US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I'm not supposed to mention Trump.

But he's even having his own statements deleted from his web site in an effort to manipulate history and people.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08/donald-trump-joe-biden-afghanistan

Btw how come Trump and his supporters blamed his failures (they were of course failures even though neither would ever admit that) on Obama and that was ok?

Trump and his predecessors, including Obama, all share blame for this debacle in Afghanistan. So does Biden, I have already criticized him here.

Apparently Kabul is much calmer today (as it was also calmer yesterday) and the panic has subsided a bit and people are getting out.

It could get better.

Pulling out of Afghanistan is the first thing Biden has done as president that actually has me impressed with him. Did not expect it, did not think it was going to happen, very pleasantly surprised.

By all means, wake us up.

Thanks, Diemen ;)

I hope the G7 conversations tomorrow can help to rebuild relationships with our allies. Some of us are aware of the pointed comments they have directed at the U.S. in the past week or so. Our administration sorely needs their advice now.

And I sincerely hope August 31 is another fake red line.

i'm reading we'll have evacuated 100,000 from Afghanistan people by the weekend.

that looks remarkably ... competent.

The massive evacuation job is obviously good news, but the entire withdrawal has been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm not sure what the alternative was - this was a plan set in motion by the Trump administration. Biden extended the deadline from May to September - but the evacuations and plans for the eventual fall of the country should have started sooner. That there would be corruption and that Afghani forces would fold without a fight is not something that should have been that surprising.

It's an all around failure by four separate administrations as well as the UN and the international community.

I have zero issues with the original intent of going to war in Afghanistan, and without doing my research I would venture to guess neither do most Americans. I also have zero issues with not wanting to continue the war forever, and again, would venture to guess neither do most Americans.

But there should have been a better plan than this. I'm not saying we needed to have a permanent role in peace keeping similar to what we see in Korea, but to just let 20 years evaporate as if we were never there just leaves a bad taste - especially in light of the Taliban's comments today that "UBL had nothing to do with 9/11" and with ISIS' increased presence in the country.

We might be out now, but I'd put good money on us being forced to return in relatively short order.

Welp, back to a Republican president (and House, obviously) in 2024. Today was an embarrassment.

CNN reporting 60 Afghan civilians killed, 140 wounded.

They think ISIS K did it. The people in that area were supposedly all being searched by hand. Speculation that they could have used a female suicide bomber, because members of the Taliban won't touch females.

Taliban released ISIS fighters (their enemies) from prisons when they took over the country.

Last edited:
Biden couldn’t help himself putting blame on Trump in his press conference today when asked if he takes full responsibility for today.

"I forget that Trump pledged to withdraw first and let the Taliban leader out of prison," said guys who totally want everyone to remember that the last four years happened.

Sorry, folks, but if you supported the abomination of an administration that we just lived in, the biggest threat to democracy and the union since the civil war?

Yea, why don't you kindly shut the fuck up with your moral high ground.

Last edited:
I would have to check the transcript, because I had some emails to answer at the same time.

But it was Fox nepotism Doocy who asked Biden about taking responsibility for today. Did he ever ask Trump that once about anything? I digress

My recollection is that Biden said he did, then mentioned Trump's May deadline and his deal with Taliban. Because Doocy. And because it is relevant, though not an excuse at all.

Trump also called the Taliban "great negotiators" and"tough fighters" recently. He loves him some murderous terrorists and dictators. Was Trump constantly blaming Obama (and sometimes imaginary President Hillary) ok?

I'm so bored with deflection and fingerpointing.

Biden needs to own his shit. Doesn't matter who made the mess at this point. As far as the court of public opinion is concerned, it's his to clean up.

Trumpers demanding accountability need to sit the fuck down and think about how they let their orange god run around the White House like a demented bull in a china shop without requesting so much as a sorry in 4 years.

I'm so bored with deflection and fingerpointing.

Biden needs to own his shit. Doesn't matter who made the mess at this point. As far as the court of public opinion is concerned, it's his to clean up.

Trumpers demanding accountability need to sit the fuck down and think about how they let their orange god run around the White House like a demented bull in a china shop without requesting so much as a sorry in 4 years.
Preach it from the mountaintops

Biden couldn’t help himself putting blame on Trump in his press conference today when asked if he takes full responsibility for today.
Ohhhhhhh you mean when he said this?

Despite the fact that Biden has repeatedly stated he takes responsibility for conducting the military withdrawal from Afghanistan, even Thursday in that room in front of Doocy, the Fox shill saw fit to ask him if he bore "any responsibility for the way that things have unfolded in the last two weeks." Biden channeled Jen Psaki's patience, and attempted to remind Doocy that yes, he does bear —and, indeed accepts*— responsibility for "fundamentally all that's happened of late."

Biden then attempted the impossible. No, not a completely bloodless Afghanistan withdrawal, but to extract a statement of truth and accuracy from Peter Doocy.

"You know, I wish you would one day say these things. You know as well as I do that the former president made a deal with the Taliban that he would get all American forces out of Afghanistan by May 1. In return, the commitment was made — and that was a year before — in return, he was given a commitment that the Taliban would continue to attack others, but would not attack any American forces. Remember that? I'm being serious," the president asked Doocy gently, though rather pointedly.

Doocy hemmed and hawed, and of course did not answer. Instead he tried to ask another question. Biden stuck with it, though, and said, "No, I'm asking you a question, because --"

Doocy interrupted*the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES*again, prompting Biden to say, "No, no, wait a minute. I'm asking you a question. Is that the accurate to the best of your knowledge?"

Do you think people have an issue with pulling out of Afghanistan, or just the way that things have happened?"

At this point, President Biden put his head down on his hands in disgust at this POS. For some reason, though, he answered the question.

"I think they have an issue that people are likely to get hurt, some as we've seen have gotten killed, and that it is messy. The reason why, whether my friend will acknowledge it or has reported it, the reason why there were no attacks on Americans as you said, or attacks in America from that date until I came into office, was because the commitment was made by President Trump, 'I will be out by May 1st. In the meantime you agree not to attack any Americans.' That was the deal. That's why no Americans were attacked," Pres. Biden reiterated.

Not satisfied with the amount of attention he'd received, Doocy asked him if he stood by his decision to withdraw. Biden answered with an unequivocal "Yes."

"Yes, I do....Imagine where we would be if I had indicated on May the 1st, I was not going to re-negotiate evacuation date. We were going to stay there. I would only have one alternative. Pour thousands more troops back into Afghanistan to fight a war that we had already won, relatively, by the reasons we went in the first place." In other words, Osama Bin Ladin was dead, and Al Qaeda was vastly weakened.

Then Biden got to the meat of why we need to continue our withdrawal, no matter how messy.

"I have never been of the view that we should be sacrificing American lives to try to establish a democratic government in Afghanistan, a country that has never once in its entire history been a united country, and it is made up of -- and I don't mean this as a derogatory, made up of different tribes who have never, ever, ever gotten along with one another....Our interest in going was to prevent Al-Qaeda from reemerging, first to get Bin Laden, wipe out Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, and prevent that from happening again."

Biden emphasized that we have much larger threats a lot closer to home that need his attention. Before he walked off, he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, it was time to end a 20-year war."

Biden took full responsibility for what's happening right now.

His mention of Trump only came after a disingenuous question by (shocker) Fox News. This then led to your disingenuous bullshit "oh Biden had to mention Trump"

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhh you mean when he said this?

Biden took full responsibility for what's happening right now.

His mention of Trump only came after a disingenuous question by (shocker) Fox News. This then led to your disingenuous bullshit "oh Biden had to mention Trump"

Yup couldn’t help himself. Had to throw Trump in there somehow! When in doubt or pressed throw bad orange man under the bus. It’s tiresome really.

Biden should resign. There was nothing from what he provided yesterday that ensures confidence that he is a competent and proficient leader or commander in chief. In all his years in politics it’s more of the same.

Last edited:
Yup couldn’t help himself. Had to throw Trump in there somehow! When in doubt or pressed throw bad orange man under the bus. It’s tiresome really.

Biden should resign. There was nothing from what he provided yesterday that ensures confidence that he is a competent and proficient leader or commander in chief. In all his years in politics it’s more of the same.
[emoji1782]

Please provide the details of what should have been done differently than what’s occurred.

What would Trump have done ?

Romney ?
Cruz?
Clinton?
Anyone…

I’m guessing you must have been very upset when trump threw obama under the bus a million times too. Right, right?

Please provide the details of what should have been done differently than what’s occurred.

What would Trump have done ?

Romney ?
Cruz?
Clinton?
Anyone…

there should have been a surge in troops prior to the withdraw and a marketing friendly deadline date should not have been made public.

some details have come out - such as the state department asking americans in Afghanistan to leave the country months ago and offering to pay for their flights out - which have softened my criticism of this process a bit, but it still could have been better.

that said - getting out of this thing was always going to be messy. the logic of being angry over troops dying during a withdraw, when the alternative would have been, you know, a longer stay and more troops dying - is fairly hypocritical, but i expect nothing else from the red hat brigade.

and we don't have to wonder about what trump would have done. he's the one who made the initial agreement with the afghan government (again, didn't see the criticism then) - and, oh yea, completely abandoned our Kurfish allies, allowing them to be slaughtered, without even a haphazard attempt at an airlift evacuation like what we see here.

biden needs to own his shit - and he has. i have no issue with any non trump supporting person criticizing biden on this. the buck stops with him.

people in trump world criticizing this, however, can shampoo my crotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom