US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys crack me up. You are still so obsessed by Trump that you cant see anything else going on, really an argument about who is the stupidest Trump? Are you kidding me?

I have a conspiracy, Trump was a plant by the Democrats all along, so the hoi polloi would focus on him in reality show like obsession as if he was freaking Richard Hatch or Boston Rob somebody you just tune into to hate.

This is what is wrong with this county; these obsessions that blind you from seeing how bad Biden is fire-trucking up, how our legislature is broken, why our country is in the decline. It's all one freaking Jerry Springer show after another. But it's ok you are getting your bread and circus. But instead of the Gladiators fighting it out in the arena, you get to see woke mobs killing reputations and careers, the obsession with Trump, the evil of MAGA keeps you entertained,. But don't look behind the curtain, don't see the ineptness of the emperors or how Rome is declining, keep watching the gladiatorial events, everything is great, just great.

What did this lead Rome to a split between east and west, and this will lead to a split on our country if you can't open your eyes.

I am not a Trump Supporter, I think he was an idiot. However he never become a focal point of my daily life, I simply knew he would face the electorate in 4 years, and if the dems could offer a better solution he would be out. However, if you keep obsessing on him, and don't hold your own party to account, kill the wokeness crap (all it really is fake outrage to make people feel better about themselves, it's more akin to self gratification) and focus on message and fixing problems Trump may be back in 3 years, or somebody worse. Like Maher said if the Democrat's talking points look like they came out of the Onion there is a message problem.

We have one party that wants to govern and is trying. We have another that doesn’t.

What’s wrong with the country is somehow the Democrats’ fault? This feels like telling a rape victim it’s their fault for wearing a miniskirt. Why don’t you tell red state voters to stop obsessing over the 2020 election, cut the voter suppression crap, get vaccinated, and focus on passing bipartisan things like infrastructure?

I said Biden has fucked up plenty, that Congress is a joke, and more.

But keep beating the dumbest Trump thing into the ground so you can feel superior. Ironic, since some people have nothing of substance to post here other than chastising others.

Goodbye to the people I enjoyed here.

But keep beating the dumbest Trump thing into the ground so you can feel superior. Ironic, since some people have nothing of substance to post here other than chastising others.

I’m very confused by this post. Explain?

I can’t believe the democrats and their wokeness are forcing the Republicans to refuse to fund the government.

Guys, Biden is such a failure.

Imagine thinking that “wokeness” makes a list of even the top 25 things to worry about.

Sure, global warming is literally torching the earth and COVID kills 2,000 people every two days (mostly in red states) but some college students somewhere are triggered by something. Let me vote in Republican authoritarianism to stop that.

And of course, it's not like social media/news outlets like to make these "woke" debates and moments where people are expressing offense over something sound way more dramatic/outlandish than it really is, or anything. God forbid one take that into account and read up on the actual situation or debate in question before going off about how "woke culture" is supposedly ruining this country.

:hug:

If you're not comfortable here, I don't want to force you to stick around, but I will say that I would miss you if you stopped posting.

I know Bill is a lefty, a lot more left then me, but we are both libertarian albeit I lean right and am a proud member of the republican liberty caucus.

It's ok to listen to the other side; I listen to Carvilles weekly Pod cast, don't agree with him a lot but he is a political genius.

I disagree with Maher on a lot of his positions especially on religion. However that doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points. I don't like Trump because I feel he was authoritarian but I liked his pro life position ( not sure if he really meant it, or it was just to run) and I liked his Supreme Court nominees. However I DO NOT want him to be President again; and if the left can't get over the Trump obsession and hold Biden accountable (it came out today he lied the American people about the Stan) guess who will be back.

Last edited:
I don’t think TFG wants to be president again. He didnt want to be president the first time. He wants to find a way to get some sort of face-saving revenge while doing as little actual work as possible.

Why would he run? So he can he lose by 11m votes this time rather than 3m (2016) or 7m (2020)?

People who talk about how stupid and “woke” Democrats are need to realize that the GOP and their voters are very much not the majority of the country. It’s a stupid twist of our 18th century political system that privileges land over people (and therefore rural votes over urban votes) that gives maximum 46% of the population any chance at holding power. This is not a 50/50 country.

I don’t think TFG wants to be president again. He didnt want to be president the first time. He wants to find a way to get some sort of face-saving revenge while doing as little actual work as possible.

Why would he run? So he can he lose by 11m votes this time rather than 3m (2016) or 7m (2020)?

People who talk about how stupid and “woke” Democrats are need to realize that the GOP and their voters are very much not the majority of the country. It’s a stupid twist of our 18th century political system that privileges land over people (and therefore rural votes over urban votes) that gives maximum 46% of the population any chance at holding power. This is not a 50/50 country.

Why? So he can fill his ego bu undermining the system whilst taking in donor dollars he strategically re-injects into his pocket or into his power waging retirement PAC fund.

Why? So he can fill his ego bu undermining the system whilst taking in donor dollars he strategically re-injects into his pocket or into his power waging retirement PAC fund.

He wants the cash, sure — they rake in cash every day begging for donations from his simpleton true believer losers, which only works as long as they pretend he will run.

