US Politics XXXII: Cancel my subscription to the insurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Trump was TOTALLY normal until last week. Everything was on the up and up. I mean sure, he sometimes went off on Twitter but that's just part of his personality. His behaviour was totally normal when we all voted for him in November. Nobody could have seen this coming. No one!

And now a 3rd member has tested positive for covid after the coup. Those GOP members who refused to wear a mask during the shelter in place need to take tests and/or release their results too.

Seems corporate people aren't the only ones distancing themselves...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/early-warning-signs-emerge-gop-051435341.html

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Since last week’s deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, about 225 Republicans logged in to the election office in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to change their party registration. Ethan Demme was one of them.

“Ever since they started denying the election result, I kind of knew it was heading this way," said Demme, the county's former Republican Party chairman who has opposed President Donald Trump and is now an independent. "If they kept going, I knew there’s no way I can keep going. But if you’ve been a Republican all your life, it’s hard to jump out of a big boat and into a little boat.”

Officials are seeing similar scenes unfold elsewhere.

In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 192 people have changed their party registration since the Jan. 6 riot. Only 13 switched to the GOP — the other 179 changed to Democrat, independent or a third party, according to Bethany Salzarulo, the director of the bureau of elections.

In Linn County, Iowa, home to Cedar Rapids, more than four dozen voters dropped their Republican Party affiliations in the 48 hours after the Capitol attack. They mostly switched to no party, elections commissioner Joel Miller said, though a small number took the highly unusual step of cancelling their registrations altogether.

The party switching pales in comparison to the more than 74 million people who voted for Trump in November. And it's unclear whether they're united in their motivations. Some may be rejecting politics altogether while others may be leaving a Republican Party they fear will be less loyal to Trump.

But they offer an early sign of the volatility ahead for the GOP as the party braces for political fallout of the riots that Trump incited.

“I do think there’s a palpable shift, from knee-jerk defense of the president to ‘wow, that was a bridge too far,’” said Kirk Adams, the former Republican speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives.

I agree that it's ridiculous that it had to take something like this to make people finally distance themselves. BUt if this continues to hurt the GOP and their election chances going forward, then good. Just one more way in which they can suffer consequences.

I think it will happen. These things tend to move quickly after a tipping point is reached, and McConnell and Cheney should be enough to open the floodgates.

Republicans did get their Supreme Court and tax cuts, so they can let him go now.

But I'm curious about the electoral implications for the party going forward. They seem unable to be able to win a national election without the Trump base.

Sure. But given how guarded McConnell usually is, these things don't reach the NYT accidentally. It might be that they are trying to force Trump to resign, but I think his brain is incapable of admitting wrongdoing.

Let’s not give these GOP too much credit. Great some are finding their spine at this moment but it probably has more to do with shah news and info is to come out over the next few weeks or even months of investigations.

I think we’ll find out they members of the GOP party and White House, potentially Defense/FBI worked together to allow this insurrection to get as far and deadly as it did. Pure luck is why it didn’t turn out worse.

Mitch will try to use any angle of impeachment to say they care about the rule of law!! As time passes it’ll be back to Biden is trashing the constitution and any law passed is tyranny!!!

Oh, McConnell would be acting completely out of self-interest. Imagine having a Trump primary challenge hanging over their heads for the next 3 years. By impeaching him, they end all of it.

They have hated Trump all along but he was a useful idiot.

Dianne Feinstein, 91, filed the paperwork to run for re-election. A 6-year term.

Steve Scalise when he sees all the good will built up from his recovery after getting shot

HugeDecisiveAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Actually I recall thinking about this once upon a time. Age limits and longer term limits for the court, term limits for the house and senate.

One is fixed and the other is semi-variable.

Stories are starting to come out that we hadn't heard yet that point towards potential involvement of other members of Congress and, welp, we're in for a hell of a week folks.

Yeeeeeeeeeah, this is...disturbing on so many levels, to say the very least.

Every last person who was involved needs to be removed as soon as humanly possible and go straight to prison. I know charges that serious can lead to a pretty lengthy prison sentence as it is, which would be great, but I dunno, I'd be fine with going with full on life imprisonment at this point.

The Sammy Davis Jr lookalike rally organizer says it was Mo Brooks(the take down names kicking ass guy), Paul Gosar, and Andy Biggs.

Somehow I think Jim Jordan and Ted Cruz were involved too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom