US Politics XXXIII: Get Inoculated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I post something when I think something warrants a response. I don’t feel the need to keep my post count high by responding to the usual blather. If it’s considered “drive bys” to not be obsessively engaged in every mealy-mouthed exchange with this group, then I guess I “drive by”. What’s always more telling is that none of you can actually ever factually argue against the points I make.

I’m still surprised that so many hang on with bleeding fingers to this Democratic Party, as if they are actually competent for one, have anyone’s interests, including that of Americans in general, but their own, aren’t COMPLETELY hypocritical in everything they say and do, and just change their views whichever way the wind blows. “I have to agree with them because it’s my side “ can be mind numbing. That’s why I don’t have a side. I take each person, each policy ,and analyze it for myself. Right or wrong. That’s why I’m STILL amazed that even though you all think Biden was the best choice for President, you still can’t admit that he’s a senile puppet, who has a disgusting predatory history, in photos and film, preying on women and children.

I post something when I think something warrants a response. I don’t feel the need to keep my post count high by responding to the usual blather. If it’s considered “drive bys” to not be obsessively engaged in every mealy-mouthed exchange with this group, then I guess I “drive by”. What’s always more telling is that none of you can actually ever factually argue against the points I make.

I’m still surprised that so many hang on with bleeding fingers to this Democratic Party, as if they are actually competent for one, have anyone’s interests, including that of Americans in general, but their own, aren’t COMPLETELY hypocritical in everything they say and do, and just change their views whichever way the wind blows. “I have to agree with them because it’s my side “ can be mind numbing. That’s why I don’t have a side. I take each person, each policy ,and analyze it for myself. Right or wrong. That’s why I’m STILL amazed that even though you all think Biden was the best choice for President, you still can’t admit that he’s a senile puppet, who has a disgusting predatory history, in photos and film, preying on women and children.
[emoji1782]

That’s why I don’t have a side. I take each person, each policy ,and analyze it for myself. Right or wrong. That’s why I’m STILL amazed that even though you all think Biden was the best choice for President, you still can’t admit that he’s a senile puppet, who has a disgusting predatory history, in photos and film, preying on women and children.
images

images

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F161012102650-ivanka-sits-on-trump.jpg

this place was much nicer when he was on his ordinary hiatus last year, so i'd prefer he just gets ignored and bored and he leaves again for good.

Police just shot and killed another Black teenager today in America, around the same time that the Chauvin verdict came down. This system cannot be reformed. We need politicians who talk about way more than reform and training. We need politicians who are willing to look at real solutions to fundamentally alter law enforcement and justice in this country.

Last edited:
The body cam footage of that incident was hard to watch. The body cam footage shows how, in literal seconds after the officer arrival, you just see total chaos unfold. You had a male kicking a female in the head while she was on the ground and then an officer shot a knife welding female trying to stab another female? It’s just insane and hard to take in.

Not to play Devil’s advocate, but did the officer potentially save lives here if the girl was charging at other girls with a knife? Obviously don’t want anyone to die of course but a knife still is a deadly weapon so I’m not sure that the cop was necessarily breaking protocol here.

The body cam footage of that incident was hard to watch. The body cam footage shows how, in literal seconds after the officer arrival, you just see total chaos unfold. You had a male kicking a female in the head while she was on the ground and then an officer shot a knife welding female trying to stab another female? It’s just insane and hard to take in.

Not to play Devil’s advocate, but did the officer potentially save lives here if the girl was charging at other girls with a knife? Obviously don’t want anyone to die of course but a knife still is a deadly weapon so I’m not sure that the cop was necessarily breaking protocol here.

Yeah, the video shows the girl about to stab the other girl in the pink sweatsuit, looks like a justifiable use of force.
Have to disagree with Peef in this case, at least based on what we've seen thus far.
If the officer doesn't fire, someone else likely gets killed in this incident.

Yeah, the video shows the girl about to stab the other girl in the pink sweatsuit, looks like a justifiable use of force.
Have to disagree with Peef in this case, at least based on what we've seen thus far.
If the officer doesn't fire, someone else likely gets killed in this incident.

Yep and while it definitely doesn't change the message that police reform, training, racist cops, etc. absolutely needs a ton of work, I don't think this particular incident is the right one to use as fuel, and we need to be careful about using every incident as a launching pad.

the girl was literally in the act of trying to stab another human being. the shot saved the other human being's life.

it's a tragedy - but it was a justifiable use of force and trying to make every single incident fit a narrative a) plays right into the hands of the right, and b) belittles actual cases of abuse of force by police.

the officer saved a person's life.

Ezd211wXEAIfy5O

the video shows her arm swinging backwards and then forwards towards the girl in pink. the only reason the girl in pink wasn't stabbed was because the officer acted.

Last edited:
the girl was literally in the act of trying to stab another human being. the shot saved the other human being's life.

it's a tragedy - but it was a justifiable use of force and trying to make every single incident fit a narrative a) plays right into the hands of the right, and b) belittles actual cases of abuse of force by police.

the officer saved a person's life.

Ezd211wXEAIfy5O

the video shows her arm swinging backwards and then forwards towards the girl in pink. the only reason the girl in pink wasn't stabbed was because the officer acted.

Great point about playing into the hands of the right. That's why I'm really hoping Shaun King and others don't try to use this. It's a bad look for the left if they go full force outrage on this one.

Edit: Shaun King already posted about it last night. Ugh.

Last edited:
The body cam footage had not been released when I made that post. I'll retract linking the sentiment from this particular incident.

I will not retract the sentiment itself, though. This may just be an exception that proves the rule. Minneapolis tried reform and training after Philando Castile was killed. What did that get us? George Floyd and Daunte Wright. There is no reforming the system. This will happen again and again and again.

The body cam footage had not been released when I made that post. I'll retract linking the sentiment from this particular incident.

I will not retract the sentiment itself, though. This may just be an exception that proves the rule. Minneapolis tried reform and training after Philando Castile was killed. What did that get us? George Floyd and Daunte Wright. There is no reforming the system. This will happen again and again and again.

I'm on board with this and kudos for retracting after the footage came out.

The DOJ will be investigating the Minneapolis PD. Maybe that's useless, but it's a start. Would never have happened under Trump.

Major reforms are desperately needed. Start with firing cops who engage in misconduct and racism. No second chances, immediate termination. Stop protecting them, obviously.

Presidential contender

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) was the lone senator to vote against legislation on Thursday aimed at combating a surge in anti-Asian American hate crimes.

Hawley, a potential 2024 presidential contender, called the bill "too broad."

"As a former prosecutor, my view is it's dangerous to simply give the federal government open-ended authority to define a whole new class of federal hate crime incidents," he said in a statement.

Presidential contender

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) was the lone senator to vote against legislation on Thursday aimed at combating a surge in anti-Asian American hate crimes.

Hawley, a potential 2024 presidential contender, called the bill "too broad."

"As a former prosecutor, my view is it's dangerous to simply give the federal government open-ended authority to define a whole new class of federal hate crime incidents," he said in a statement.

Hawley - ptooie...with his supporting sedition, he should talk. Then again he has NO shame

Of in Florida... DeSantis is doing just that on a State level! :mad:

Nearly half of all Republicans questioned in a new poll said that they believe former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was wrongly convicted of murdering George Floyd.

A total of 46 percent of respondents to the CBS News-YouGov poll who identified as Republican said the Hennepin County jury reached the "wrong verdict." Only 10 percent of Democrats said the same thing.

Among all respondents, 75 percent said the jury reached the right verdict, while 25 percent said it did not.

The 25 percent of Americans who said they believe the jury reached the wrong verdict also said they strongly disagree with the ideas of the Black Lives Matter movement, CBS News noted.

honestly? that's shitty reporting.

that a majority of republicans actually agreed with the verdict is the bigger story.

75% of americans agree with the verdict. those are huge numbers. 54% of what is essentially become a highly racist political party agreed with the verdict.

it would be nice if the media stops putting false hype on the downside of what is generally a very positive scenario.

like the new thing about people skipping their second dose of the vaccine. MILLIONS OF AMERICANS ARE SKIPPING THEIR SECOND DOSE!!!

yea - great. 92% of people AREN'T skipping their second dose. that's amazing. that's significantly higher than any other two dose vaccine program in our history.

but, nope -we need to make something out of nothing, so let's talk about the 8% who didn't (who, btw, also have a very high level of protection even after just that one dose).

this is how trumpism was able to take hold - and continues to take hold. the media DOES too often create their own narratives on stories. not to the extreme of being "the enemy of the people," but it plays right into the hands of the nutjobs on the right when they do shit like this.

i'm done with my rant now. i'll see my way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom