US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think his pants were on backwards. It’s a clue from Q!!!

Then there’s this

https://twitter.com/marianne_levine/status/1401499819382824963?s=21

GOP won’t vote for it so therefore i won’t vote for it! We must have bipartisanship!!!!!

In what other countries does this happen? Doesnt the majority party get to set the laws, with maybe some input from others ?

Here's the deal with Manchin - he's a democrat in name only.

Here's the other deal with Manchin - he's about as liberal a senator as you can expect from West Virginia and without him Mitch McConnell would still be majority leader.

So democrats need to not worry so much about him and focus on flipping more seats in 2022.

Machin got under 50% of the vote in his 2018 re-election, and West Virginia has only gone more to the right since then. Unless something happens that changes that course, I don't see him getting re-elected in 2024. He's playing a fool's game here. Yes, he's still the best option right now, and Dems have control as a result, but at this point he should do what's best for the country.

And he turns 74 this year. I know, we have seen (and continue to see) plenty of politicians continue to stay on with advanced age. but is he really going to run again for another six year term at 78? Because if he's not, he should stop fucking around and let his party govern.

My chief complaint is that the republicans have fake bipartisans who always vote with republicans, but democrats have fake bipartisans who also always vote with republicans. Gipped.

My chief complaint is that the republicans have fake bipartisans who always vote with republicans, but democrats have fake bipartisans who also always vote with republicans. Gipped.

collinssusan_030320gn_lead.jpg

Kinda just thought about it and the bottom line is that “bipartisans” do not exist anymore. Centrists still do though, but they’re not bipartisan. You know, like Lisa Murkowski is a centrist.

But any sense that they want bipartisanship is... a mirage. There aren’t enough of them (centrists) to attain bipartisanship and they know it. It’s just a facade to defend themselves in re-election. Imagine someone running a campaign on actual bipartisanship as their platform. Doesn’t exist.

Machin got under 50% of the vote in his 2018 re-election, and West Virginia has only gone more to the right since then. Unless something happens that changes that course, I don't see him getting re-elected in 2024. He's playing a fool's game here. Yes, he's still the best option right now, and Dems have control as a result, but at this point he should do what's best for the country.

And he turns 74 this year. I know, we have seen (and continue to see) plenty of politicians continue to stay on with advanced age. but is he really going to run again for another six year term at 78? Because if he's not, he should stop fucking around and let his party govern.
Unlike Sinema, who to me comes across as an opportunistic cynic, I think Manchin is a genuine believer in the Senate and all its trappings and grandiosity, which makes him even more of a fool. I think a lot of what he says is insincere in the way that all politicians are insincere, but I do think he genuinely believes that the filibuster is important for some stupid reason. Having read Caro's LBJ biography about his time in the Senate, it is incredible how often so many of these senators delude themselves into believing the Senate's brake slamming on needed legislation is important, and that bipartisanship, unmoored from any actual beliefs or policy, is a worthy goal in and of itself.

Kinda just thought about it and the bottom line is that “bipartisans” do not exist anymore. Centrists still do though, but they’re not bipartisan. You know, like Lisa Murkowski is a centrist.

But any sense that they want bipartisanship is... a mirage. There aren’t enough of them (centrists) to attain bipartisanship and they know it. It’s just a facade to defend themselves in re-election. Imagine someone running a campaign on actual bipartisanship as their platform. Doesn’t exist.

Basically the only bipartisan consensus that remains is a need to invest a shitload of money into the military.

Yes I know it's unimportant in the grand scheme of things. But I still like it, and I think Jill Biden is a sincere person.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/10/world/europe/jill-biden-jacket-melania-trump.html

60c23d3226e70.image.jpg

She should really have just not, imo

Dr. Jill shouldn't have worn the Love jacket? In the article she explains the meaning in her own words.

Of course people are going to compare it to Melania's awful jacket. She will never live that one down, rightfully so. It was intentionally tone deaf. Whenever I think of her as First Lady, that jacket always comes to mind.

Dr. Jill shouldn't have worn the Love jacket? In the article she explains the meaning in her own words.

Of course people are going to compare it to Melania's awful jacket. She will never live that one down, rightfully so. It was intentionally tone deaf. Whenever I think of her as First Lady, that jacket always comes to mind.

Why are we still making public statements about the Trumps? I’d prefer we left them behind.

she isn't wearing that particular jacket during the very first media event of their very first overseas trip without knowing exactly what she's doing. she can be a nice person, and also be taking a petty shot at melania at the same time.

i agree with LN7, it's unnecessary. the bidens should stay as far away as possible from taking shots at (or even referring to) the previous administration - get on with the job at hand and let the courts deal with the trumps.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a time when liberals were anti government in their own hippie way? Now all of them want to do exactly what the government tells them to. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom