US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated! - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #981
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,179
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Maximus View Post
Like Maher said if the Democrat's talking points look like they came out of the Onion there is a message problem.
Bill Maher has everyone mad at him, again.

So he's probably onto something, again.
__________________

Bluer White is offline  
Old 09-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #982
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 11:00 PM
I’m really curious why Bill Maher is the right’s leftly saint. He’s a liberal through and through. He supported Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton thereafter. He thinks Donald Trump is a putz and a conman and a giant manbaby inept turdball.

Bill Maher has controversial but valid opinions on cancel culture and race etc., which I suspect is why he is this saint to the right. But the thing is, that man can have a valid conversation because he is in fact an honest broker. For example, with his recent news presence denouncing a black anthem as de-unifying, I would genuinely believe in his heart he feels that is de-unifying. What he probably is missing is that rhetoric is important. He is attracting people on the right who do in fact have hate in their hearts and do not Ike he concept of black celebration.

So, we can agree that Bill’s perspective is valid. Can you honestly say that Bill’s perspective is the perspective of the GOP?

The answer is no.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 09-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #983
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,179
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
So, we can agree that Bill’s perspective is valid. Can you honestly say that Bill’s perspective is the perspective of the GOP?
Not regularly, but who cares if his political takes fit in a box or not?
Bluer White is offline  
Old 09-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #984
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Not regularly, but who cares if his political takes fit in a box or not?


Well it’s why I think it’s important for you to share your views rather than covertly operating. People will just assume that you’re in your box otherwise.

Most democrats or progressives are not going to see eye to eye with some of Bill Maher’s views, but when it comes to topics that he can be controversial on, I think the conversation should most certainly be between his view and the view he’s challenging. If you’re outside of that spectrum, you deserve to be detested. If you even seem like you’re outside of that spectrum but you’re not, you owe it to what’s morally correct to establish very firmly what you do not accept (e.g. racism), otherwise you are making yourself a target to be blanketed as racist. Is that unfair? No, because the topic has to have a firm cutoff line, there is no gradient into racism. There’s a conversation on race, and there’s racists. We can’t be wasting our time trying to “listen to everyone” if not everyone wants to make it clear that they want to be in the conversation on race.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 09-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #985
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,179
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Well it’s why I think it’s important for you to share your views rather than covertly operating. People will just assume that you’re in your box otherwise.

Most democrats or progressives are not going to see eye to eye with some of Bill Maher’s views, but when it comes to topics that he can be controversial on, I think the conversation should most certainly be between his view and the view he’s challenging. If you’re outside of that spectrum, you deserve to be detested. If you even seem like you’re outside of that spectrum but you’re not, you owe it to what’s morally correct to establish very firmly what you do not accept (e.g. racism), otherwise you are making yourself a target to be blanketed as racist. Is that unfair? No, because the topic has to have a firm cutoff line, there is no gradient into racism. There’s a conversation on race, and there’s racists. We can’t be wasting our time trying to “listen to everyone” if not everyone wants to make it clear that they want to be in the conversation on race.
This is extrapolating a whole lot from two simple posts mentioning Bill Maher.
Bluer White is offline  
Old 09-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #986
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
This is extrapolating a whole lot from two simple posts mentioning Bill Maher.


As I mentioned, I’m just tired of Bill Maher being the darling liberal of the right. It’s sometimes disingenuous. I willingly read both CNN and Fox News even though I hate them both with a passion because I want to see what most of America is exposed to. Fox News has a routine habit of eye-catching article titles about some point Bill Maher has made that tells-it-like-it-is to liberals. It’s distortion though - Fox News is disingenuous. Bill Maher is a liberal, and they’re using him to further a platform that detests liberals and paints them in some vilified sense.

My bottom line here is that if we are going to say Bill Maher is on to something, why not just say what you think he’s onto? He advocates for an America of equality and has an annoying, smug, combative way of doing so. He makes himself a target to be misconstrued. It’s your choice if you want to be perceived as someone misconstruing his intention or someone who believes his point of view is the right way to do things.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #987
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,508
Local Time: 03:00 AM
https://twitter.com/politidope/statu...149917700?s=21

Most of us don’t care what Trump says anymore. It’s what he’s enabled or inspired.
BEAL is offline  
Old 09-26-2021, 11:47 PM   #988
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,716
Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
https://twitter.com/politidope/statu...149917700?s=21

Most of us don’t care what Trump says anymore. It’s what he’s enabled or inspired.
This.

I'd also add that it's hard to ignore him when the GOP keeps trying to shove him into our faces and STILL keeps trying to litigate the 2020 election over and over and over and over and over again. We'll stop talking about him when the GOP fucking let him go and quit using him to keep their party afloat. They should be joining the rest of us in demanding he go to jail for any of the numerous crimes he's committed.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #989
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 10:00 PM
youngkin is trying to walk a tightrope by playing the every man sports ball playing moderate in his commercials while preaching trumpy conspiracy theories on more conservative outlets.

i highly doubt it will work - and i'd like him to please go away.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #990
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,457
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Imagine thinking that “wokeness” makes a list of even the top 25 things to worry about.

Sure, global warming is literally torching the earth and COVID kills 2,000 people every two days (mostly in red states) but some college students somewhere are triggered by something. Let me vote in Republican authoritarianism to stop that.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #991
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,457
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Maximus View Post
You guys crack me up. You are still so obsessed by Trump that you cant see anything else going on, really an argument about who is the stupidest Trump? Are you kidding me?

I have a conspiracy, Trump was a plant by the Democrats all along, so the hoi polloi would focus on him in reality show like obsession as if he was freaking Richard Hatch or Boston Rob somebody you just tune into to hate.

This is what is wrong with this county; these obsessions that blind you from seeing how bad Biden is fire-trucking up, how our legislature is broken, why our country is in the decline. It's all one freaking Jerry Springer show after another. But it's ok you are getting your bread and circus. But instead of the Gladiators fighting it out in the arena, you get to see woke mobs killing reputations and careers, the obsession with Trump, the evil of MAGA keeps you entertained,. But don't look behind the curtain, don't see the ineptness of the emperors or how Rome is declining, keep watching the gladiatorial events, everything is great, just great.

What did this lead Rome to a split between east and west, and this will lead to a split on our country if you can't open your eyes.

I am not a Trump Supporter, I think he was an idiot. However he never become a focal point of my daily life, I simply knew he would face the electorate in 4 years, and if the dems could offer a better solution he would be out. However, if you keep obsessing on him, and don't hold your own party to account, kill the wokeness crap (all it really is fake outrage to make people feel better about themselves, it's more akin to self gratification) and focus on message and fixing problems Trump may be back in 3 years, or somebody worse. Like Maher said if the Democrat's talking points look like they came out of the Onion there is a message problem.




We have one party that wants to govern and is trying. We have another that doesn’t.

What’s wrong with the country is somehow the Democrats’ fault? This feels like telling a rape victim it’s their fault for wearing a miniskirt. Why don’t you tell red state voters to stop obsessing over the 2020 election, cut the voter suppression crap, get vaccinated, and focus on passing bipartisan things like infrastructure?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #992
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Remember, folks - it's the democrats and independents who are still obsessed with Trump, not the folks who are still blindly flowing him off a cliff.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #993
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 11:00 PM
I said Biden has fucked up plenty, that Congress is a joke, and more.

But keep beating the dumbest Trump thing into the ground so you can feel superior. Ironic, since some people have nothing of substance to post here other than chastising others.

Goodbye to the people I enjoyed here.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #994
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I said Biden has fucked up plenty, that Congress is a joke, and more.



But keep beating the dumbest Trump thing into the ground so you can feel superior. Ironic, since some people have nothing of substance to post here other than chastising others.



Goodbye to the people I enjoyed here.


I’m very confused by this post. Explain?
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 09-27-2021, 06:46 PM   #995
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,457
Local Time: 11:00 PM
I can’t believe the democrats and their wokeness are forcing the Republicans to refuse to fund the government.

Guys, Biden is such a failure.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #996
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 32,030
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I’m very confused by this post. Explain?
Sounds like she's leaving, which I hope is not the case.
Hewson is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 11:23 PM   #997
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,716
Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Imagine thinking that “wokeness” makes a list of even the top 25 things to worry about.

Sure, global warming is literally torching the earth and COVID kills 2,000 people every two days (mostly in red states) but some college students somewhere are triggered by something. Let me vote in Republican authoritarianism to stop that.
And of course, it's not like social media/news outlets like to make these "woke" debates and moments where people are expressing offense over something sound way more dramatic/outlandish than it really is, or anything. God forbid one take that into account and read up on the actual situation or debate in question before going off about how "woke culture" is supposedly ruining this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I said Biden has fucked up plenty, that Congress is a joke, and more.

But keep beating the dumbest Trump thing into the ground so you can feel superior. Ironic, since some people have nothing of substance to post here other than chastising others.

Goodbye to the people I enjoyed here.


If you're not comfortable here, I don't want to force you to stick around, but I will say that I would miss you if you stopped posting.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #998
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Sounds like she's leaving, which I hope is not the case.


I just don’t understand where the post came from
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #999
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,179
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
We have one party that wants to govern and is trying. We have another that doesn’t.
Moderate senators and congress critters will continue to have a big role right up thru the midterms.
Bluer White is offline  
Old 09-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #1000
The Fly
 
Magnus Maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 194
Local Time: 10:00 PM
I know Bill is a lefty, a lot more left then me, but we are both libertarian albeit I lean right and am a proud member of the republican liberty caucus.

It's ok to listen to the other side; I listen to Carvilles weekly Pod cast, don't agree with him a lot but he is a political genius.

I disagree with Maher on a lot of his positions especially on religion. However that doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points. I don't like Trump because I feel he was authoritarian but I liked his pro life position ( not sure if he really meant it, or it was just to run) and I liked his Supreme Court nominees. However I DO NOT want him to be President again; and if the left can't get over the Trump obsession and hold Biden accountable (it came out today he lied the American people about the Stan) guess who will be back.
__________________

Magnus Maximus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×