But he doesn’t want the job. And he will lose again, unless the system is rigged even more in the GOP’s favor via voter suppression. And he knows he will lose again. No Republican will win the popular vote.

I know Bill is a lefty, a lot more left then me, but we are both libertarian albeit I lean right and am a proud member of the republican liberty caucus.

It's ok to listen to the other side; I listen to Carvilles weekly Pod cast, don't agree with him a lot but he is a political genius.

I disagree with Maher on a lot of his positions especially on religion. However that doesn't mean he doesn't have valid points. I don't like Trump because I feel he was authoritarian but I liked his pro life position ( not sure if he really meant it, or it was just to run) and I liked his Supreme Court nominees. However I DO NOT want him to be President again; and if the left can't get over the Trump obsession and hold Biden accountable (it came out today he lied the American people about the Stan) guess who will be back.
This is a pile of horse crap.

There have been numerous policy objections to Biden by those who voted for him in here, from the left and the center.

The only objections heard around here to Trump were some variation of "I don't like him as a person but..."

lol Maher is not a 'lefty' in any realistic sense, he's more of a South Park-esque libertarian than anything else.

He’s not a “lefty” but he’s most certainly a liberal in the ideological sense, but more importantly in the literal party affiliation and support sense.

The way things are going right now the GQP won’t need to steal an election, they can run on the Dems not being unified enough to pass their legislation.

Of course the GQP are blocking everything but the Dems can’t really out maneuver on messaging.

All that people will hear is that they control the House, Senate, and Presidency and couldn’t pass infrastructure or Build Back Better

Sounds like Joe M can be negotiated with, but Krysten is pretty much a dope. Won’t agree to anything cause she has a bad feeling. No proposal, no compromise, she just won’t say why.

Sounds like Joe M can be negotiated with, but Krysten is pretty much a dope. Won’t agree to anything cause she has a bad feeling. No proposal, no compromise, she just won’t say why.

Perhaps the single-biggest mystery, as the various players haggle over the infrastructure bills, is exactly what Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) is doing. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) is a fly in the ointment, too, but at least he comes from a red state, and one that would clearly benefit from a boatload of pork. Further, he is at least willing to share some details about what he does/does not want. Yes, those details seem to change on a regular basis, but at least he isn't a complete cipher.

Sinema, on the other hand, represents a purple state, and so doesn't have the excuse that she'd be booted out of office if she's not very careful. There are a number of Senators from states that are as swingy as hers (Mark Kelly, who is also in Arizona, Maggie Hassan in New Hampshire, Raphael Warnock in Georgia, arguably Catherine Cortez Masto in Nevada) and yet have remained loyal foot soldiers for Chuck Schumer. And all of them are up next year, while Sinema is not up until 2024. Further, she is being much more close-lipped than Manchin about exactly what her concerns are, and what it is that she wants.

A story from The New York Times may have an answer. Yesterday, she held a big-dollar fundraiser ($5,800/pop) for members of groups who oppose the $3.5 trillion bill. According to Salon, since she took office, Sinema has collected in excess of $1.5 million from groups that oppose the reconciliation package.

It could very well be, then, that there was no 3-D chess here, and that the real story is both simple and as old as politics itself: Sinema was bought and paid for. If so, then the question is how "honest" she is. And by that, we mean "honest" as defined by (wildly corrupt) 19th-century politician Simon Cameron: "An honest politician is one who, when he's bought, stays bought." Cameron died 33 years before the first woman served in the Senate, but the sentiment still holds.

It won't be long before we find out how intractable Sinema really is. If her sole focus is her 3-years-in-the-future reelection campaign, and the war chest she will have, that is pretty self-centered. Beyond that, however, we are mystified as to what she is thinking. The Democrats have no choice but to tolerate Manchin, since he's the only Democrat who can get elected from West Virginia. But if she betrays the Party, they are going to support—perhaps surreptitiously, perhaps openly—a heavy-duty primary challenger, either Katie Hobbs (if she loses the gubernatorial race next year) or Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ). In that case, having already lost the progressive vote, Sinema might well be an underdog to be renominated. And even if she survived, she would then have to make it through a none-too-easy general election campaign. In short, it sure looks to us like she's playing with fire. (Z & V)

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2021/Senate/Maps/Sep29.html#item-5

The way things are going right now the GQP won’t need to steal an election, they can run on the Dems not being unified enough to pass their legislation.

Of course the GQP are blocking everything but the Dems can’t really out maneuver on messaging.

All that people will hear is that they control the House, Senate, and Presidency and couldn’t pass infrastructure or Build Back Better

Ehhh, harsh budget battles are par for the course in D.C. And that includes the many threats of shutdowns and/or the fewer actual shutdowns.

And as DaveC's article reminds us, big money in U.S. politics is also par for the course. Like the article says, "the real story is both simple and as old as politics itself."

How many issues would go away if not for citizens United and further regulations on $$$$ in politics ?

Yes, the Democrats are bad at many things, but I’m also sick of the free pass the GOP gets from their supporters and the media when they behave like psychopaths on the regular. The attitude is just, “there they go again, threatening to shoot the hostages while stacks of TNT are strapped to their chest — boys will be boys, I guess! Meanwhile, Democrats in disarray!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom