US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inflation is a big problem. If it becomes a permanent thing Biden is sunk. So are Democrats

The Hill.com

President Biden's approval rating has dropped to a new low of 50 percent in Gallup's opinion poll, according to results published Friday.

Biden's approval rating dropped 6 percentage points from June in the new poll, which surveyed 1,007 adults between July 6 and July 21.

The lower rating comes amid new fears about inflation, a rising number of coronavirus cases and a slowing vaccination rate.

Broken down by political party, only 12 percent of Republicans give the president a positive job approval rating in comparison to 90 percent of Democrats and 48 percent of independents. The survey notes that his approval ratings among Democrats and independents are the lowest for those two groups to date, while the Republican rating was up 1 point.

Gallup noted that it's common for presidents to see about a 3-point decrease in their average job approval ratings between their first and second quarters.

But Gallup found that Biden's second quarter average approval rating of 53 percent was better than both former President Clinton's at 44 percent and former President Trump's at 38.8 percent.

Biden's highest approval rating was 57 percent in late January/early February and in April.

Former President Obama's second quarter average job approval rating was 62 percent and former President George W. Bush's was 55.8 percent.

The margin of error is 4 percentage points

Fortune.com

An antiabortion law in Texas will soon allow any U.S. citizen to sue Texas-based abortion clinics, doctors, and anyone who aids in an abortion. If successful, the petitioner, who does not have to reside in Texas, will receive an $10,000 award and the cost for attorney’s fees. Pro-choice advocates worry that this cash prize may create a new cottage industry of aggressive antiabortion bounty hunters.

The provision, which passed the Texas state legislature this spring, is part of a larger antiabortion bill which will ban all abortions after a doctor detects a fetal heartbeat, usually around the six-week mark.
How much more do they want to make (most) women howl with rage at the utter arrogance, and patriarchy of controlling their bodies, and thus lives. (A lot more)
I fear for my younger women-sisters.

We should honestly just agree to disagree with Texas and go our separate ways.

This way we don't have to bail them out when their electrical grid fails again.

Maybe we can even build a wall around them. I've heard that's a thing.
A bit temping, but no can do. There are liberal, progressive Texans I know there. Some who probably couldn't afford to move out of State.

Jimmy Jordan was the perfect choice for the Jan 6th commission. What's the problem?
While I'm almost sure Nancy would have done it anyway I called my Free Congress # the day before she announced that she rejected him - that she should reject him - since he'd be like a clown on the committee.

it's not often that i'll praise nancy pelosi, but the way she played mccarthy like a fiddle over the jan 6th committee was masterful. now she has a hand-picked bipartisan committee with full subpoena powers, and not one single member on it who will fanatically defend trump or obstruct its work. :up:

so here's the thing - we can organize our way past these efforts. for now. if we lose the white house in 2024? maybe not... but for now, it's still doable .

it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be trying to fight them - it means that we shouldn't use it as an excuse.

i do think Biden should openly come out against the filibuster and try to put pressure on Manchin. I also think Manchin will not cave (nor will Sinema). So that pressure is mostly just for show.

If we truly want to stop this train, we need to take more seats in 2022. full stop.

want to overturn the filibuster? Have a big enough margin in the Senate where Manchin doesn't matter.

It's funny how democrats kill Manchin.

Is he holding shit up? Yes.

Would someone with more of a liberal slant be preferred? Yes.

Is someone more liberal possible in West Virginia? Hell no.

Would Cocaine Mitch still be majority leader without Manchin? Yes.

The issue isn't Manchin. The issue is decades of shitty politics leading to this point. The issue is not having enough of an advantage to make Manchin's stance on the filibuster irrelevant.

Go get Toomey's seat. Get Johnson's seat. Hold on to Warnock, Kelly and Hassan's seats.

Make it so that Manchin's value is keeping the majority and nothing more. this IS possible. The most draconian rules being passed are in Texas and Florida. OK. Great. We're not flipping those seats, anyways. We're not flipping Florida or Missouri. We could potentially flip North Carolina, but it's a long shot.

Milwaukee can turn out and bounce Ron Johnson. This audit in Arizona appears to be backfiring in the state - which bodes well for Kelly. Nevada ultimately comes down to the Culinary Unions in Las Vegas and should stay blue. Pennsylvania? Yea - democrats can win that seat even in the face of suppression.

So do it. Shit, or get off the pot.

And then? Between 2022 and 2024? Pass everything. Fix the filibuster rule and ram as much shit through as you can. Fix the judiciary.

All of the protesting and jockeying right now is for show. Nothing matters, nothing can change unless the democrats are able to add Senate seats (and, of course, keep the House) in 2022.

Last edited:
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/27/1021197474/capitol-police-officer-testifies-to-the-racism-he-faced-during-the-jan-6-riot

As pro-Trump insurrectionists poured into the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, a Black Capitol Police officer passionately testified Tuesday that he faced racist epithets, the likes of which he had never heard while serving in uniform.

"You hear that, guys, this n***** voted for Joe Biden!" a woman in a pink MAGA shirt yelled toward Capitol Police Pfc. Harry Dunn, he recounted, after Dunn said he voted for President Biden.

"Boo! F****** n*****!" the crowd of about 20 yelled back, Dunn recalled.

Dunn said his story wasn't unique. He heard from another Black officer that insurrectionists yelled at that officer: "Put your gun down, and we'll show you what kind of n***** you really are!"

Dunn said he tries to keep politics out of the job, but in this instance one of the rioters, whom Dunn told to leave the Capitol, said then-President Donald Trump invited them to the Capitol — and that no one voted for Biden.

"Well, I voted for Joe Biden," Dunn told the crowd in front of him. "Does my vote not count? Am I nobody?"

Later that afternoon, after the rioters had cleared, Dunn said he became emotional. Sitting on a bench with a fellow Black officer, he yelled, "'How the [expletive] can something like this happen?! Is this America?' I began sobbing, and officers came over to console me."

Gee shocking that he used the homophobic slur so many times

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/officer-michael-fanone-shares-wildly-vulgar-voicemail-he-got-from-trump-supporter-youre-a-punk-ft-youre-a-lying-fck/

How many laws existed to allow legislators to overturn results ? How many Secretary of State positions are being challenged by people who would gladly bend the knee to Trump or someone else ?

There’s a reason why so many laws are being passed after 2020, it’s so they can succeed in 2024.

The real damage being done herr is more of the Donald Trump stuff. Gaslight palooza. These people are going to continue to believe in the legitimacy of challenging the election because their elected officials are refusing to break kayfabe.

How many laws existed to allow legislators to overturn results ? How many Secretary of State positions are being challenged by people who would gladly bend the knee to Trump or someone else ?

There’s a reason why so many laws are being passed after 2020, it’s so they can succeed in 2024.

and every legal challenge to the election was shot down - often by trump appointed judges, because they were comical.

they are making it harder to vote. there's no doubt. the judiciary still stands in the way - and a very GOP slanted judiciary laughed everything out of court in 2020.

i don't doubt that they will try to cheat, and they will do everything in their power. but the phrase OVERTURN is used too often. the cheating and maneuvering the GOP is doing is most impactful on and before the election takes place. after the election is over, there is no overturning short of an actual military coup.

we were pushed to the brink last year - the judiciary, and even the legislative - held against a push by the executive to overturn the results of the election. and in the case of the judiciary - held strongly against all attempts in a bipartisan fashion.

My only concern is, with new laws passed by these Republican state legislators, will judges change how they view them? It was certainly easy for them to throw challenges out based on the law in place at the time, but if there's a new law in place for a certain state, and it's the Democrats turn to challenge, how successful will they be?

Lol maniac Rodrigo Duterte out there saying the following to people who won’t get vaccinated: “For those who do not want it, well, for all I care, you can die anytime.”

I wish our former extremist leader at least took that position rather than wreaking internal havoc via gaslight.

I understand what you’re saying, but still, Donald Trump championed the vaccine as his vaccine we would be a further ahead. End of.

that's fair and i'm not going to argue against that point - but i just want to caution the thinking that we're in this boat only because of trump voters in the heartland.

Nope. There’s a ton of people who believe this is some conspiracy of microchips, 5G, spike protein latching onto uteruses, mind control, sending the unvaccinated to death camps to be eaten by the elites.

I have wondered about the microchip thing tho. What powers it ? Is that what the second shot is for?? It sends in a extension chord or it’s own power grid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom