, if not worse than, Trump in an attempt to distract everyone from the absolute shitshow that is their party.

If those on the right want to worry about anything, maybe they should keep their focus on cleaning up the mess within their own party, and try actually holding some of their own people accountable for a change. I want to see the right call out people like Gaetz, Jordan, Boebert, DeSantis, Abbott, Cawthorn, et al. I want to see them join the Democrats en masse in supporting an investigation into what happened on January 6th. I want see them actually stop inviting Trump to speak at events, or going to meet him at Mar-a-Lago, and cut him off from their party entirely. I want to see them calling out Fox News/Newsmax/OAN for spreading dangerous and deadly lies and misinformation about the vaccine. If they ever were to miraculously one day start doing that, then I would start to care about what they have to say about Biden.

Until then, they can sit down and be quiet.

The last two lines of my last comment were a self-deprecating joke, and then a compliment to you at the end. The internet doesn't always translate what someone is trying to get across. Not my intention to wind you up there and I apologize.

On the Trump Administration, I agreed with many and not all of his policy ideas and criticized his personal behavior, which was routinely unpresidential. Post-election 2020 was a completely different story.

I 'will' challenge you on the personally insulting comments claim, though.

Interference is not a sarcasm-free zone, and smug comments used to be posted on some forums 24/7, when there was better traffic. It's part of the appeal of this U2 site, and particularly Fym. I do my best not to get personal, going on 17 years around here.

I care about what is happening at the border. Haitian people being treated like animals by "officers" on horses is appalling and against everything the US used to stand for.

Don't know what the hell is going on-isn't VP Harris supposed to be "in charge" of the border crisis?

Democrats claimed all kinds of moral superiority over Trump regarding border issues. That's really looking like an epic fail now-there is no excuse for it.

I 'will' challenge you on the personally insulting comments claim, though.

Interference is not a sarcasm-free zone, and smug comments used to be posted on some forums 24/7, when there was better traffic. It's part of the appeal of this U2 site, and particularly Fym. I do my best not to get personal, going on 17 years around here.

Sarcasm and smug is often used here as a disguise for what is really personally insulting. In the many years I have been around here I didn't care for that, and I don't now. The end.

Are you stretching? Flailing to make a comparison to literally every Friday from 2017-2021? Did you see the Eastman memo? Would you emoji that with something cutesy and suggest we’re a predicable, excitable bunch here?

There aren't too many surprises coming from any side of the spectrum :shrug:

E_wgyaaVUA8QxOx

I’m not sure what’s so wrong about “get that sellout piece of shit out of here.” I think it’s fair for black people to perceive black republicans as sellouts and that’s not on the same radar as a woman wearing a gorilla mask throwing stuff at a black man (which is shameful).
So do I.
Bashing Dr King AND -omg- Reparations for Slave OWNERS (descendents?) Thought I'd fall outta my chair
when I heard that!
Normally I wouldn't use the term (I've never used the tern) since it's not my place to do so - but Day-um the man's a Double-stuffed Oreo!

yes i hope he does too, and lays out clearly under oath for us all how much of a giant pathetic whiny loser manbaby that trump was after he lost bigly.
Heh, heh heh!

this is normally where i'd post a "happy election day, go vote" to my fellow canadians, but since anitram and dabiggest only seem to pop in rarely these days, i think i might just be saying it to myself...?

anyways, hooray for canada.
I thought of you.

It seems like the previous administration trying to overthrow the will of the people should be a bigger story than missing white girls or anything else besides Covid.

Trump Admin and their lawyers, servants, etc literally tried everything. Lawsuits, this crazy six step outline, and violence

https://twitter.com/jrubinblogger/status/1440715646409457671?s=21

Bannon just admitted he talked to drumph about Jan 6.

I care about what is happening at the border. Haitian people being treated like animals by "officers" on horses is appalling and against everything the US used to stand for.

Don't know what the hell is going on-isn't VP Harris supposed to be "in charge" of the border crisis?

Democrats claimed all kinds of moral superiority over Trump regarding border issues. That's really looking like an epic fail now-there is no excuse for it.
Yeah, I saw the photos! NOT good! :(

Since this subject has been debated here in the past...

HuffPost

Mary Trump Pulls No Punches When Naming Her ‘Stupidest’ Relative

Thu, September 23, 2021

Mary Trump was asked “what the hell is going on” with her cousin, Donald Trump Jr., and didn’t hold back.

In this week’s episode of the “UnPresidented” podcast, Donald Trump’s niece described her cousin as “weak” and a suck-up who was ultimately “left in the dust” by his father, the former president.

Trump Jr. is “like many other people in my family,” said Mary Trump, a psychologist who has become one of the fiercest critics of her uncle and his children. “He has no core. He has no ideology.”

Donald Trump Jr. will “out-racism anybody, he’ll out-misogyny anybody, he’ll shoot as many innocent animals as possible to get whatever passes for affection in my family,” she continued.

“Donnie is a deeply unintelligent person. I’ve been asked this, who’s the stupidest one, and it’s him,” added Mary Trump.

Since this subject has been debated here in the past...

HuffPost

Mary Trump Pulls No Punches When Naming Her ‘Stupidest’ Relative

Thu, September 23, 2021

Mary Trump was asked “what the hell is going on” with her cousin, Donald Trump Jr., and didn’t hold back.

In this week’s episode of the “UnPresidented” podcast, Donald Trump’s niece described her cousin as “weak” and a suck-up who was ultimately “left in the dust” by his father, the former president.

Trump Jr. is “like many other people in my family,” said Mary Trump, a psychologist who has become one of the fiercest critics of her uncle and his children. “He has no core. He has no ideology.”

Donald Trump Jr. will “out-racism anybody, he’ll out-misogyny anybody, he’ll shoot as many innocent animals as possible to get whatever passes for affection in my family,” she continued.

“Donnie is a deeply unintelligent person. I’ve been asked this, who’s the stupidest one, and it’s him,” added Mary Trump.

It's fair to point out a president's dopey adult kid.

Try googling 'hunter biden laptop' and 'hunter biden libya' soon. Choose your own news outlet.

I think the difference between Hunter Biden and Donald Trump Jr. is that Jr. was a prominent member of his father’s administration. It’s not clear to me that Hunter Biden is involved at all in the Biden administration.

The point there is that even if you have legitimate criticisms of him, there’s a routine attempt to associate Hunter Biden to Joe Biden’s presidency. That does work for Jr., it doesn’t work for Hunter.

I think the difference between Hunter Biden and Donald Trump Jr. is that Jr. was a prominent member of his father’s administration. It’s not clear to me that Hunter Biden is involved at all in the Biden administration.

The point there is that even if you have legitimate criticisms of him, there’s a routine attempt to associate Hunter Biden to Joe Biden’s presidency. That does work for Jr., it doesn’t work for Hunter.

Good lord, seriously, this.

It does seem particularly cruel to go after one of a man’s few surviving children after he’s buried two of them, especially one who has never sought political influence, doesn’t pick fights on Twitter, or cuts deals with the Chinese government for clothing lines.

But the cruelty is the point.

Ah Hunter...the new Hillary's emails. Even in response to an innocuous post.

Don Jr is dumb as a box of rocks, and was probably not given a WH job because he's not as attractive on the outside as Ivanka. Also because his own father reportedly isn't fond of him.

I have complete empathy for dysfunctional families, but not when the head honcho has his finger on the button ( yes I know that's not real) and the WH is nepotism central. Don Jr would be much better served by therapy vs lashing out at others constantly on Twitter and slaughtering animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom