US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of you are like the people that have been ran out of town. I think you both do yourself a genuine disservice when you choose not to respond or defend yourself.

Yeah, you’ll find that your views aren’t going to be liked by the some 10-15 people still standing. But every time you equate yourself to those people, you’re probably doing so because of the fact that you get similar treatment to them. Instead, speak up and show that you’re your own person.

And need I remind everyone that “those people” have had their darker sides exposed and most would not want to be associated with them.

Appreciate that, LN7, I think :)

Read and heard it all (and then some) in Fym in 16+ years. I don't mind that the handful of posts I might make nowadays are inconvenient.

In some ways the current forum is more interesting now than it ever was.

It’s hard to believe I’m agreeing with and postings Ross Douthat column, but this struck me as about where I am:

Thus you have generals and grand strategists who presided over quagmire, folly and defeat fanning out across the television networks and opinion pages to champion another 20 years in Afghanistan. You have the return of the media’s liberal hawks and centrist Pentagon stenographers, unchastened by their own credulous contributions to the retreat of American power over the past 20 years. And you have Republicans who postured as cold-eyed realists in the Trump presidency suddenly turning back into eager crusaders, excited to own the Biden Democrats and relive the brief post-9/11 period when the mainstream media treated their party with deference rather than contempt.

Again, Biden deserves plenty of criticism. But like the Trump administration in its wiser moments, he is trying to disentangle America from a set of failed policies that many of his loudest critics long supported.

Our botched withdrawal is the punctuation mark on a general catastrophe, a failure so broad that it should demand purges in the Pentagon, the shamed retirement of innumerable hawkish talking heads, the razing of various NGOs and international-studies programs and the dissolution of countless consultancies and military contractors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/opinion/afghanistan-biden.html?referringSource=articleShare

In my most cynical moments, all our foolish adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan simply amount to massive money laundering.

U.S. officials provided Taliban with names of Americans, Afghan allies to evacuate

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/...of-americans-afghan-allies-to-evacuate-506957

E-E0O1sVIAQpebM

I mean, we said this would happen, right? Back in 2016? Pretty sure this was forecast as a co sequence of voting for Jill fucking Stein or Gary fucking Johnson.

Good luck, women of Texas. This is how they work to trap you into an endless cycle of poverty.

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1433278317269028865?s=21

The Democrats need to wake up now and realize they have the power to change any and all of this

But they would rather let a racist archaic rule “prevent” them from saving any chance at democracy.

You can bet every red state will draft the same damn legislation over night with the purple states running GOP candidates to do the same.

The suffering of women and minorities should not be worth the filibuster

i like the "x should have been aborted" take about as much as i like the "we should abandon the good people who happen to live in shitty states to their fate in a dystopic hellhole" take

Apples and oranges. Can hardly hop into a DeLorean to slide a coat hanger up Mrs Abbott, but we can most definitely support and aid the good people of Texas and Afghanistan.

Let people be angry. The man’s actions have disenfranchised, harmed and flat out killed his constituents. A little caustic humour isn’t going to hurt anyone like he already has.

I love how the right is outraged by 13 soldiers (suckers) that died but don't acknowledge that this withdrawal was already set in motion when Trump was in office.

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1433278317269028865?s=21

The Democrats need to wake up now and realize they have the power to change any and all of this

But they would rather let a racist archaic rule “prevent” them from saving any chance at democracy.

You can bet every red state will draft the same damn legislation over night with the purple states running GOP candidates to do the same.

The suffering of women and minorities should not be worth the filibuster

they don't, though. the democrats do NOT have the power to do this - because there are two democratic senators who won't go along with it. it's disingenuous to say "the democrats" or "biden" has the power to change this. they don't. at least right now. Manchin has the power, and he's not interested. all the pressure in the world isn't going to change that because if he flips? West Virginia will vote him out in a heartbeat. and then what?

you need purple candidates to win purple districts. without Manchin and Sinema the republicans would control the senate and absolutely nothing would have gotten done this year - and without purple congresspersons in the house the republicans probably would have impeached Biden over Major biting a secret service member by now.

but you need to have actual control - not control by a technicality (i.e. two independents caucusing with you and the veep as the tie breaker just to pass even budgetary issues). if the democrats want to change things, they need more seats.

it would be fantastic if Manchin grew a set and said "you know what? I know it will make me lose my seat, but it's the right thing to do." but, uh, that's not happening.

and even if it did? guess what... the democrats STILL need more seats, because if you lose Manchin, you lose the senate.

republicans spent decades eating away at local races, shaping the judiciary and polluting all of our sources of news with their propaganda. one defeat of an extraordinarily unpopular, unfit and unqualified president (who still probably only lost because of COVID) and technical control of the senate by the slimmest of slim margins isn't going to change that.

what's happened in Texas has been inevitable since 2016. if Clinton wins the democrats would conceivably have the same 6-3 advantage in the supreme court right now, and this wouldn't have happened. but, you know, she was the same as trump and her emails or some shit.

Last edited:
I love how the right is outraged by 13 soldiers (suckers) that died but don't acknowledge that this withdrawal was already set in motion when Trump was in office.

yeah they're suckers for getting blown up by a suicide bomber while guarding the largest humanitarian refugee airlift in history! lol what a bunch of morons those dead soldiers were amirite? hilarious.

Last edited:
So many in Texas won't wear a mask or get vaccinated because of muh freedom. But they sure do want to restrict the freedom of women to make our own choices. And they continue to protect the lives of the unborn-but protect the health and lives of their fellow men women and children from covid...not so much. All lives matter?

As for politicians they will always sacrifice women, minorities, even children (see Sandy Hook and all other school shootings. Also DeSantis Florida schools). Rich white guy lives matter.

Yes, Democrats need to win more. And this means purple candidates in purple states.

But we also have to take into account the anti-democracy mendacity of certain individuals who have gotten us to this point, like refusing to fill a vacant SCOTUS seat. We all let him get away with that (or at least enough KY voters did), but his willingness to lie/cheat/steal is a big part of this.

I’m much more pessimistic than others.

I do not see how the democrats win 2024 (and possibly 2022) with all that’s going on with voter suppression and the inability to pass the legislation to help combat this.

We had 80 million people vote for democracy in 2020 and yet it still almost wasn’t enough due to the EC. Those few states that went to Biden, AZ MI GA WI, separated by 40,000 some votes. PA was also somewhat close

I hope I’m wrong and we have even better turnout and we add seats or very least just hold on.

If the GQP take the house it will be impeachment’s every other day. The days they don’t file articles, they’ll hold hearings on Afghanistan or how Biden didn’t win the 2020 election.

We are also seeing 3rd wave peak in hospitalizations in the summer , and with a fucking vaccine….what is winter going to bring ? The kids vaccine is rumored for approval by end of November.

Losing control of the virus thanks to anti vax, GQP death cult could harm Biden, especially if kids start to become the face of the pandemic.

I get that we have some Purple Dems, but if they cannot see the grave danger our country is in, using TX as the poster child for the future of Red / Southern states, then they are just as much to blame as McConnel and others

Is Susan Collins ok?
-snerk-

at most she's "concerned"?
they don't, though. the democrats do NOT have the power to do this - because there are two democratic senators who won't go along with it. it's disingenuous to say "the democrats" or "biden" has the power to change this. they don't. at least right now. Manchin has the power, and he's not interested. all the pressure in the world isn't going to change that because if he flips? West Virginia will vote him out in a heartbeat. and then what?

you need purple candidates to win purple districts. without Manchin and Sinema the republicans would control the senate and absolutely nothing would have gotten done this year - and without purple congresspersons in the house the republicans probably would have impeached Biden over Major biting a secret service member by now.

but you need to have actual control - not control by a technicality (i.e. two independents caucusing with you and the veep as the tie breaker just to pass even budgetary issues). if the democrats want to change things, they need more seats.

it would be fantastic if Manchin grew a set and said "you know what? I know it will make me lose my seat, but it's the right thing to do." but, uh, that's not happening.

and even if it did? guess what... the democrats STILL need more seats, because if you lose Manchin, you lose the senate.

republicans spent decades eating away at local races, shaping the judiciary and polluting all of our sources of news with their propaganda. one defeat of an extraordinarily unpopular, unfit and unqualified president (who still probably only lost because of COVID) and technical control of the senate by the slimmest of slim margins isn't going to change that.

what's happened in Texas has been inevitable since 2016. if Clinton wins the democrats would conceivably have the same 6-3 advantage in the supreme court right now, and this wouldn't have happened. but, you know, she was the same as trump and her emails or some shit.
Im afraid you're mostly right.
And I definitely remember reading stuff way back as how the republicans are rebuilding their party from the ground up (local, State) to get to the bigger offices.

Plus :censored::censored: Gingrich, and Paul Weyrich!

But a :der: question?
Who's the second Independent?
Bernie, sure, but _________? :der:

As for politicians they will always sacrifice women, minorities, even children (see Sandy Hook and all other school shootings. Also DeSantis Florida schools). Rich white guy lives matter.
A bit over generalized (imho) still way too much true.

One of my Liberal Texan friends of my age does have a daughter. My friend has a seriously disabled husband (not all age related) that she worries over, and now she has to extra worry about her daughter's safety!

It. Is. Terrifying. Infuriating. :ohmy::depressed::no::yikes::scream::scream::scream:

Someday more people will think of women as
people first, instead of "broodmares" (of course good mothers are to be blessed). But not today. :sad:

I’m not all that pessimistic about 2024 … what Trump had in the eyes of some voters, that is basically inimitable, is that he wasn’t a “politician” and pulled off the magic trick of making whites without college degreees feel as if he was on their side. He turned out folks consistently missed by pollsters, the same pollsters who basically got it right in 2008 and 2012. Trump disrupts their models.

No one buys that bullshit from Ted Cruz. Or Rubio. Or anyone I can think of. They are all from the same factory.

2022 I have no idea. I guess I agree the House looks bad (?) but the Senate seems quite winnable.

James Comey & Bill DeBlasio are two political figures able to unify the left and the right… in disdain for them.

Since Trump is only up by 1% it's definitely rigged!

Newsweek.com

Donald Trump Beats Joe Biden in 2024 Election Poll

BY JACK DUTTON ON 9/06/21 AT 5:24 AM EDT

A national Emerson College Poll found that if the two men were to go head-to-head in 2024, Trump would be slightly favored with 47 percent against Biden's 46 percent.

Biden has split job approval among registered voters, the poll found. It said that around 47 percent disapprove and 46 percent approve of the work he is doing as president. The other 7 percent were undecided.

Of the Democrats polled, 60 percent said they would see Biden as the 2024 presidential nominee, while 39 percent said they would rather it be someone else.

Of the Republican voters polled, 67 percent said they would vote for Trump in a hypothetical GOP primary with seven other candidates, including Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (the only candidate to reach double-digit support at 10 percent when the former president is in the race) , former Vice President Mike Pence, Texas Senator Ted Cruz and former South Carolina Governor and ex-UN Ambassador Nikki Haley.

When placed head-to-head in a hypothetical 2024 presidential race, Biden is favorite to win against all of the other Republican challengers, including DeSantis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom